8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Interstellar.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interstellar.
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2015 04:02 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go, a bit out of date now, but still interesting.

And do watch the videos too...

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/11/christopher-nolan-wants-you-see-interstellar-70mm-you-should

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 06, 2015 12:55 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rob for posting this. This is so cool! So great to see film still being used.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 08, 2015 03:25 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting, but many of the comments made by folk that went to watch it were not very enthusiastic about the IMAX presentation [Roll Eyes] which is a shame.

I wonder why?

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2015 03:55 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Interstellar in IMAX back in December. The film presentation in Sydney was so good that during the Tsunami sequence, I genuinely felt sea sick.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2015 04:44 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched it on Blu-ray (sorry [Roll Eyes] ) and was slightly concerned that there was a slight flicker on the Imax sequences.

Same thing happened on "The Dark Knight".

Looks like very, very slight, but rapid changes in density.

I mention it because surely this must be some sort of mastering issue and nothing to do with the Imax negative?

Checked on three players and two displays and there it is.

Never seen this on anything else. Odd? [Confused]

It was amusing to read that many theatre owners were furious at Warner Bros. for the early film release, given the expense many have gone to in order to provide digital only projection.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2015 11:42 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Analog is so hard to get right. Graham, I got to see this in Imax twice, sitting in the middle of the room about 40% of the way back from the screen both times: first in 2K digital, in Denver, and the sound was one of the best theater sound systems I've ever heard. The huge pixels were annoying but ultimately didn't ruin the experience. Second was at Universal City in 70mm, where the sound was loud but not as sweet or extending as low as in Denver, but the picture was unbelievable. We knew we were seeing something that no other type of theater on earth could deliver.

The differences in mastering between the two formats were very surprising to me. As in, the differences were significant and not necessarily well-matched, though at times they were. That they were ever mismatched is what surprised me.

We've also watched it once on Blu-ray and I didn't notice any flickering, though now that makes me curious if it isn't imperfections from the negative. I hope not. Usually I'd notice this.

In every case, the old adage is true: the devil is in the details.

The many complaints about flickering in the comments at the listed article site makes me concerned that people are so used to flickerless digital images, that even a 3-bladed shutter is no longer acceptable to the eye. The days of the "flick" are over. Sad.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 09, 2015 03:08 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill [Smile]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2015 11:21 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My pleasure. Wish we were on the same continent!

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2015 02:00 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, with the greatest respect, I'm not sure which version you preferred...the Imax film version, or the Imax digital version and would greatly appreciate your evaluation.

I think any image flicker in a professional auditorium is potentially an intrinsic problem with the light source, film or digital?

Maybe, in the next few years, laser light sources can put this issue to rest.

Shutter flicker is one thing, but at least it is constant.

Varying flicker, as in changing density of image, seems to be the main complaint amongst some Imax critics.

That is usually due to a "flickering" lamp house, film, or digital?

What concerns me this; is the "flicker" in the Blu-ray transfer of the Imax images a mastering issue, or a capture issue?

Surely this can't be a negative issue...someone with knowledge of this please reassure me...

[ September 10, 2015, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC