8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Moonrise Kingdom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moonrise Kingdom
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 30, 2012 10:57 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wes Anderson has a new movie coming out in May called Moonrise Kingdom. I read where it was shot using Super 16mm film. It stars Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, and Bill Murray. Here is the trailer...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturevideo/filmvideo/cinema-trailers/9012693/Moonrise-Kingdom-trailer.html

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 01, 2012 09:30 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Janice

It was shot not to far from me. I tried for a background part in it but couldn't make the shooting day! I was going to be a businessman catching a plane at the airport.Bummer.

Pat

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 01, 2012 01:35 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Pat....that's showbiz. It looks like a fun movie and I'm a big Bruce Willis fan! [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

--------------------
Janice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 02, 2012 12:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer looks great. Bill Murray has been in a number of Wes Anderson's films as well!

Super 16, apparantly, is a great film stock for shooting!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2012 06:06 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, you're right:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748122/technical

I saw the trailer at the theater and had no clue it was super 16mm.
BTW, super 16mm is only 16mm with image in the area where the other sprocket area would be if it were regular 16mm. If that makes sense.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 02, 2012 07:19 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and the sound is recorded separately and synced in post. Which is pretty typical anyway.

--------------------
Janice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 03, 2012 01:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, with super 16, does that mean you are basically getting a letterboxed image, right off of the shot negative, (as it stretches into that area?) Well, youd, certainly have more iamge information, without having to letterbox it, thereby dealing with less grain from the blow-up of the image to letterbox it.

It appears to be very fine grain. I wonder if this can also be due to clean-up of the iamge before the final transfer of the film to digital or film prints being made?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 08, 2012 09:52 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a nice article about how Moonrise Kingdom was edited:

http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/tags/video-editing/moonrise-kingdom-and-media-composer-andrew-weisblum%E2%80%99s-editing-adventures/59371

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 25, 2012 08:39 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another good article on "Moonrise Kingdom".

http://www.studiodaily.com/2012/05/cinematographer-robert-yeoman-talks-super-16-style-on-moonrise-kingdom/

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 26, 2012 04:03 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw Moonrise Kingdom today. I really enjoyed it.

--------------------
Janice

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 26, 2012 08:23 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it. The cast is terrific, especially Kara Hayward and Jared Gilman as the young lovers. Nice looking film...glad I caught an actual celluloid showing.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2012 03:51 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Bill Murray,

Years ago I was hired by an entertainment agency in San Diego for a gig on the 4th of July at the Pauma Valley Country Club in Pauma Valley, CA. I did not know what to expect but to my surprise Bill Murray was there with his kids. He has a home there that surrounds the country club. He's an avid golfer. He wore very loud bright colorful shorts with black knee high socks with tennis shoes & wore a pair of these jumbo clown sunglasses and had not shaved for weeks. He ran around the place like a chicken and he's one weird dude! [Cool]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC