8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Panasonic VP (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Panasonic VP
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 08, 2004 09:24 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope fellow collectors will forgive me for introducing a VP topic, but I would just like to pass along a personal recommendation for anyone considering the purchase of a VP to supplement their super 8mm film collecting. I recently purchased a new Panasonic PT-AE700U projector, and would totally recommend this VP to anyone. It is a 16:9 WXGA LCD projector with 1,000 lumens brightness and a 2000:1 contrast ratio. It features Panasonic's dynamic iris feature which continuously regulates the brightness and gamma level of the picture, and also Panasonic's smooth screen technology which effectively eliminates the screen door effect. It puts out a beautifully rich coloured, bright contrasty picture with NO screendoor effect up to a foot away from the picture! For $2000.00 it is a very good buy indeed, and is equal to or better than most projectors in the $5k- $10K range. I believe this projector is ideal for film collectors for a couple of reasons besides its beautiful picture quality. First, it has horizontal and vertical lens shift capability (similar to the vertical lens shift feature on the Eumig 900 series super 8 projectors), and most importantly, it has a 2X zoom lens ( similar to most S8 projection lenses) so you don'd have the bother of a ceiling mount, and you can put the VP on a shelf or bookcase at the back of the room, in the same place as the super 8 projector. This is a great performing VP for casual viewing of DVD's, but that's all you can do with it, and like all VP'S it is a dull characterless plastic box compared with a GS1200!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2004 02:02 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very interesting Paul, I am thinking that I shall one day supplement my 8mm collection with DVD but shall have to get young Rexette to do a few more nights at the club before I can afford it [Wink] .

I wonder if the same model is available in the UK?

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2004 02:20 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

As mike is too shy to ask can you describe the box it comes in? [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 08, 2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, tell Rexette from me to get her act together so you can get that VP! As far as I know, the AE700U is available in the UK.
Incidentally, I hope you are planning to bring Rexette to the next BFCC, which I am planning on attending!

Tony, I'm afraid that even Mike would have no interest in this box. It is even blander than the projector inside, if that is possible.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2004 07:00 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, try this link.

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-PT_AE700U

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 09, 2004 01:23 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is available in Europe. It's the one I've got. Paul finished to convinced me when we met a few weeks ago.
We watched "The Empire Strikes Back" last weekend and it was jaw-dropping.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2004 08:01 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
I am thinking very seriously of buying a VP and have been looking for a while, a didn't realise how good these were now and would like to have a set up at home along side the cine.

This one looks the best budget model yet, i shall be doing a search to see how far down i can get the price.

It seems a lot of collectors have VP at home along side the cine and this has to be the way to go, and i thought i would never say that!

Thanks for the info paul.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Paul Wilson
Junior

- posted December 10, 2004 09:55 AM      Profile for Paul Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Chaps

I have got a VP and its only when you get one that you realise how good they are and how you have put up with second rate material for so long, its these sad 8mm collectors that think their is nothing to beat 8mm well their is.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2004 10:13 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

You are so right [Big Grin] .
Still in a few years you will be saying the same about those sad DVD collectors [Eek!]
I guess there is room for everything in life and each to his own etc etc.
Just hope you haven't ignited another DVD vs cine debate [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2004 10:57 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the 700 is avaiable in UK.
Myself I have the 500 and that is marvellous which is the model that preceeded the 700. It is hard to understand that it could be betterd but all who have the later model say it is.
For those with limited funds have a look out for the 500 at sale prices.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 10, 2004 11:02 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
If you feel that 8mm collectors are such a sad bunch, why are you wasting your time (and ours) on this forum? I have a VP too, and it is a fantastic piece of equipment, but I do not feel that the aquisition of one gives me superiority in any way over 8mm film collectors. If you really feel that way, then you have no appreciation at all for the special joys of the film collecting hobby.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2004 11:55 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can never quite understand why it is that people think that 8mm collectors think they have the best and there is no room for anything else. Certainly none of the collectors that I know or have met feel that way, many show both DVD and film at home and enjoy the qualities of each medium.

There has been resistance on this forum to opening up to DVD and I am one of those that would argue against it, but this is not due to film snobbery, it's more about the fact that this is one of the few precious refuges of film for those that want to have a film fix.

It would be a shame to see it diluted.

Just my two penneth... [Smile]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tom Mc Kenzie
Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2004 12:18 PM      Profile for Tom Mc Kenzie   Email Tom Mc Kenzie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Video projectors are fine machines for those who want a easy life and have reached a certain age. I have a friend who after having a stroke couldnt handle threading a film or using his Elmo GS 1200 so he sold his collection and bought a Sharp Video Projector from Derann. Now he still has it in his cinema but I go over to his place and show a few films and even he admits you cant beat film.

It is the "Reel" Thing!!

Best

Tom

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2004 12:45 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew it...just knew it...here we go again....another flaming thread.....

Why do we take the bait everytime?????

[Big Grin] [Confused] [Eek!] [Mad] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

--------------------
Tony

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 10, 2004 12:58 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Tony, some people never learn! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2004 01:55 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AE700 is the most stunning home projection device I've seen.Watched Singin'in the Rain a couple of weeks ago at 12ft wide.The definition,colours and brilliance were out of this world.Costs $NZ4500 at our appliance stores.Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Paul Wilson
Junior

- posted December 11, 2004 02:55 AM      Profile for Paul Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul

I have a very extensive 8mm collection and would never give up collecting film, but their are some 8mm collectors who shall remain nameless that feel that video projection does not come any where near to 8mm its these that are a sad bunch, in this day of modern technology we have to accept that their are going to be things better then what their was and no doubt in years to come their is something that is goin
g to be better then video projection.
si I am not wasting my time and others as you say but trying to point out that 8mm is not the best in quality their are others superior.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2004 04:16 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

I totally agree with you! Let's face it you can get bad DVD's as well but the quality of modern equipment is superb by comparison to some 16mm I have seen.

I just get a bit tired of the posts on forums that seem to end up in a "handbag" fight between the forums...my Elmo is better than your Eumig...my 8mm beats your 16mm...my DVD etc etc.

Just don't see the point of them!

I quite enjoy all of the various means we have of watching films but on cost alone collecting s8 or 16 is just nuts. However, I do feel obligated to maintaining Mr O'Reilly's lifestyle!

--------------------
Tony

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 11, 2004 04:43 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's the result that's important, the projected image, no matter which format is used. (For me, anyway.)
Having something really close to an actual theatre experience at home, where film projectors can work side by side with state-of-the-art digital equipment, is what counts. Some people like traditional projectors, some others like films as entertainment pieces, whatever the format, some like both. If we were stuck with old-fashion films, no one would ever dare talking about synching a super 8 feature with 5.1 sound out of a dvd, wouldn't it? It's all matter of keeping an open mind and putting on a great show.
Also, be aware that some of the early dvd's (with average encoding) don't look that good once projected with such a stunning machine like the 700.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 11, 2004 08:21 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
Well I am very glad to hear that you are in fact a super 8mm collector [Wink] . I thought from your initial post that you were just a VP owner who had come on to this forum to slam 8mm. That's what I do not understand, the film collectors who have got great pleasure out of the hobby for decades, who go out and buy a VP, and then suddenly film collecting is a waste of time and film collectors are an eccentric bunch of people living in the dark ages. It makes no sense because film and VP can happily co-exist and compliment each other, and you can get great pleasure from both. Lets all agree that VP in the home gives a better picture than most 8mm or 16mm in the home, but lacks the special technical interest, showmanship, and special sense of occasion that you get with film.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2004 10:56 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PT-AE700 from £1250
PT-AE500 from £1000

On the UK internet.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2004 12:04 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not own a Video Projector, but I do also watch DVD's on a Sony 35" screen TV. Last August my wife gave me a DVD as an Anniversary gift, of the 50th anniversary Collectors DVD of High Noon. The DVD has plenty of wonderful extras, but the quality of this particular printing leaves me flat and cold.

Also worth mentioning, I have seen varying quality of Laser Disc and DVD; with some Lasers looking better on some titles than DVD, and some film that still blow away Laser Disc.

A few months ago, Paul Adsett reviewed his 8mm features opposite the Sony VP. I am curious of a similar test with the Panasonic.

(Paul A., if you do not wish to post this online, you can contact me off line.)

Happy Screening to all, and to all that enjoy all formats.

HO HO HO!

P.S. Brad, we need a smily with a Santa's Cap! [Smile]

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2004 02:10 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul

Glad to hear your enjoying your VP. I know this projector very well and was surprized to see someone on this forum mention they had one.They recently just started shipping. Its very popular at the moment and it incorporates the very latest cutting edge technology that put this projector way ahead of any other LCD projector. This will bring you many years of enjoyment and its affordable.

Many film collectors consider video taboo but when you cant get your favorite title on film video is the next best thing. No reason they cannot coexist side by side.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 11, 2004 11:07 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This fall will showcase two new formats (HD DVD & Blu-ray). I'm looking forward to the increase in quality and the increase in the amount of outdated equipment.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2004 02:43 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are these new systems, do they use the same sze as disc as now or something different?
If the 'CD' size will they play on existing DVD players but at present quaulity, and will our existing DVDs play on them?

The introductuin of new discs or whatever will take many years into the shops and we will probably have worn out our present equipment by then.

--------------------
Regards,
David

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC