8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » FADE - just losing green?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FADE - just losing green?
Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2015 11:44 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so here is an eBay listing of CAT BALLOU. Print looks in good condition and is not excessively red as too often prints are:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16mm-Feature-CAT-BALLOU-1965-Lee-Marvin-Jane-Fonda-Comedy-Western-/281766456223?hash=item419a96eb9f

But is it lacking green. I have looked through the frames shown and not much green seems to be there. I think that where Nat and Stubby are singing there should be greenery behind them. Am I right in identifying this as a Fuji print and is this how they go. Please correct me if wrong, still learning this 'fading' stuff. The print is not unattractive and maybe a good buy but it IS lacking something, isn't it?

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

|  IP: Logged

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2015 12:40 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct, this is a Fuji print and they tend to go purple as they fade. Fuji stock became low fade at about the same time Kodak introduced LPP stock in 1982. As can be seen in one of the screenshots, this print is from 1977 and will continue to fade.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2015 01:34 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, I can now see 'fuji safety' and '77 JS'. I was concentrating on the image before. I googled images from the film and you can clearly see that Stubby Kaye's jacket is a strong shade of green. The trees should be green also. There is a little dull green left in the train carriage scenes but should be stronger. Very educational. Pleased with myself that I guessed FUJI before actually seeing it, honest! ( Based on forum talk about Fuji but I hadn't seen many examples.) Compared to the awful red-only prints it looks good but think I will give it a miss.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC