8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Collector or Hoarder....?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Collector or Hoarder....?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 12, 2014 09:04 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started my super 8mm hobby in around 1983 during my junior high school years when I was given my father's projector because my family was entering the video era. Starting from that I bought films and film related items, that included projectors.

I never counted how many projectors I had bought, but at the same time I never re-sold them until I realized that I had now a family with 2 kids. So when I was assigned to Canada in 2009, I brought (I thought) all my projectors seen in front of me.

I was thinking that selling them from Canada would much easier than sending from Indonesia.

So during my terms in Canada from 2009 - 2013, I sold or gave away:

1 * Sankyo 501 (my father's projector)
5 * Elmo ST-800
2 * Elmo ST-1200HD
2 * Sankyo 800 Stereo
2 * Sankyo 700
1 * Sankyo 500
1 * Elmo ST-600
1 * Eumig 810 D Lux

However due to my habit, I still could not resist when finding a good deal, especially projectors in original packing or locating high-end projectors in good price. [Razz] [Eek!]

Moreover I was thinking that since I had sold all my projectors from Indonesia, so I still bought 2 * GS-1200, 3 * GS-800 and 2 * ST-1200. They were high-end projectors and thinking I would need them when I was returning to Indonesia anyway.

So yesterday was my final day to re-set up my home theatre after it was abandoned during my terms in Canada. You can find my messy theatre in this post: Unfinished Project

In the morning I went to my storage for taking this or taking that, opened the door and voila.... I found projectors. [Razz]

Then bringing some boxes to my home, and opened them..... another projectors came up [Confused]

And today, I was in my parents' house visiting them. I went to my old rooms, guess what I found....? 2 * ST-1200 (in their hard cases and one ST-800. One projector was even with lens 1.1 !) [Big Grin]

So now beside the projectors I brought from Canada, I still had to deal with:

2 * Eumig (610D and 807D)
1 * GS-1200 (apparently I have had one beside 2 I bought in Canada)
3 * Elmo ST-1200 (to add up with another 2 from Canada)
4 * ST-800 (geez... i still have this middle level projector, I thought I had sold them all)
2 * Sankyo 800 Stereo (one in OB)
1 * Elmo Hi Vision SC-18
1 * Minolta 7100 (I have modified this to be dedicated for re-winder only, to save belts on my other projector)
1 * Chinon 330MV (for outdoor showing where kids are allowed to play with it)

Total I still have 22 projectors in my hands now.

Am I a collector or hoarder....?? [Mad] [Big Grin]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 13, 2014 03:33 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many projectors have you got in total?
Do you use them regularly, or are they just stored away?
If the former, you are a collector, if the latter, you are a hoarder.
My many 16mm and Super 8 projectors get used on a rota basis which means that each gets an outing at least once a year.

--------------------
Maurice

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 13, 2014 03:55 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert. People worry far 2 much how much kit they have… You could argue its handy to have more tackle in case of break down or needing spares in the future, but at the end of the day just enjoy your hobby..

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2014 05:07 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the truth were told I think there is a little bit of hoarder in all of us involved in this hobby. It's because we worry that if we get rid of something we'll wish we hadn't. I know that's what happens with me.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2014 06:32 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And with projectors, there are going to be no more made and parts will be harder and harder to get, so "hoarding" projectors may be a wise policy for film "collectors".

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 13, 2014 08:56 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Collecting. no such thing as hoarding in film collecting hobby. [Wink]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 13, 2014 02:38 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't consider myself a hoarder....yet [Smile] but I currently have 40 projectors. About 9 of them are not in running condition...but the rest are doing very well. I try to run each one about every month or so. I do plan on selling a few this year...but like Winbert...I have a hard time passing up a good deal on a working projector. Last year I was a projector magnetic. I had friends giving me projectors. All in all ... it's a lot of fun [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2014 04:40 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on you people! - You're hoarders in denial. Me included. Scrooge collected money - we collect projectors/film/equipment. Who needs more than half a dozen projectors? But what harm are we doing? Maybe we're the keepers of a wonderful past entertainment era and a means of passage for it to future generations. That's my excuse anyway.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 13, 2014 05:46 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are true historians!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 13, 2014 08:31 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice in total I have 22 (super 8mm) projectors + 3 16mm Projectors.

In honest way, I admit that I only use ST-1200 and GS-800 due o their light weight and durability.

I own GS-1200 just because you guys consider it as the best projector ever built. I bought them first, because the price was below $200/each and second I could be joining the GS-1200 owner club [Razz]

I don't own 16mm films, but 2 B&H projectors who have never been used at all since new had been lying in my former office and I could resist my self to salvage them when a garbage collector came to clean my office.

The 2 Eumigs were designed for standard 8mm only, but to date I never used them although I have some standard 8mm films. Just because they were silent films, I don't like them.

For the other projectors were my former projectors when I was still in the beginning stage. They were never been used when I have had the biggger machine.

I no longer hoard films. I Only buy films I wanted.

Now, I know I am a hoarder but (as an excuse) a manageable ones [Big Grin]

I can say this because although hoarding is not good, but my experience selling them through Ebay had given me some extra money. There are still many people who are just joining this hobby, and my hoarding habit has been paid off. [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2014 10:14 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, Winbert, might be time to retake the quiz! [Big Grin]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 16, 2014 04:07 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is one super 8 collector on here who has no less than 6 Elmo GS1200’s which is a little abstract perhaps. [Eek!]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 16, 2014 04:38 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not me, I only have three! They have all cost me a lot of money to keep running. Much too over-engineered.

--------------------
Maurice

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 16, 2014 07:11 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup quite a few people have mentioned the word over engineered before now and probably right although once you learn to do basic repairs and build a bit of confidence you get to love them, although I still find them extremely heavy and quite a lump.
[Eek!]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC