8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Terminator 2 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Terminator 2
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 20, 2016 12:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That's it in a nutshell guys. It doesnt matter whatever limits we set for ourselves as genuine collectors, if someone wants to pay a penny more and then use them as frisby's..
That's just the way it goes.

There's loads of films still in good condition and for reasonable money though thankfully.
Just be glad for what we do have already, not what we don't!

Good luck to anyone who has more money than I have, I say.
That gives everyone plenty of scope! 😂😂

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2016 12:31 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose in this case its not where the bidding started,(very low) but where it finished. If he had put a buy it now price of £1550.00 would he still have, who knows maybe. I would not pay millions for a barn find Ferrari that needs restoration, but someone would. It's all about what you would pay for a film and that's a personal thing. If your looking for bargains on these titles now, then keep looking I hope you find one, I will pay a fair price for a feature and a bit more for the more rare one's and where possible will negotiate a price that's acceptable to both parties, if your getting a bargain and both know it, don't take the piss, its a buyer's market no one is forcing you to pay a high price for anything. How many would hand back the cash that we think has been overpaid for this film, non I'm guessing, Ebay has this affect unfortunately.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 20, 2016 12:43 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn`t charge anyone that amount of money if it was my print.

I just would never feel right about it at all.

But strangest of all are the people who will sit there and keep seeing new black, and Green !!!! scratches every time they watch a print and do nothing about it.

I have a very bad memory overall but I know if a new scratch pops up on all the films I have, oddly maybe, I suppose.

Best Mark.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 20, 2016 01:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people are just simply oblivious to scratches it would seem Mark.
Or least that's what they'd have you believe!

I get engrossed like the next man in a film, but I gotta say, never to the extent of seeing part of the picture being exchanged for a green smiley mouth shape, two green dots, or worse still a bloody big green line right down the middle!!

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2016 01:22 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over 30 people bid on this and could see the damage and read the description quite clearly, it still didn't stop them bidding, as I say its a personal thing, no one was forced to bid, but they did.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 20, 2016 01:34 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah apparently so Paul.

I just said over on the other place, I am going to invest in a battered old Cinerex before I sell any of my films based on recent revelations!

I might be missing out on thousands otherwise! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2016 01:44 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just put one on Ebay, start bid is £1500.00 I think that's a fare start price, this will guarantee to scratch your films and increase there value ten fold.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 20, 2016 02:02 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2016 04:51 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes its a personal thing how much someone is willing to pay
for a print in any condition.
However I don't love any movie that much to pay such silly prices
just because its on film. I question the "sanity" of such individuals.

I am over the moon because I just picked up a brand new sealed
Blu-Ray disc of THE ARTIST for the princely sum of £1.00.
I kid ye not.

The quality is of the transfer is superb.
Now how much would that cost if it was on film ? [Big Grin]

With any luck I might pick up a Blu-Ray disc of T2 for the same price. [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 20, 2016 05:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Highly likely David from somewhere. [Smile] [Wink]

Never forget though mate, it was this same technology that both ended film en masse and threw many film projectionists out of work.
So it isn't all good news surrounding those ones and noughts.

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2016 09:05 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew I agree with what you say regarding the technology
and the mass unemployment of projectionists worldwide and the
demise of film as the main source in Cinemas.

However I have shed no tears over this and never will.
That side of the Film Exhibition Industry was becoming really
bad for three decades even during the FILM-ERA for Projectionists.
I am not alone in that as we lost many skilled operators due to
the overall changing attitudes from our "Bosses".
So the internal politics as regards Projectionists Vs Cinema Owners was not all that rosy in the garden.
Our Unions were getting seriously pissed off and we came close to
strikes on numerous occasions.

So regards the Industry as a whole I am glad to be out of it for good.
In an ironic twist of fate the coming of DIGITAL is the best thing that could have happened to me and others who felt the same way.

In fact there was a rush for the EXIT when the redundancies
became a reality. We were happy to be Terminated.

So in the words of Rhett Butler " Frankly I don't give a damn !"...for the Cinema Industry that is.
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 21, 2016 09:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes David, still a shame though to witness the demise of an industry which clearly held your and many other peoples interest throughout your working life.

If you think the demands were hard and unfair then David, you want to see them now in industry!! [Wink]

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2016 09:20 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Andrew I am fully aware of how bad things have became in the Industry as I still keep touch with those who were doomed to remain. That includes Management teams.

Personally I would have walked out by now sticking two fingers
up to it on my way out. Job or no Job. I now have my life back.

[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 21, 2016 10:08 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you David! I hope to do likewise in a decade and a half! [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2016 11:30 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you can Andrew.
It is very liberating. In more ways than one. [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]
Its great to TERMINATE !

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2016 11:45 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello David how nice to here from you, how sad the story you tell of the industry you must have enjoyed at some point, although why am I not surprised. Much of this is very much mis management and can you now run 4 - 5 projectors because they are auto loading, and your not doing anything between changeovers just sitting on your arse watching films all day. I worked in engineering for over 30 years and this is the management speak you hear more and more, spin a few more plates will you while that's running, automation automation faster faster, like f**kin galley slaves.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 21, 2016 11:51 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds of a sale for a STAR WARS Derann print some years back, the seller honestly put up screenshots which showed a very well loved print, complete with scratches, and he got 1,800.00!

I'd be willing to bet that this won't get THAT price again, but you never really know with crazy ole ebay! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 21, 2016 12:05 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it is very important these days to constantly accept change despite my inner instincts regarding many of them.

Equally you have to accept now, that whatever was deemed acceptable performance levels last year of both Man and Machine,
well it won't be next year!

It just get's harder and harder year on year, but ironically, as Human Beings, we are pretty well equipped to adapt to these changes when we present ourselves correctly and use our wisdom accordingly! [Wink]

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 22, 2016 12:44 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How many would hand back the cash that we think has been overpaid for this film, none I'm guessing
I certainly wouldn't if I was the seller! Absolutely no reason to feel any guilt when the film was described in such detail. If I'd struck lucky in this way, I'd simply feel it was good luck balancing the many times that I've accepted far less than a film was worth. Around 8 years ago I sold two or three Derann Hammer features that would now be sought-after. They were all like new, not bluish and good sound 1990s prints and run no more than once (sold because I'd obtained nice 16mm copies) but it was a struggle then to even get half my money back.

Another question would be: "would you sell a feature for £200-300 if you think it could easily go for £500+ on eBay?" Credit is due to dealers who keep prices realistic - e.g. the highest price Super 8 feature I saw at Blackpool was a print of 'Brainstorm' offered by CHC, but anyone who paid £275 for this would have no trouble getting their money back if selling it later.

[ November 22, 2016, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2016 01:40 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very well put Adrian, Ebay has this affect on us all from time to time, but its still a good place to buy and sell films, never understood why Derann never made the transition, I believe they might still be here in some shape or form.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 22, 2016 03:56 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to search on completed list but not found the link. Can you guys provide the link for the film being discussed please.

--------------------
Winbert

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2016 01:02 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-8mm-Feature-Terminator-2-Judgment-Day-Derann-1991-Scope-/282249317081?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT&nma=true&si=vphT46VOA8lIQf 5RoGE2VWiiw2s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Still awaiting everyone to put their own prints on eBay. Nothing yet...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2016 01:26 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the seller was honest, so you pays your money...

Will be interesting to see if the sale actually goes ahead.

I owned a print of this once from new. Derann's original mono recording was pretty poor with no clarity. Subsequently discovered that with a little persuasion, they could re-record it into stereo which was a lot better.

Although not perfect (a phase error on part 3), but better than the amateur re-recording attempt I paid for, which resulted in a mess of "wow".

The print was ok, but some "bounce" and neg marks here and there.

Regarding digital cinema, my biggest "aghast moment" came in 2012 when I went to see Ridley Scott's Prometheus at The Empire Leicester Square and found the old projection room at the rear of the auditorium knocked down to provide more seating (covered at that point in tarpaulin) with the new digital projector hanging from the ceiling mid-auditorium; like a big home cinema room, but actually with rather poor quality images.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2016 02:56 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul good to hear from you on here again.

Yep its certainly changed days in the Cinema Industry but not
really for the better.

To much big time corporate business bullshit these days.

No sense of a "family atmosphere" anymore.

Unlike my days working for The Rank Organisation or the A.B.C
Circuits. Or even a good Independent Chain.

Its all "Gone With The Wind " and down the proverbial plughole for good.

Still I have my happy memories of the old times and the people
I worked with.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC