8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » My new toys....vintage items (TV, Radio, etc) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My new toys....vintage items (TV, Radio, etc)
Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2009 12:40 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Winbert!
Nice to see you have a liking for Marklin trains, I myself are a fan of them as well.
I have just brought a new Marklin HO scale shunting loco.
[Big Grin]
Patrick

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

|  IP: Logged

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2009 12:47 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to change the needle every one or two plays Winbert.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 25, 2009 10:44 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have just brought a new Marklin HO scale shunting loco
Patrick, my curiosity.... after Marklin got bankrupt this year, is your new Marklin still made in Germany or "made in China"? (as Bachmann and many other trains now)

quote:
Don't forget to change the needle every one or two plays
Damien, I just also learned that needle is so quick to wear in this 78RPM.

Nevertheless, my gramapahone is only for aesthetic purposes.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 13, 2011 12:10 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my recent acquisition:

Brand: Lowe Opta Stereo
Made in Germany
Year: 1950s
Condition: Working
Finishing: Brown
Cosmetic condition: Clean, minimal scratch, body shiny
Price bought: CAD $0 (2010) ...free from a freecyclist.

-

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Dave Schmidt
Junior

- posted January 17, 2011 09:29 PM      Profile for Dave Schmidt   Email Dave Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful!! How many folks ask you what BC stands for?? If you ever want to double your money on the fan you posted,,,just say the word!!

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2011 09:39 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

quote:
after Marklin got bankrupt this year, is your new Marklin still made in Germany or "made in China"?
Only a small percentage of Märklin-products was ever made in China - and they've stopped dealing with that Chinese factory due to various reasons. As Märklin has closed its factories in Sonneberg and Nürnberg (both Germany), all current (2010/2011) Märklin-products should be either made in Göppingen (Germany) or Györ (Hungary), with the large majority of products being made in Györ.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 18, 2011 11:22 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

I love the pics. Keep up the hunting. I'm having fum just reading and looking at your posts! As we say in USA....you are the BOMB!!!!!!!

Pat DAlessio

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 18, 2011 11:44 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,
Does that old radio dial have Athlone on there? How about Hilversum??
[Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 16, 2011 08:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does that old radio dial have Athlone on there? How about Hilversum??
Hi Mike, sorry I just can answer this now.

No, the above radio doesn't have those stations.

But I just acquired this:

-

-

Brand: Korting "Konzert 430W" radio
Made in West Germany
Year: 1954/1955
Condition: Untested (plug missing)
Finishing: brown Mahogany
Cosmetic condition: Clean, minimal scratch, body shiny, minimum chips
Price bought: CAD $0 (2011) @ freecycler

And Mike, this radio has Hilversum I and Hilversum II.

The funny thing when I brought this radio in, my kids say "is that a piano" after seeing those "piano keys" [Big Grin]

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 16, 2011 10:11 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Winbert

Great price!

PatD

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 18, 2011 12:11 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah,...surely Pat.

I am just waiting now someone is going to freecycle a GS1200.. [Wink]

There is nothing impossible in this world

ps: I am also doing with power wheel (a motorized ride-on for kids). Just a week a go someone throw away a machine that was worth $1000 (brand new) or $500 (second hand). He put photos on craiglist stating "A free Super Power Perego. Please come to the curb and take it". Man....!

Our power wheel forum members could only have their mouth watering because of this ad. Unfortunately it was 2000 miles of my town [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 18, 2011 01:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats the strange fascination with the passage of time ...

These old items were once the "present", now thier almost antique.

Hey, I have on of those old fans, runs just fine, though we don't tend to use it anymore as little Devin wants to stick his finger in the wind ..

... and I don't want to go searching for a lost finger!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 18, 2011 03:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sad thing is when you look at a lot of this old stuff it is built for durability like only the most expensive (professional) equipment is today.

About a year ago we got a brand new blue ray player, also about a year ago I picked up an Elmo ST-1200 HD that was assembled when I was a teenager (that's getting to be a long time ago, folks!)

Which do you think will be the last machine standing?

(I wouldn't bet on the Blu-Ray player)

The point is If Winbert is still antiquing in the 2040's, he will be pretty hard-pressed to find a lot from "The Teens". It's usually built to be bought, used a little while, fail, and then be disposed of (not fixed)for replacement by something just as disposable.

I work in electronics, and I know what the serious stuff is supposed to look like. When I pop open modern consumer electronics (You know: just before I throw it out), it looks exactly like my kid's toys!

PS Winbert: the neighbors across the street gave their kid this neat little red battery powered Jeep. My son watched it longingly for about a year. One fine day he came home pushing it up the driveway. He said "It's dead, they said I can have it. Daddy, can you fix it for me?". So I poked around and found out all that was wrong was the battery wouldn't take a charge. It seems if you store a lead-acid battery dead, it will stay that way. One new battery and we are motoring.

A couple of weeks ago the same kid buzzes down the street in a little electric go-cart. My son looked at it, turned to me and said "Where will we get a battery for that?"

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 19, 2011 10:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats very true (about how things were built to last) ...

I have a "Realistic" brand Dolby Surround unit that I must have bought around 1987 or so, (It was the late 80's), it looks like crap, dented up and all ...

no bells or whistles ...

but it still works magnificently and is perfect for rechanelling my super 8 mono films into a "false stereo' mix which I enjoy immensely!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 19, 2011 11:15 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the durability is a marketing choice too. People know how to design things to last and they could if they wanted too.

Cars for example are designed to last much longer today than years ago, but that is a market that thrives on customer loyalty and a car that shoves a piston through the hood after two years aint good for repeat business.

Consumer electronics is standing in a store looking at a bunch of nearly equivalent brands saying "Look! this one does just as much as that one, but it's cheaper!"

-Beware the difference between "price" and "value"!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2011 06:06 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, that's a great collection. I especially like the Lowe Opta Stereo. My wife and I collect Mid Century Modern stuff. We redecorated our Mid Century house with furniture and art that we found at estate sales, Craigs List, Ebay, etc.

I have two RCA Victor console stereos that we listen to records on all the time. We enjoy going to garage sales and estate sales to find $1 records. I couldn't tell you how many records we have. We often grab old records because we like the look of the cover and often discover some great music that is new to us.

All our furniture is mid century, made of real wood, not Beaver barf (particle board). A lot of the furniture and art also came from our parents and grandparents. It's nice having things like that in the house that we remember from our childhood.

I can't do the old TV's though, I like my HD too much. Here is a picture of my living room with the RCA Victor stereo console and our mid century modern furniture.

-

[ May 23, 2011, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Bryan Chernick ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC