8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » PayPal Why do I need to verify my account

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PayPal Why do I need to verify my account
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 05:03 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got this email from Paypal, although it looks official scam springs to mind.

Why do I need to verify my account?
When you join PayPal, we ask for only basic details so you can start using your account straight away. However, we're legally required to confirm certain information about customers who send payments over a certain amount. Once you link and confirm a bank account or get approved for PayPal credit, your account will be verified and you'll be able to make as many payments as you like with PayPal.

As anyone else had to do this?

Think I may just close this account and open another one, I don't like too much of my personal information floating about.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 05:09 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an email like this and I just made a new account which still runs fine to this day.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 05:28 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had several of these, it is a scam to get your account details. Ignore it, your account won't be closed.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 05:32 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, ignore these paypal emails. I get them regularly.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 07:38 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did eventually hit a "sending" limit, so I closed my account and started a new one. So far so good.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 08:24 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll just recycle it now.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 04, 2013 09:36 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is genuine. Have you only recently opened a PayPal account? Not long after I opened my account many years ago I only had my Credit Card logged for payments. Later I was asked to verify and register a current bank account, the credit card data now being relegated to "back up".

Here's some info :-

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/security/verification-faq

--------------------
Maurice

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 09:45 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have to click on a link within the message IT'S A FAKE!!!

You can take this to the bank!

If in doubt, call PayPal (888-221-1161 in the USA).

Jon

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 09:56 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that Paypal have limits when you first open an account, but we have had several of these this year after having a Paypal account for 6 years.

We get similar ones from Banks that we don't have an account with, asking us to reset our password and confirm account number.

I would ignore this; you can ring Paypal if you like, but don't respond in writing to the email, otherwise you might regret it.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 04, 2013 10:17 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right, Robert, do not click on any email sent to you.

If you still have doubts David, contact PayPal direct. Their site will offer "Call Us". By clicking this you will be provided with a telephone number.

I repeat. DO NOT CLICK on any email sent to you.

--------------------
Maurice

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2013 12:02 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sussed it now. It looks like they put a limit on how much you can use your account for buying £1900 They say £0.00 left. That's what made my suspicious. Its their misleading e-mail. I can still use with no problem, and no need to verify because I don't think I'll reach the limit. Plus it gets re-set every year.

So it is genuine.

Don't worry about me clicking on e-mails. I get that many from banks I have never heard of, hell I even get them from HM Gov telling me I'm due a tax rebate!!!

In my e-mail program if you hover the mouse over the link that says ie www.halifax.co.uk/login it usually says something totally different along the line www.wewillclearyouraccount.ru/youidiot

Had only two fraud with my credit cards. 1st was for some Laserdisc 2 transactions £80 each, I called the company Cambridge Laser I think because although I had bought from them in the past this was not something I had bought. They were most apoplectic would refund. But I also contacted my bank would cancelled my card new one issued, a few days later contacted y police. It turned out they had done it loads of times in about a week. Got refund.

Other card cloned in petrol station, lucky with this one was online statments its only that they sent a statement at the end of the year that I noticed I had 'bought a laptop from HP' again new card. The amazing thing the card never left my sight.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 04, 2013 12:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
However, be VERY careful with any noticed from any financial website that ends up in your account whether in the junk file or otherwise ...

This is because ...

1. Often, they are in fact scammers. They'll use the same fonts, design elements and have you completely buffalo's

2. More importantly, some scammers will "piggy back" on links so that, while you are actually getting to the actual genuine site, from what I understand, they are able to track your movements on the site, so as you are typing in your addresses and more importantly, your passwords, they can get ahold of them.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2013 06:11 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ebay and paypal never ever asks for your details as they already have this is a scam and if you have give details I am sorry to say your bank account will be drained

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2013 06:33 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No never clicked on it, checked on paypal itself and your history screen or what ever looks like the one in the link above.

Some of the e-mails you get are quite good they do look real.

In the UK you can just walk into Barclays or Santander and do the scamming direct.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2013 07:51 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never replied to any emails. However, one day when I wanted to make a purchase, ebay blocked the sale and requested to be verified.

I called and both ebay and Paypal and they confirmed that I needed verification. The alternate means of Payment was to purchase a Paypal gift card or Green dot gift card. So I purchased the green dot card, and it still required sensitive information. Green dot refunded my money and I asked the seller if I could pay using a postal money order. ( I live in the U.S.) Since then I have been making purchases by money order.

It's good to know that establishing a new account will circumnavigate this issue.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2013 08:23 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at my account page the amount is due to be reset in December, so unless I go mad and spend spend and spend, I should be OK with this account.

See my other post re telephone scam windows.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC