8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » My Blu-Ray Experience (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: My Blu-Ray Experience
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2009 09:26 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely Paul, you only need to worry about upgrades if you encounter a problem.

Actually, in my experience, most issues with firmware tend to arise when using HDMI; it's like one computer talking to another so invariably you can end up with problems!!! [Wink]

On the subject of Dirty Dancing, a quick look around the internet confirms my fears...a transfer plagued with poor quality issues. Blu-ray could really do without this kind of sloppiness or, as you say Paul, it will never be attractive to a mass market.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 01, 2009 06:50 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really looking forward to the release of The Wizard of Oz on the 29th of this month. I have a feeling the quality will blow everyone away.
Nevertheless, I still have very mixed feelings about getting into Blu-ray. After 3 months I have only purchased 4 Blu-ray films, whereas my DVD purchases are about 3 times that amount. And my renting ratio is about 10 dvd's for every Blu-ray.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2009 06:21 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Can we please have a review of Wizard as soon as you have viewed; here in the UK we have to wait until November 2nd. [Frown] I am so excited about this release I may have to change my underwear. [Frown] [Wink]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 20, 2009 10:21 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris,
I am hoping to get my copy of Oz next week, so I will be glad to post a report. As usual with this kind of legendary film they are offering different versions available with all kinds of elaborate options such as books, lobby cards, red slippers, figurines, etc - you name it, but none come with fresh underwear [Big Grin] .
They have really gone to town on this one and I am anticipating that the BD transfer has been done with meticulous love and care and the BD of the film itself will be stunning, particularly as it originated on 3-strip Technicolor.
And lets not forget that the BD of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will be on sale here on October 2 - another eagerly anticipated release also loaded up with extras. 'Best Buy' here in the USA are already giving out free Snow White embossed metal BD boxes if you place an advance order.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2009 06:51 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great! Thanks Paul, I look forward to reading your report. Snow White is already on my list of must haves.

I have though annoyingly, had to order Miss Potter in blu-ray from Australia as the UK has not even got a release date for this, if they ever do. [Frown] I love the film and adore Renee Zellweger. [Smile] [Smile] The film is a must for Blu-ray, but yet again. [Frown]

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2009 12:16 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miss Potter - lovely, underrated, genteel little film. Enjoy.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 22, 2012 05:16 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happend to the last three years [Eek!] [Smile] even though I have watched "Baraka" on our HD tv, tonight was the first time this Blu-ray title has been played through our Panasonic PT-AX200E video projector. Although I cant get the benefit of full 1080 from this projector, the image is still indeed very impressive. I also like that 2.21.1 ratio, it really fills the screen.

If anyone has a full HD projector then "Baraka" is a must have blu-ray, its simply stunning.

Graham

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2012 06:23 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham - "Baraka" on blu-ray is a great looking film. I've also just picked up "Lawrence of Arabia" on blu-ray from Amazon.co.uk and that is simply stunning.It's the best i've ever seen it. Highly recommended.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 22, 2012 11:49 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a huge fan of the film but I did purchase a blu ray of Cameron's epic Titanic when it was released last week. I am glad I did, as the picture quality is just incredible, revealing every little detail of the costumes down to the individual threads, the interior of the ship showing the grain in the wood of the grand staircase, and the expansive exterior deck areas of the ship. The whole thing is a sumptuous visual feast, every shot showing what blu ray can really do when care is taken. Ignore the silly romantic plot, just sit back and marvel at the picture you are seeing and the sound you are hearing.
Incidentally I read that the 3D version of the blu ray is awesome, so I plunked down an extra $7.00 for the 3D edition, just in case I get a 3D projector downstream.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2012 03:36 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul. I picked up Titanic.I really don't care for 3D, so I bought the 2D version. Criterion's release of "A Night To Forget" is wonderful too.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 22, 2012 03:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jonathan

I will look out for Lawrence of Arabia.

Graham [Smile]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 22, 2012 05:15 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
With all this talk of super duper picture quality etc from blu ray.
makes me wonder why so many deserted film for video back in
the day, and still take the snap shottery on mobile phones.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2012 09:26 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VHS/Betamax were more user friendly for mainstream users to access. I don't think many thought the quality was superior to film. Also, you could buy a whole, unabridged feature film on VHS for 30 pounds.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 23, 2012 03:18 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I beg to differ Jonathan,I paid £48.00 for a tape of "Dance of the
Vampires" on VHS, and blank cassettes were not much cheaper
when they were available.It just strikes me as odd, that in a
separate thread we're discussing the loss of TWO major film
providers going to the wall and the shedding of crocodile tears,
while extolling the virtues of a plastic disc that has helped no end
in putting the final nails in films coffin,in both the professional
and amateur world, I just find it very strange.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2012 06:41 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I recall Hugh is that I bought "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" for 29 pounds on VHS in 1981. The two Walton extracts would have cost more than that and only totalled a third of the movie.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 23, 2012 07:54 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That's as maybe, but the extracts you mention are still being
sought after by collectors while the videos are a well and truly
dead and buried,as will blu ray in years to come when superceded
by the next "craze".Remember the cartload of equipment that
was video making, the huge cameras and power packs that cost
a fortune and the quality that was dire, but the marketing men
still managed to convert a helluva lot of people from the 8mm
scene, it was like a new religion, and now it's blu ray's turn.I
just find it strange that dvds are compared to something that
has more than stood up to the test of time,like comparing a
genuine piece of antique furniture to something from a flatpack.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 23, 2012 02:10 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When VHS pre-recorded tapes came out they were expensive and the quality was poor, but for the masses owning a video player and watching them on a tv in those days with a max size of around 26inch was something. Super8 400ft was around $80, Universal 2-400footer $135, Marketing 3-400 $245 NZ dollars so even that was expensive. However you could own a film and project it just like at the movies in your home on a much larger screen than TV.

At the moment home entertainment has never been so good. Its cheaper than ever, with large TV screens, dolby digtal sound and with blu-ray picture quality thats either on a HDTV or projected on a video projector its really good. The thing is also cost, blu-ray titles are cheaper and much better than VHS ever was.

So where does that leave film, well for me I still enjoy projecting film and the natural image quality that it gives.
The sad part about loosing Kodak or Fuji, is film is still the only way to preserve a natural looking image for the long term, thats why I still take 35mm slides. [Smile] The Digital camera has its use also, eg this forum or internet use, but digital as we know is not suitable for long term storage...thats down to film. [Smile]

The thing is, enjoy what is on offer "today" with both digital and film [Cool] and not worry to much about tomorrow, we cant change it. The one thing we are all short of is "time" believe me, it passes us by, way to quick. [Frown]

Graham.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 23, 2012 02:19 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It just strikes me as odd, that in a
separate thread we're discussing the loss of TWO major film
providers going to the wall and the shedding of crocodile tears,
while extolling the virtues of a plastic disc that has helped no end
in putting the final nails in films coffin,in both the professional
and amateur world, I just find it very strange.

Well, speaking as a lover of movies from the 1925-35 period, there are 100's of titles I'm never ever going to be able to buy on film. For this era those plastic discs are a gift.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 23, 2012 06:34 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael has made the most important point here. Namely that DVD and Blu Ray have made available thousands of film titles that would never have seen the light of day on 8mm or 16mm film. I have had a digital projector for 7 years now, and during that time I have been able to see, and buy, hundreds of great films, which are available for a few dollars on disc.
This thread is not knocking film. After all this is the 8mm forum, so anyone reading or posting here is doing so because they love film. So we all really lament the loss of Kodak and Fuji film, and treasure the printed films and projection equipment that we posess, but that does not preclude an honest appraisal of the extraordinary image quality now obtainable with home digital technology.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 23, 2012 06:55 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That is very true Michael and the same was true of the video cassette tape, but remember the harm it did to the hobby as
many people didn't operate both film and video, so sold all their
films and ancillary equipment to embrace the new technology
thus sales of cine film and package movies were lost to the cine
suppliers until we're at the present stage with a minority following
and very few releases and no processing labs in the UK.I know
you can't stop progress, but the damage was done by video back in the '80s, even Sony tried to destroy S/8 once and for
all with it's launch of 8mm video.As for the better quality that
blu ray offers,well joe public hasn't exactly been over enthusiastic, there are quite a few like me who are happy with
the std DVD and the greater choice of titles, plus they're also
cheaper.I do the same as yourself Michael, and view otherwise
unavailable movies on DVD,tending to favour the European film
but given the choice, I much prefer the whirr of a projector
to any of the other methods of viewing.As a case in point,I just
bought off ebay a 16mm feature "The Master Touch" in 'scope
Agfa colour for $99.00 plus $78.00 postage and £30.00 this
end import duty, for a film I could have gotten from Amazon for
£10.00 on DVD, but it wouldn't have been the same.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 24, 2012 03:01 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh,

I agree. Given the choice and given unlimited financial resources I would own as many 16mm original prints as I could of whatever titles are available of my favourite films. But, that ain't gonna happen.

As I've said before, from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, the digital image is sharp, colourful, but ultimately, for me anyway, lifeless. Film looks better to me. The films I'm most interested in were designed, lighted (or maybe lit!) and shot with film in mind, therefore the medium is important. It's the difference between an original painting and a reproduction print of that painting.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2012 02:47 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love film, but I can no longer agree that the digital image still has that "lifeless video look." IMO on the right projector (I have a JVC 1080P DLP). This is also a matter of some serious restoration on the part of studios. For instance it's really not fair to compare something like a blu-ray of Warner Brothers WIZARD OF OZ restored from the original Technicolor camera separations and a Derann Super 8, or the recent restoration of the hand-colored TRIP TO THE MOON Blu-ray from Flicker Alley to a 16mm Blackhawk print from 1970.

Most mediums hit the peak of their brilliance just before they go under. I consider some of the Derann prints I bought in the last decade, light years ahead of the MGM features I was buying in the early 80's. The last print I bought from Derann was VAMPIRE CIRCUS and LONESOME GHOSTS, both of which could pass for 16mm if you looked only at the screen and not the projector.

All I can say now is that times are tough, but I'm still able to afford the UK import of the Blu-ray UNIVERSAL MONSTERS BOX, which by all accounts offers a stunning revelation for every film therein, and for roughly $8 a feature. I'm looking forward to this with the same anticipation I had for the arrival of my first two Castle digests, ordered out of the back of Famous Monsters.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC