8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Sad new from the BFCC Facebook page

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sad new from the BFCC Facebook page
Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2016 03:21 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RIP Barry Littlechild.

Those who subscribe to projections magazine will have read that he mentioned his illness in the latest issue, states another post there. I do not - so can give no further details. Despite the feelings against him in the other thread I feel sad another has gone.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 20, 2016 03:47 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very sad, a major player in our hobby for many years. a very straight talking man.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2016 04:38 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
rip barry he bought dozerns of films from me and we did a lot of swops

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 20, 2016 04:57 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom's words here very much echo my own.

Barry was a real character within this hobby and even to this day, I am still reading new to me FFTC editions that feature the larger than life scriptures of Barry.

Very very sad news this today.
Along with my fellow Mancunian Victoria Wood passing, today is very much a Time for reflecting sadly.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 20, 2016 06:55 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry to hear this. Without doubt one of the 'larger than life' characters of the film world and someone that bravely got on with life even when there was no hope of recovery. His home cinema was extraordinary and he was a staunch supporter of the Blackpool Convention for many years. He won't be remembered for his diplomacy - and I suspect he would have said that I was being needlessly tactful by phrasing it like that - but he could also be very generous and supportive. I'm sure he could have written a very entertaining book of film-related anecdotes, which would have ranged from projecting for the Queen previews of the Christmas message on 16mm (in the Buckingham Palace cinema) to visiting Joe Dante in relation to his radio work, and coming away with some desirable 16mm features, having been told by Mr Dante: "You can have those, the cat's pissed on them!"

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2016 01:07 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A character, larger than life with a vast knowledge of all things cine. I have nothing but positive memories and experiences of him although I know he could be a menace to some and had a trigger like temper which flared like a rocket. Great writer and broadcaster. RIP Barry no doubt you are already causing arguments and rows up there.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2016 01:47 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know his name. I just cannot picture him. Anybody any photographs,please?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2016 01:49 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Goodness, he certainly caused some controversy in his time!

One of life's entertainers.

RIP

Sadly, another of our film fraternity gone to the cinema in the sky.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2016 03:19 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The world of film collecting has suddenly became a duller place.
The passing of a legend.
Farewell old friend.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 24, 2016 05:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
To Melvin...

Barry is infamous in the world of film collecting, especially here in the UK. To not have heard of Barry Littlechild, is the equivalent in UK Television terms, of never of having heard of Morecambe & Wise!

I have just returned from a very pleasant and extremely busy time away from home, but tomorrow, I will post a few pictures of Barry taken from the legendary F.F.T.C. series of magazines.

Barry was capable of causing a stir in an empty room from all accounts.

This only adds to Barry's legacy in his particular case! [Smile] [Wink]

R.I.P. Barry, you will be missed and will remain etched on many peoples minds in this crazy hobby of ours! [Frown]
Of that, I'm certain!

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2016 04:59 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew.

This is where I have fallen short all these years.I attend the Blackpool convention every year, have been collecting films since the '70's (black and white silents then, as my pocket money would allow - now several colour sound features as time progressed and income increased)but seem to have somehow kept myself isolated in terms of familiarising myself with the people there or even them with me. There are lots of faces I recognise year in,year out that I couldn't put a name to (and they may even recognise me). Certainly I am aware of who a few people are....David Guest,Phil Sheard,Bob Nicholls or,of course,the late Derek Simmonds to name a few, but,as I said in my last post, Barry's name was one that I was aware of,but just wasn't quite certain which face the name belonged to,hence the photo request.
The sad truth is that yet another member of our fraternity has left us and leaves the world of 8mm, 9.5mm and 16mm film collecting looking a shade darker than it was previously. R.I.P.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 25, 2016 05:46 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, I apologize as I've been extremely busy today, but when I'm next off, I will post a photo here of Barry taken from one of the FFTC mags.

I am certain you will recognize him given your fantastic support to this hobby over the years. [Wink]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 25, 2016 05:51 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I know Barry Littlechild (from his reviews of course) but I've never heard of "Morecambe & Wise". That is probably one more lack in my culture.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 25, 2016 05:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They were a great classic comedy duo Dominique here in the UK and of similar status in respect of their popularity as another great duo who now sadly are no longer with us, The Two Ronnies.
Ronnie Barker & Ronnie Corbett, the latter who has only recently passed away here.

We are losing all too many here the moment. Even today, another two I heard of from the world of entertainment, all very sad. [Frown]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 25, 2016 06:11 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont't know "Morecambe & Wise" but I know The Two Ronnies. I remember having seen long time ago a program on the BBC about them ; they were invited and black and white extracts were shown.
I was impressed that they had a long career, which is not so common I think for a duo of humorists. I remember them because of the name of their duo.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 30, 2016 02:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin I have now placed a few photographs over on the other place of Barry and friends from a bye gone era, if you're interested.

Bob Nicholls is among them. [Smile]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 11, 2016 02:12 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good new : I've just found train tickets for the week-end of the BFCC in October :-) It is strange as last week the cheap tickets were sold out but I don't mind this kind of mysteries [Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2016 06:25 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I expect it is due to computer programs working on the rate of sale of tickets, when it finds the number sold is lower than predicted the price goes down again.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC