8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Help needed with 1680

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help needed with 1680
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 08:19 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a strange problem here. When film is loaded (channel load) and the projector set to forward run, the bottom loop slowly increases until the film bunches up. Obviously the projector has to be stopped but when the film is reloaded and the projector run, the same thing happens every time. It is not a matter of misloading as the film runs fine for a few seconds but as you watch the film path you can see the bottom loop gradually increasing. It is as if the bottom sprocket is not spinning at the same speed as the top sprocket, but anyone who knows these machines will be aware that apart from the motor belt everything is driven by gear wheels, so how can this be? Has anyone had this problem or can suggest a solution please.

|  IP: Logged

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 09:58 AM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Terry
Not to sure if your projector has one of theses in the uk
But on the #015533 1580/2580 there is a Lower Sprocket Gear
which breaks over time there's a metal insert in a plastic gear
the insert breaks away on which causes the film to bunch up just before the sound drum
Hope This helps I have theses gears in stock
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 11:11 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Richard
That sounds a feasible cause. It must be similar to the worm gear problem? If that is the cause it must be a big job to put right and would involve a major strip down I guess. Thanks for your info.
Terry

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 11:35 AM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
On the models i listed
It sits behind the transformer
Much easier to replace that the worm gear
You really have to look for it
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 12:35 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Richard
Ok I will have a go at that. Where can I get a replacement? or is it repairable.
I just do not understand the logic of the designers of these Bell&Howell machines.
Surely it was cheaper to manufacture a solid nylon gear or worm than it is to make a metal core and cover it with a nylon outer. Just the manufacturing process must have been more expensive.

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 12:42 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
I have theses on my web site
#015533 1580/2580 there is a Lower Sprocket Gear
under B&H Little costly to ship priority mail
But i can send it 1st class at a cheaper rate
to help you on the cost
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 12:50 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good news Richard. How is the gear wheel fixed to the shaft?

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 01:00 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings

By 1 allen set screw
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 01:58 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard
Sounds like something I will definitely have a go at. Will get back to you if I need a replacement gear wheel. Good to know that you have a stock of spares.
Many thanks for your help.
Terry

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2017 02:06 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Terry
Thank you
I have 15 of theses in stock
Many people don't know about this gear, They don't see it
It never gets greased
I replace this when i do a worm gear repair
Even when it looks good, Just to be sure.
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2017 12:27 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard
I thought I had a good array of Allen keys but I don't have one that fits the set screw on the gear wheel. Do you know what size I need?

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2017 01:00 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
Off hand i do not know
I got about 30 of these
I just grab by looks about the size if the 1st one doesn't fit ill try another They Are not marked on size
I'll have to take one of my gears to my tool supplier to get more of this size
And then i'll know what size for sure won't be until late saturday Sorry
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2017 04:13 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Richard
I've tried Imperial and millimetre but it seems to be an unusual size. I'll be interested to hear what you find.

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2017 04:38 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
terry,it could be splind, ive done a few worms on these, just a guess

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2017 08:14 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might need a Bristol toolset. Bell & Howell used set screws that required a Bristol. Lord only knows why.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2017 01:32 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry
That's interesting. I've never heard of a Bristol tool, are they peculiar to the US?

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2017 07:44 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Double post. Don't know how that happened!

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2017 09:54 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, I do not know if they are unique to the US. I am not even certain if they are unique to Bell & Howell products. I had never heard of them until several years ago when I was advised by members of 16mmfilmtalk about them. If you Google them, you will find more info and vendors. Urbanskifilm.com has them and I think you can find a set on Amazon also. Richard Patchett might comment.

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2017 08:28 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
Been doing projector repairs for over 25 Years
Never used them always found the right size allen wrench
If you like i can send you the right size At no cost to you With a order
Hello Barry
[Razz]
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2017 05:23 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard! I think that maybe I only needed the Bristols for JAN projectors.

[ February 04, 2017, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Barry Fritz ]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2017 12:53 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard
Having examined the lower gear I have determined that it is not the separation of the metal and plastic combination but that the gear is slipping on the shaft, so all I need is the correct size Allen key to tighten the grub screw. I have also found that the worm gear is in the first stage of cracking and I am beginning to think that it is a lost cause because of the cost of repair. I would not take on this repair myself.
I don't know what TQ you refer to but on mine the removal of the lower gear on my TQ3 involves much more than just removing the transformer, because it is behind the motor and other mechanism and because of this, it is also also something I would not take on. If however you can tell me the size of the Allen key it might be worth having a go at tightening the grub screw just to get it working until the worm fails altogether.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2017 06:15 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it is an SAE size or metric. Terry, did you try metric wrenches?

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2017 03:08 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry
Yes I tried metric as well. Richard says he has the correct size so I am hoping that he will get back to me with it.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC