8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Agfa S1 dating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Agfa S1 dating
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2013 02:07 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know when Agfa Gaevart S1 stock was manufactured. I have seen this listed among colour stock, but my film is monochrome.

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 07, 2013 02:55 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a second there, seeing the title, I thought this was a new business venture of yours, Robert.
[Smile] [Wink]

But seriously, folks....the S1 (it's actually 1S and 2S) is, for all intents and purposes, meaningless. It's a slitter code, seen on both B&W and Colour stock, in my experience.

[ November 07, 2013, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Michael O'Regan ]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 08, 2013 02:49 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that date codes were ever on Agfa Geveart positive film, and as Michael says, the S1 and S2 are codes which refer to splitting from the original printing stock.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 04:29 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MIchael, the reason I asked is because I saw a film advertised (I think it was on an American site) and the seller said it was Agfa 2S, which, according to the seller dated it to the 1970s ; I have a TV show from the 50s which is Agfa 1S, so I wondered if it was made in the 50s or later.

Regarding the dating on Kodak prints, as they used the same symbols every ten years, how could you tell if your 1935 film release was printed in 1939,49,59,or 69.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 08, 2013 05:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two figure Eastman date codes changed every twenty years. It is something you just have to work out for yourself depending on the look and condition of the print.

Eastman obviously were worried and they adopted a three figure code in 1982.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 05:45 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Maurice.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 08, 2013 10:29 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, before 1964, Agfa and Gevaert were two different companies (one German and the other Belgian).

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 08, 2013 12:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't "Ansco-Chrome" the original name for Agfa film stock before it was Agfa? I have some lovely Disney standard 8mm cartoons that were printed on Ansco-Chrome, and they are as lovely as the day that they were printed!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 08, 2013 01:03 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I think it was the American commercial name of Agfacolor.

--------------------
Dominique

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 08, 2013 01:03 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anscochrome was in fact a stock marketed by Agfa after they had merged with Ansco. I don't think it preceded Agfa stock, as such. I'm pretty sure that Agfacolor stock existed at the same time as Anscochrome, though I'll stand corrected on that if anyone knows differently.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 01:53 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Dominique, actually my film says Geveart on the side, so were they originally separate companies?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 08, 2013 02:19 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Robert, Gevaert was a Belgian company and Agfa a German company. Agfa-Gevaert's headquarter is still located in Belgium.

--------------------
Dominique

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2013 03:43 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dominique. My 50s TV show print is probably from the 50s.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC