8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » How do you keep track of your films owned?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you keep track of your films owned?
Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2013 07:50 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
For those who have a large collection,How do you keep track of all your films? Do you have a database on your computer or a list written down, shelved in alphabetical order?

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 11, 2013 09:19 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use ALL MY MOVIES http://www.bolidesoft.com/allmymovies.html to keep track of all my DVD & FILMS.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2013 09:25 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Delicious Library, it lets me keep track of what is on loan as well.
http://delicious-monster.com/

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 12, 2013 02:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Microsoft Works data base.

--------------------
Maurice

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 12, 2013 03:05 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Movie Collectorz ... Very nice and easy to regitster movies. Search title, EAN code and it pops up actors, directors and a lot of info.

http://www.collectorz.com/

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2013 06:16 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Vidar... excellent program. I use it for my DVD collection (about 1000).
BUT...
the basic program is quite good enough! No point in upgrades, cloud storage etc., etc. Basic program, basic price.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 12, 2013 06:26 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me too ... Quite good and I think I have some approx 3500 films in there, not counting my VHS films, which is another 800-900 I believe

Also use Music Collectorz and Game Collectors

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2013 06:44 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a high tech system.........I have a file card for each film....with information about it...when bought...when and where shown ....condition....etc . Very high tech. Since my films are scattered all about the place. I made a little notebook chart ..showing the physical location of each print. And remarkably, I've never lost data from a computer crash or virus. Note cards are about a dollar or so for a couple of hundred. I have about 300 features and maybe 1,000 shorts. I can locate the film or the film information with the search engine I have--my brain and the alphabetical filing system ...and I don't have to pay microsoft for this remarkable program. When I sell a film, I hit "delete" by throwing the note card in the trash. If I find I've mistakenly deleted a film card, I can "undelete" by taking the card out of the trash. Ah...technology is wonderful.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 12, 2013 07:00 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Gary nice to know we still have a few analogue paper fans here [Cool] although I do use excel for mine. The problem with many downloads is they will not pick up on 8mm distributors or the old 16mm library’s who used to hold them particularly Collectors Club in my case. It is nice to list what year these prints hit 8mm listing the release dates and 4 X400 etc.I usually carry a printed list with me when I go to a film fair for example as it often comes in handy.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2013 11:22 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Lee, I still prefer to use paper, It would take ages to transfer it all onto a computer. I keep seperate loosely alphabetical lists for each format i.e 9.5mm Silent, 9.5mm Sound, 16mm, and 8mm. The 9.5mm titles are all given a number and stored numericaly as and when purchased, as are the V.H.S. and DVD, because there are so many of them. The Laserdiscs and other film formats are not really worth numbering because there are not that many of them and can be stored alphabetically.
In addition the VHS and DVD lists detail whether they have been recorded off TV or purchased, Production company, Director, main players and genre. Ken Finch. [Smile]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 13, 2013 11:45 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Collectorz isn't that bad for this ... You enter bar code (on newer films, DVD and Blu-Ray) and the title pops up with covers and info galore. Or you enter your title, press search and up pops choices for titles matching. Choose your title (preview is there) and all info is stored. And so much easier to maintain than lists. Deleting ... Easy ... Sorting ... Loads of ways

This is one thing I think digital is okay for, film, not so much

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC