8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Could Blu-ray fail? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Could Blu-ray fail?
David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2008 07:40 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Andrew I do know that many old movies are being restored some from very bad orginals etc. The Studio owners are not wanting them to dissappear for ever. I've seen parts of these projected by a digital cinema projector and been amazed at the picture on the screen.
Also saw a couple of months ago a restored first 2 reels of the Russian Cinerama film "Dangerous Curves", ( I think that is a rough translation.) it was like watching a new film this of course 3 strips of 35mm.

--------------------
Regards,
David

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 05, 2008 08:47 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's something that just occurred to me ...

Is there any potential of the companies making recordable blu-ray machines?

If not, could this bring about what happened with Laserdisc?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2008 08:47 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Well David,a very good point you made there,if however the oldies but goodies do come out in BLU-RAY,my guess is they will be at least 720p.I too love Holywood's golden age of movies,they have bags of rpeatabily,what more could a movie fan what.Here's hopin that the greats will/should come out on the higher format.Andy.
p.s.Osi,you can now buy a blu-ray recorder for your p.c.Just like std dvd was.Mains bluray recorders,around 2010 at the very earliest.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2008 01:09 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This idea that old hollywood movies were 'not filmed in high-def' comes up often in this debate but I don't think many realise what 35mm film really is. HD is ONLY 2 megapixel like even the cheapest phone cameras. I'm sure someone on this board would have better figures but surely 35mm is at least equivalent to 6-8 megapixels depending on film stock, etc. I've been told by one source that 70mm film is equal to 25 mp per frame. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please but films from the 1930s are way better picture quality than HD Video.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Michael Scalise
Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2008 07:58 PM      Profile for Michael Scalise   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Scalise   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beg to differ with the individual who said you could not hear the difference in a DVD Audio disc vs a stereo CD. It is a 5.1 surround signal...have you really listened to one? For example...the disc for the Beatles "LOVE" show in Veags is AMAZING!! Hearing the Fab Four in surround sound when we are so used to mono or stereo recording of the beatles just blew me away. Granted not all recordings work in this format...but for the Beatles who pushed recording technology...in the Sgt Pepper years...a song like Elenor Rigby just fills the room from all angles and the separation on a song like that...it's nothing you have ever heard before.
Yes...chances are it has to be listened to in your living room where most would have the home theater set up. Not really meant to enjoy in the car...competing with all the road noises. It is more of a sit and listen experience.

Nothing to do with Blu Ray...but I just had to respond to the audio comments...

ANyway...that's my two cents on that!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 05, 2008 10:27 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Dolby Digital 5:1 mix adds so much to the movie experience and its the first thing I look for when buying a DVD, a few years ago I upgraded from a Pro-logic amp to a Yamaha Dolby Digital-EX/DTS-ES amp, most DVDs are now 5:1 and a good quality sound system is a must, my understanding with Blu-ray is that the sound is even better quality than your standard DVD which in itself is very good, my only concern with Blu-ray and its something that Jonathan has mentioned in this topic and that is of region codes, out here DVD players are Zone 4 although when you buy one the store will convert them to multi-zone at no cost to the customer, however with Blu-ray that might not be possible. The US is the place to go for many classic films on DVD that have never made it here so a multi-zone NTSC/PAL Blu-ray player is almost a must.

Graham.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC