8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The H8ful Eight is shot on 70mm :)!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The H8ful Eight is shot on 70mm :)!!!
Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2015 12:15 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

saw this trailer the other day (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnRbXn4-Yis) and, knowing Tranatino, I wasn't surprised it would be shot on celluloid. The question I have, however, is this: at the conclusion to the trailer, it says to "Watch it in glorious Ultrascope Panavision 70". Seeing as almost every major movie house has gone digital, does he mean to do so literally :/? Anyone?

Best,
ET

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 13, 2015 12:34 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 100 cinemas in the US will be retrofitted with 70mm machines and the film will be shown before the dig(pukes a little)ital will be shown. Thumbs up for Tarantino

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2015 02:07 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Tarantino...indulges...and he loves film..and they like to indulge him like any whilst they are winning - but the companies main aim is "monetary wise" and their focus will have to be "mainstream"..worldwide cinema.which is holding it's pants "up" digital wise..I cannot see for the life of me retro installing in 100 cinemas.but hmm.70mm..nice experience..but for 1 film, c'mon! - it's an advertising plug/William Castle gimmick!

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 13, 2015 02:34 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what Vidar said is true although it is not 100 but 50:

http://www.slashfilm.com/hateful-eight-70mm/

Bussiness wise it is still make a sense because many 70mm copies are still around and they can just rerun old movies to make $$$.

I don't know how is in the UK Mark but as I have been Canada, you can be sued to make false information in marketing promotion.

--------------------
Winbert

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2015 03:26 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how many in London Still have 70mm other then NFT1/2 and the BFI Imax, hopefully the Imax will show it from film.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 13, 2015 05:07 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read 50 first too, but someone corrected me to 100
http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/12/hateful-eight-70mm-premiere/z

Do this link take you to the right place? I clicked it myself and didn't get what I expected. This is what's written there anyways

It's no secret that Quentin Tarantino prefers film over digital, and he's underscoring that point with the planned debut of The Hateful Eight. The director kicked off a San Diego Comic-Con panel with a video revealing that his Western was not only shot on giant 65mm film, but will screen in 70mm film before any other format. This will be a roadshow-style release where 100 theaters will put on a special show that might even recall the golden era of film, with overtures and intermissions. It'll expand to other formats after two weeks.

As for why Tarantino didn't go with smaller film stock? He argues that 70mm is good not just for dramatic outdoor vistas, but also for indoor scenes. It makes them "more intimate [and] more vital," which is important when The Hateful Eight is mostly set in one building in Wyoming. Tarantino adds that he also saw 70mm as a bargaining chip that would keep his movie on film. "I figured if I shoot in 70, they'll have to release it in 70," he says.

Not that he's completely averse to joining the modern era. At the Comic-Con panel, he explained that he saw digital projection as "HBO in public." If he eventually has no choice but to shoot in a TV-like digital medium, he might as well cut the middleman and produce for TV. It's just as well, he adds -- this would give him an opportunity to shoot larger stories instead of cutting things down for the movie theater. There's no indication that Tarantino is about to make a career switch (he notes that any talk of him calling it quits is premature), but you now know where he'd go if celluloid went away.

[ August 14, 2015, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Vidar Olavesen ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 14, 2015 01:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear, and great to see Kurt Russell in a new film. He's been largely missing for a few years!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2015 04:09 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winberts link mentions that Tarantino 'helped' to get the 50 projectors into cinemas. Did he make a financial contribution and are spare projectors obtainable as easily as that. Can't think there's many cinemas here still able to run 70mm. Unless I'm mistaken, our local Odeon retained their 70mm machine, but I could be wrong.

--------------------
Dave

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 14, 2015 06:38 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar your link has additional "z" at the back making this become a dead link. The correct one is:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/12/hateful-eight-70mm-premiere/

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 14, 2015 06:42 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Weird, I cut from address line

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 14, 2015 06:43 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Weird, I cut from address line

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2015 11:15 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

thanks a ton, as always, for the enlightening me [Smile] !!!

Best,
Elyas

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 18, 2015 03:46 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really would of thought the way to go these days with filming was to shot all films on 70mm negative. Imagine the qaulity ( even once to digital, sorry ).

Also the Archival benifits of 100+ years polyester 70mm current stock.

I would imagine 70mm real negative or film must beat 4K etc.

Best Mark.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2015 02:09 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No mention of them showing this film yet, but the Cinema Theatre Association magazine has a news item that the Prince Charles cinema of Leicester Square in London has installed 70mm projection to show 2001: A Space Odyssey on 19th Sept It is sold out now but more 70mm films are being programmed www.princecharlescinema.com.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted September 14, 2015 11:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
They WANT to get 100 screens, but as of right now the realistic goal is 50 because so many of the projectors were trashed the guys rebuilding are apparently having quite the time cannibalizing the machines to build enough good projectors (plus lamphouses and platters).

The prints are standard 5 perf, but with a 1.25x anamorphic. New lenses are having to be made for this release. That being said, these 50 (or 100) projectors are dts only...no mag sound. So older prints (if they exist) are out. Only the recent dts stuff, and they only ever did maybe a dozen titles in dts. Plus their lensing wouldn't be right, as these prints have the 1.25 anamorphic on them.

So in short, they are just for this one movie. Rep series on these machine is seriously unlikely.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2015 02:41 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5 perf with 1.25x anamorphic sounds like the machines that used to show Ben Hur and single projector "Cinerama" titles, not with DTS though.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2015 02:50 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
All of this undertaking for just one movie? -- wow.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 15, 2015 03:05 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been helping the distributor of the film here to locate the last few 70mm machines available on our shores. Some DP70s, Fp75s and Vic8s have resurfaced thanks to the help of private collectors and a handful of art houses.
There will be at least one (maybe two) complete set-ups that will be travelling from one venue to another for limited engagements.
ST270 platters (the most common here) are coming out of storage.
DTS timecode readers are harder to find. But I'm quite confident as the person in charge is a top guy.
As far as anamorphic lenses are concerned, I'm earing that the Weinstein Company have committed to deliver said lenses. I have the feeling that these will be digital anamorphic attachments retroffited for the occasion. That is going to be a very costly release...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2015 01:26 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By digital anamorphics, I assume you mean the ones that were used in the original 1280x1080 pixel DLP units that fitted to older 35mm lamphouses. They needed them because the native display from the chip was 4:3.

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2015 02:05 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

so is he "Tarantino" paying for all this...finding the machines..."leg work" involved for the people who are doing this? It sounds like a step to far...really!

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 16, 2015 02:15 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if this is essentially happening for one film, I expect Tarantino hopes it might cause others to follow in his footsteps, inspiring further such releases. Irrespective of whether everyone actually agrees, it sends out a strong message to the general public that a release on film can beat anything else. Is it known if it will also be screened in 'proper' IMAX cinemas? If so, Tarantino is presumably going to insist that it's screened via genuine IMAX prints and not via the digital version that I believe is taking over even in the huge-screen venues.

Certainly it's an initiative that hopefully Forum members will support. Perhaps we should suggest to him that the initial home viewing release is on Super 8, a few weeks before any DVD/Blu-ray!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 16, 2015 05:31 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian: no.
Originally, cinemascope in digital format is supposed to be obtained by placing a 1.25x optical anamorphic in front of of the regular lens in order to maximize the full digital matrix (which has a 1.9 ratio, in 2K, it's 2048x1080).
However, it's a big motorized beast that can be temperamental. It is very seldomly used. A lot of venues have either dumped its use or never used it. In most cases nowadays, the scope format is obtained by zooming into a letterboxed image to fill the screen.
The attachment is also useless now since the ratio for cinemascope has evolved from 2.35 to 2.39, and is even now in 2.40. And we see more and more intermediate ratios: Jurassic World was in 2.0, Tomorrowland was in 2.20.
In 2K, digital scope is 2048x858 pixels. In comparison, the Flat format is 1998x1080 (and therefore projects more pixels on screen).

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 26, 2015 03:41 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Bruno from this forum, I was lucky to be able to go with him to North of France to see one of the very few 70 mm projections in Europe (there were only three projections today, two originally scheduled but due to the success, a third one was added, then the precious 70 mm copy had to travel to another place). We did appreciate the film and the projection quality (nothing can beat filmstock experience). We were allowed to go in the projection room and see how 70 mm is projected. Magic experience of course. If you have the opportunity to see this film as it should be seen, don't hesitate one second !

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2015 03:53 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me of when Ben Whale brought his 70mm projector to the BFCC we could watch him lace up and show a reel or two at the convention.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 27, 2015 05:32 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPECTRE was also shot in Panavision for archive purpose then transferred to digital for release. The same was done for The Judge. I worked on The Judge as an extra and spoke with the cameraman and he gave me the info. Goes to show you that the confidence is still in film!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC