8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Active content ebay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Active content ebay
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2017 04:40 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else having problems viewing their listings? They have said that active content will be switched off. Is this what they mean? and if so how are you supposed to monitor your listings?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2017 04:55 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
same with me. can view my watch list but my sale listings i cannot get. how long will this last ?

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2017 05:22 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have they turned off the active content then? and what is the point?

Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2017 05:34 AM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not just me then i can stop blaming my computer thanks

--------------------
kinema king

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2017 06:03 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Made a mess of my ebay page why don't they leave stuff alone.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 23, 2017 06:04 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are not alone gentlemen:-
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/795307/eBay-down-website-not-working-UK-buy-sell-log-in

--------------------
Maurice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2017 01:23 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything ok now - but is this how it is going to be when they 'switch off Active content ' Does anyone know what they mean by this? They are threatening to do so soon. I would assume active content is anything that a seller lists and what would be the purpose of this? It would mean that what happened today is a taste of what is to come. Does anyone have a clue of what they mean?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 23, 2017 03:12 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you just are using text or pure HTML in your descriptions then you should not have a problem. Active content consist of dynamic coding in HTML such as javascript...dhtml...embeded video (ex. YouTube)... external services...etc. If you are using a service to create your listings they may not work nor will any scrolling images of your other listings (usually seen at the bottom of the listing). All HTML hyperlinks must be coded properly with target= "_blank" so that they open a new browser page.

The notice I got from Ebay is saying Active Content will be cut-off in June this year. There is a button on your listing that only you can see that you can press to test if your page works after Active Content has been disabled in June.

[ April 23, 2017, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2017 04:13 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Janice
It seems that if you are just simply listing then we will be unaffected. What I do not understand is why Ebay impose all these rules. Their remit is to promote listings and collect the revenue, so why make rules that detract from their prime objective? I think they employ too many spotty faced geeks that don't know their arses from their elbows with regard to business.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 23, 2017 04:30 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Terry. Ebay says the elimination of active content will speed up loading of pages and improve mobile access. Most of my listings have included video demos from YouTube. After June embedded videos will not work. In my last listing instead of using the embedding code... I just posted a photo that looked like the embedded YouTube image and then hyperlinked it to YouTube. When clicked ...it then goes to YouTube and pops up in another page that runs the video. Not as professional as an embedded video, but better than nothing. When tested with active content removed everything worked. So that's my solution.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 24, 2017 03:38 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read that as so many people now access eBay from small mobile devices such as phones the removal of active content will make their small screens less uncluttered and more easily managed.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC