8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Kodak Challenge (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Kodak Challenge
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 23, 2018 08:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Graham,

The other day I realized (over a year late) I had an iconic Kodak product: you don't even need to be a film collector to have memories of the Pageant. It's a classic.

This topic is one of my favorites among the oldies.

-So why not?

(Maybe it can have another run!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 23, 2018 11:15 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak Presstapes and Splicers have edited miles of film.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 24, 2018 03:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is somewhat of a repeat of my posting on 5 August 2014.

I had always admired the 16mm Kodak Pageant, often on American eBay, but, of course, living in the UK they would have not been suitable because of their voltage and frequency. I had wondered if they had ever been available in Europe.

But in August 2014 there was one on German eBay, it was 200-240 volts and 50Hz. So I bought it.

It's from 1972 and is optical/magnetic/record and is model AV-12ML-L. It has a transistorised amplifier and an auto 2/3 blade shutter (dependent on sound or silent speed). The lamp used is a mains voltage pre-focus base and was supplied with the A1/9 750 watt, but it can also take the A1/59 1000 watt lamp.

After a some lubrication and minor repairs by my engineer it's running well and it is a great projector which I love.

--------------------
Maurice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 24, 2018 11:49 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Kodak Camera came bundled with a projector I bought a few years back. I know nothing about it or even if it still works.

-

The Kodak Pageant is a great classic 16mm sound projector. However for it's slow motion capability the silent Analyst got a lot of use especially in sports. It will only take up to a 400ft reel..but it does have a convenient viewing screen built into the front cover.

-

--------------------
Janice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 24, 2018 12:48 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Pageant is a reminder that Kodak used to make some really excellent cine equipment - before the advent of all their plastic super 8 junk of the 1970's.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 24, 2018 01:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and this thing is downright industrial: everything except parts like the rollers tend to be metal.

Plus there is perspective happening here: I've been doing Super-8 39 years now. -it's kind of the standard I live by. Now I've shifted gears at least part time to 16mm and it feels BIG!

-something like what it must feel like to park a car and sit behind the wheel of a truck!

In a way, the correct way to operate a Pageant is on top of a big, steel projector cart: this is their natural habitat and I never saw anybody use the handle on one until I was in my 50s. It was their normal migration pattern to be seen rolling down the hallway at school with a teacher close behind: -a stream of teenagers washing around them both.

(I could easily find the cart, but that's a lot to ask from my wife! I might not be very happy with quid pro quo either! "...When did we get a hot tub?!!")

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 24, 2018 01:59 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Janice the projector looks like its in excellent condition [Cool]

I put this up on you-tube enjoy before they pull the plug [Smile]

https://youtu.be/Uv6xE824Fgg

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 24, 2018 03:50 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool Graham [Cool] I love that song.

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC