8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » No 16mm for a Month...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No 16mm for a Month...
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 28, 2019 02:34 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A month ago I found myself with no fully operating 16mm projectors. I have 5 Elmo 16CLs and all had vital parts either missing or needing repairs. My goal was to get at least 1 running really well with a reliable 2nd and 3rd for backup. I had to order new rollers for a couple of machines in addition to new rear arm pulleys and belts. I finally received the new parts and installed them yesterday. Projectors running great! I'm back in 16mm land. As much as I love 8mm I just don't have but a couple of feature length films in my 8mm collection and I'm a movie junkie [Smile]

-

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 28, 2019 03:57 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Janice. I must admit i wouldnt want to be without my 16s now. [Wink]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 28, 2019 04:26 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Work, Janice!

It's nice to come out of a dry spell, especially when you dug the well.

I have to admit, maybe 5 of the last 6 films I have bought are 16mm, but that's mostly because being new to it there's so much I've never had access to before. (Same thing happened when I first went into S8 sound...)

I have a box of electronic parts coming in about a week, one of the results will be a not cobbled-together connection between 16mm and my sound system. (-alligator clips were never meant to be a lifestyle!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 28, 2019 04:47 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Janice ! Happy to hear you will have cine evenings again [Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 28, 2019 04:48 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(-alligator clips were never meant to be a lifestyle!)
HaHa!!!! I know what you mean Steve. Cord management has never been one of my strong points...If it's working then I tend to draw a blinds-eye to all the cords. [Roll Eyes]

@ Tom...yes, once into 16mm it's hard to go without. As far as I'm concerned no matter what film format you are watching...it's still FILM and that is what makes it special. [Cool]

@Dominique... I feel complete again. [Smile] [Razz]

--------------------
Janice

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2019 08:53 PM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW Janice , that looks just awesome .

--------------------
Dave

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 28, 2019 11:12 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Dave. I really love this model channel loader. It makes threading and changing reels a breeze and very easy on film.

I watched Bobby DiNero and Meryl Streep in "Falling in Love (1984)" ... For me it doesn't get better than that [Smile]

-

[ August 29, 2019, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 29, 2019 11:20 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice
How did you manage to get Elmo spares as I understand they are quite difficult to source?
Yes, the 16-CL is a great projector when it's adjusted correctly.

--------------------
Maurice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 29, 2019 11:47 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice...I find the most frequent repairs on the Elmo 16CL are bad rollers (rubber turns to black goo) and some have the old style rear take-up reel arm with the flat belt. The rubber on the flat belt pulley disintegrates making the takeup arm slip. This should be replaced with the newer toothed pulley and a toothed belt. Larry Urbanski http://urbanskifilm.com/supplies.html sells these new parts that are re-manufactured to Elmo specs.

I bought four of my Elmo 16CL projectors off the Goodwill Auction site https://www.shopgoodwill.com/ and one off Ebay. This model 16mm projector has held up very well over the years and with a little TLC I believe can work well for several more years.

[ August 29, 2019, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 29, 2019 02:51 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice
That's good news!
I have two 16-CL and both have had their rollers replaced, and also the required mods to the take-up system.
Both projectors, I believe, attended to by a well-known Elmo man in this country. [Smile]

--------------------
Maurice

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2019 11:24 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work Janice! I also replaced the rollers on both of my Elmo 16CLs with OEM sets from Larry, and the rear arm belt assembly on one. I also have a parts machine so if you ever need anything I may be able to help [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 01, 2019 07:08 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Joe...These are great projectors and deserve the best quality parts available. Glad to hear your Elmos are running well. Enjoy!

--------------------
Janice

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2019 06:15 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, I've been offered two CLs for the amazing price of FREE. But they've not been run for about 15 years, and I'm sure there's LOTS of work to be done on them. I might be in touch later this year when I start the process for some hand holding!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 20, 2019 06:47 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm here to hold your hand Bill [Smile] I'm definitely not as experienced with 16mm machines as I am with 8mm's...but I have done my share of repairs on my Elmo 16CLs and can help with the basics. You probably will have to put a few $$ into bringing them back into running condition, but I find these Elmos are great performers and very reliable. Having 2 machines running gives you the advantage of a backup. I have 1 + 4 backups ..and yes that's backup over-kill, but then I'm a bit paranoid. As a former Girl Scout...I like being prepared. [Smile]

Although as you can see from this thread even with 5 projectors I got left with none working for about a month. It can happen.

My 4 Backups (truthfully only 2 are fully restored backups, the third runs fine, but has deteriorating rollers, and the forth also runs fine... but needs rollers. I'm saving up to get new rollers for both)

-

[ September 21, 2019, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC