8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Muhammad Ali Dies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Muhammad Ali Dies
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2016 02:05 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could not help shedding a tear when I heard the news this morning. My all time hero and peoples Champion. Such a great personality that touched the hearts of people all over the world. R.I.P. Ali.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 04, 2016 03:35 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry

I still remember hearing at school aged 12, when the news came he won the Heavyweight Championship against Sunny Liston way back in 1964. he was the greatest and proved it not just in boxing but also what he also stood for.

here is just one of the many interviews from the past certainly worth watching.

https://youtu.be/4zs5lCrHxCc

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2016 04:04 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might just get my 6x 400' Skill,Brains and Guts out tonight in tribute.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2016 10:10 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A true legend. Rest in peace.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 04, 2016 10:16 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
R.I.P. Big Man. You were a true character!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2016 11:29 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always a big fan of Ali. I remember seeing him train in the early 1970s at his Deer Lake, Pa. camp, which is close to where I live...R.I.P.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 04, 2016 11:30 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to watch his 15 round bouts in the 1970's on live television. He was and is, one of thr true masters of the ring!

As an avid lover of boxing, I was so enamored with Ali, and was equally saddened as I saw him continuing to box after he was past his prime. I was so elated when he actually won back the title a third time against the young man who won it from him (Spinx) when, instead of doing Ali's "Rope A Dope" (which they were expecting), Ali stood toe to toe against the much younger Spinx and beat him ...

Then, he made a terrible mistake ...

He decided to try to get the title back again against his old sparring partner, Larry Holmes. Holmes knew his old mentors every move and, as he stated years later, though he didn't want to hurt his idol, he beat the living hell out of Ali until, in the 8th (or 10th) round, Ali chose not to get up for the next round. He was truly, terribly beaten.

He had one fight after that with an unknown loser, and did narrowly win that one, but watching him in that fight, you could see that something major was taken out of him in the Holmes fight, and though he had already, before Holmes, started to slur his words a little, the effects of that Holmes beating became apparant shortly afterwards.

Ali, you were and are, in my opinion ... the greatest to ever step in that ring!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2016 11:51 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, so you're calling Trevor Berbick, a future World Heavyweight Champion, an "unknown loser"? The fact is Ali didn't win that fight. Berbick won a ten round unanimous decision...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2016 01:05 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was the greatest and I am very sad to hear of his passing. His record would have been much better had he not been suspended from the ring during some of his prime years.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 04, 2016 04:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a couple of photos that you might be interested in from the internet, when he paid a visit to Scotland back in 1965.
 -

-

-

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 05, 2016 10:09 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's is a wonderful and poignant performance Billy Crystal did for Mohammed Ali called "15 Rounds."

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15952866

R.I.P. CHAMP

[ June 05, 2016, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2016 10:47 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember being in 6th grade and the promotional build-up for the first Sonny Liston fight. Wow, so many years ago, but it is still vivid. I agree with Osi about the Holmes fight...terrible beating.

--------------------
John Hermes

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2016 12:02 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great link Janice. Very funny and obviously Ali enjoyed it too. I didn't know that Billy Crystal did impression! Thanks for that.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 06, 2016 06:56 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when Ali came to the UK to fight the British champ Henry Cooper. Everyone that I knew thought Ali was an overrated wind bag, and that Cooper would beat the crap out of him.
Well how wrong they were. Ali proved himself a masterful boxer and Cooper only lasted a few rounds.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2016 02:57 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the Cooper / Clay fight have a look here at around 7:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frn3rTj5DOY

Ali saved by the bell with Henry beaten by his one weakness the cut eyebrow.

Greatest respect for Ali and 'our 'Enry' RIP to you both.

Kevin

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 07, 2016 03:24 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rarely watch sports at all now because there are no more characters or personalities around any-more, but i always use to watch Muhammad Ali,he was a great sportsman but also fun & entertaining to watch and did so much for so many people.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 07, 2016 03:40 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its been a long time now but I do remember once on TV that Ali lost his cool with Michael Parkinson "big time" over comments that he "Ali" that is, was better than Henry Cooper and Ali was in a different class compared with Henry Cooper.

Ali would have none of it, and was a full of "respect" of Henry Cooper, I thought Michael Parkinson was really pushing it with Ali...not a good idea.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 07, 2016 06:35 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that one to Graham, in fact,Ali actually got up and i if you remember, Parkinson looked a worried man. [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 07, 2016 12:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, you're right. My memory must be getting bad. I always thought his last fight was with some largely un known white fellow, that he beat, must be thinking about some other fighter late in his career.

I thought I'd watch that Holmes/Ali fight on youtube and I was honestly just about in tears watching it. I'd forgotten just how terrible it was. After about three rounds, Ali pretty much did the rope a dope and hoped that, maybe larry Holmes would tire of punching on him, but it didn't happen. In the last round, Ali didn't even throw a punch, but just got mercilously hammered continually.

To see you're hero/idol get so destroyed was hard to watch. One almost gets the sense that perhaps Ali just wanted to end his life in the ring that night, but we'll never know what was in his head at the time.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 07, 2016 02:39 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Tom, I thought Parkinson was going to get wacked over those comments of Henry Cooper. Didn't Henry Cooper knock out Ali at some stage of Ali early career?

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2016 02:49 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry a bit OT but Parky was more wary of Rod Hull & Emu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqrg_VCPgAQ

Kevin

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2016 03:38 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched ALI with Will Smith starring as Ali. Great film which characterised Ali very well.
At the end of the fight Don King tried to lift Ali aloft in false adulation as he really expected, and wanted, George Foreman to win. Ali pushed him away and shouted something at King which wiped the false smile off his face. I would love to know what Ali said to him. I think there was no love lost from Ali toward King, quite rightly as King was just in it for the money. I don't believe he had respect for any fighter.
History will tell the tale. There will be no great public show of affection or sorrow when King dies.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC