8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 35mm projector Zeiss TK35

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 35mm projector Zeiss TK35
Pierre Mdihi
Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2019 09:20 AM      Profile for Pierre Mdihi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

I know it's not the right place for this topic but i haven't found where I can post my question.

This Week-end i'm going to see someone who sell a 35mm projector a Zeiss TK35. This projector have been modified to work at 220V and have a laser reader to be able to read recent movie. The projector is suppose to be complet and fully working.

He sell this projector with 3 lens with (one anamorphic), a scotch splicer, the tripod, three new lamp, and rewinding arm.

The price 500€ (550$).

Does somebody have this kind of projector and what do you think about this ?

I'm asking because it's very difficult to have information in french or English).

|  IP: Logged

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2019 07:32 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I don't have direct experience with this particular ones, but had once owned the Russian clone of this projector (and a few more 35mm projectors [Wink] )

While the price seems about right, but you'll have typical restrictions&quirks of most portable projectors. Being portables you'll usually have to trade it with robustness/sturdiness. In some machine (possibly this one) that would include worse film handling, too.
(That roller framing is the film killer, bet on that.)

For casual use and simplicity this might be a good deal. But if you don't mind massive footprint (or no space restriction) you may try looking for full-size machine instead. For roughly the same cost the full-size ones will simply outperform most if not all portables.

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Pierre Mdihi
Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2019 02:30 AM      Profile for Pierre Mdihi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks you Nantawat for your response. At first, i was thinking it's was a good apportunitie but not anymore. I have been told thats it's fragile, the lamp is weak and the the roller framing not very kind with movie.
I will continue to look around if there is something better.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2019 09:46 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a Japanese-made Tokiwa T60 portable projector which once was very popular in my country for outdoor cinema show business due to its portability/simplicity/ruggedness.

-

But as you can see, this beast uses the same roller framing principle as those TK35. And boy, it LOVES to chew the film. [Eek!] Any less than perfect splice? - then say good-bye. And don't even think about running brittle/shrunken acetate print through this little devil, just plain impossible.

Moreover, the lower roller was set, the worse film handling it would be since the film will have to make a sharper turn around the darn roller. Imagine driving your car at full speed into 4m roundabout and expecting good, smooth ride. [Roll Eyes]

I bet that this disadvantage does apply to TK35 too. No doubt about that.

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Pierre Mdihi
Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2019 01:16 PM      Profile for Pierre Mdihi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Desipite the nice disign the only good point seems to be the portability. Thank you for your expertise.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 10, 2019 01:37 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pierre, keep in mind that you need a lot of space to store 35 mm films.

--------------------
Dominique

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 13, 2019 03:43 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey I struggle with 16mm and only have about 20 shorts and some trailers. !!!

I`d have a long hard think Pierre.

Best Mark.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC