8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Comedy Legend Jerry Lewis Dead

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comedy Legend Jerry Lewis Dead
Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2017 03:13 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry has died from natural causes aged 91. A full life and on this occasion the word Legend is fully justified.😥

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 20, 2017 03:57 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is very sad news.
A bit disappointed to see that he only gets a five minute spot on the BBC news, yet programmes were interrupted for Mr Forsyth's death announcement, followed by hours and hours of coverage.

Jerry Lewis was a worldwide comedy genius. I know he wasn't everyone's favourite but the way the BBC treat there own Vs everyone else is pretty dismal. Bruce Forsyth is /was a British treasure but anyone who was watching the TV when programmes were interrupted may get what i am saying, & i dont mean any disrespect to Bruce Forsyth, he is irreplaceable, like Jerry Lewis.

It was Jerry Lewis who created the use in film making of the video assist, the nutty professor was the first feature film to use it fully, directed by Lewis himself. While there were versions of VA before this film it was lewis who used it as standard in movie making. Lewis was an actor, comedian, singer, film director,writer film producer. He will be missed but like them all we have his zany comedy films to look back on.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2017 04:09 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree Tom. No disrespect to Bruce Forsyth but nobody will remember him this time next year. Jerry Lewis was a complex character in his personal life but he is up there with the Comedy Giants even at 90 he was zany and insane. Last story on ITV.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 20, 2017 04:22 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, all i can say is, i hope there will be programmes in memory of him here in the UK. Sat here now at 10.16pm i have flipped through the channels and found no less than three one programmes on Mr Forsyth, as i said, no disrespect to him but as always the BBC & other channels are being totally disproportionate in this.
Tomorrow evening we will put our feature of Dont give up the ship through our Elmo as a tribute from us.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2017 05:28 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the difference between the two is simply Bruce was in the limelight more and as such will get more air time,most people in this country wouldn't have any idea what Jerry Lewis has been up since the 60's,unfortunately I'd even go as far to say from reactions I've heard today that quite a few people thought he'd died years back,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2017 06:11 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also I suspect that the BBC had already got his tribute program on the shelf. They do that with some personalities and after Bruce's illness earlier in the year they might have been more prepared than with an American whose health has not been in the news.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 21, 2017 11:44 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A great comedy genius who could do comedy as well as drama ...

I remember him quite recently, doing an eposide of " Law and Order: Special Victims Unit ", where he was an ex-cop, suffering from Dimensia, living in a card board box on the streets.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2017 01:24 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...So many funny films. Jerry, Thank you. When I was a teenager, no comedian made me laugh. But Jerry did. He was the type that you either loved him or...To me, I remember The Disorderly Orderly. And The Big Mouth. The genius Nutty Professor.. and His performance in The King of Comedy. There was a young Ed Wood type filmmaker who had Jerry do a comedic comeback. The material was beneath him, but he did it anyway to help the young man... Mr. Jerry Lewis: Thank You For Putting A Smile on My Face

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 22, 2017 11:32 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And lets not forget the decades of work that Jerry did for the Muscular Dystrophy Association, raising hundreds of millions of dollars. Some people criticized him for his over hyped emotional performances every Labor Day weekend on US television, but nobody else raised the amount of money that Jerry did.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC