8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The 100 Year Disc (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The 100 Year Disc
Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2008 03:47 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,
I stand corrected! Actually, although I was in the TV business for the best part of 45 years, I must confess that I never, by choice, got involved in LaserDisc. At the time, there was LaserDisc, CED, and Thorn's system (I can't remember the acronym), all intended as competitors for pre-recorded Beta and VHS, which were horrendously expensive then. CED was the cheapest consumer option, both from machine and disc point of view (and the technology suited me better) so I went that way. In the end all three went the way of all flesh as pre-recorded tape prices dropped rapidly in retaliation.
I still have a number of working players, both stereo and mono, and a collection of over 200 Pal discs, many of them never played.

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 07, 2008 06:15 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Martin, Thorn/JVC bought out the VHD system. Laserdisc from Philips/MCA ruled the Laserdisc market and I think the last discs were pressed in Pioneer's Japan Factory as late as 2002.

Kev.

[ September 07, 2008, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 07, 2008 12:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Have the happy position of being right for a change, but first, I'd best be sure of the facts ...

Kevin, were you referring to CED's when you said the last were made around 1992 (in your last post), for I know that Laserdisc
(the laserdiscs I know and love) stopped being made around either 2002, or 2003, in Japan, as earlier stated. One of the last releases is the hard to come by Japanese re-release of "Slipstream" (Mark Hamill, 1989), and for the first time, (as of that time) in widescreen. Love to have that one.

Kevin, I'll get back to you on the list of Laserdiscs, my wife is now overdue to give birth and I can barely get the chance to post on the forum, let alone anything else.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 07, 2008 05:49 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, you were right I meant to say 2002 for Laserdisc. Have now corrected my post above.

BTW hope all goes ok with the birth of your baby. Let us know if it's a boy or girl. Best wishes to both you and your wife from the forum [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 07, 2008 06:30 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, don't forget to order up a Pathe Baby for that baby. [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2008 09:55 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, ELMO if it's a boy and EUMIGA if it's a girl!

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 08, 2008 03:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hah! Good one Steven, and thanks for the well wishes. We have one more appointment on this coming Monday, as if she hasn't popped by then , they will make an appointment to induce her.

Then, whether the Baby wants out or not, it's a-comin out!

Another generation that I hope will enjoy the vast treasure of Super 8 which will be one of many things to pass on to the boy/girl (we chose not to know the sex!)

Which reminds me of that great little joke from "Monty Python and the Meaning of Life"

mother : Is it a Boy or Girl?
Doctor : Lest not start putting roles on it right away!

By the way, (actually referring back to the topic of this series of posts), how can they possibly insure that the disc will exist for 100 years?

You always have to look at the "fine print". Sure, the disc may still actually exist in a hundred years, (not that we'll be there for it!), but not a word as to whether it'll be playable, eh?

Bet many of my Laserdiscs will be just fine, (okay, that may be a false boast).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2008 05:25 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to Paul A.

I know those older 8mm machines are unstoppable tanks, I have a Revere Model 8 with 300ft take up, I am oddly enough only the second owner of the machine (bought pre-ebay era) and the only thing that wiill kill that projector is the fact that those 500w bulbs are hard to come by. Its our elmo ST's and Eumig 700/800's Im more worried about! [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 12, 2008 04:44 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add regarding projector belts, you can buy from Derann "extruded polyurethane belting" in 3mm,4mm and 5mm diameter, you simply cut it to length and "hot join" Derann will supply a how to do it sheet and you buy the material in metre lenghts. I am using some of it tommorow "3mm dia" to make a new drive belt for a ST180 so if you get stuck belt wise contact them and they might be able to help.

Regarding the life of movie projectors I dont really see this as a problem there is always something you can do to keep them running I have never come across a projector that cant be fixed as they say "where there is will there is a way" [Smile]

Changing the subject [Roll Eyes]

PS. Movie Maker Sept 1981 has an excellent article by Francis Williams called Bell and Howell through the Ages well worth a read if you can get a copy.

Graham.

[ September 12, 2008, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC