8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Advice on selling

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice on selling
Jon Edmunds
Junior

- posted October 05, 2017 03:50 PM      Profile for Jon Edmunds   Email Jon Edmunds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask.

My father passed away earlier this year. He was a cine buff back in the day and had collected a lot of bits and pieces. When clearing out his house I couldn't bring myself to bin it until I checked out all the 8mm home movies first, now find myself with a load of old films and cameras etc.

As it stands I have several projectors, possibly a camera (not checked all the boxes but he had one) and a load of films/bits and bobs(wide angle lens ect).

I tried out two of the 16mm projectors and a few films to just see if they worked. I noticed one had a cinema leader (if that is the correct name for the bit at the start of the film) with some hollywood/copywrite stuff printed on it. Does this mean it was an original cinema film rather than a copy, one of his friends who used to be a projectionist some years ago so it might have come from him. There was also a couple that appeared to be advertisement films.

I tried searching for the film names but couldn't find them on ebay so I kind of gave up and decided to come back to it over Christmas, but it made me realise it might be difficult to price this stuff up. I also don't know if there is increased value if it had a cinema header.

Apart from searching on here/ebay are there any other resources to look at when I get back to looking at them. Whenever I try searching all I get is people offering to transfer films to DVD.

I plan to go through everything one by one and research on the web to see what/if it is worth anything, then put it all up a as job lot at a reduced price, preferably to a collector rather than a retailer.
It would be nice to know someone wants them for what they are rather than what they are worth.

|  IP: Logged

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2017 04:05 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jon - There are more experienced people than myself on this forum who I am sure will advise you on pricing.

However, can you just clarify..... the films you mentioned... are we talking package movies ( ones bought from a shop) or your own personal family home movies.... or both? If so, what sort of ratio of home movies to package movies,please?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Jon Edmunds
Junior

- posted October 05, 2017 04:42 PM      Profile for Jon Edmunds   Email Jon Edmunds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some home stuff but I wouldn't sell those, if any good I'll get them transferred to DVD.
Most are proper films (i.e. IMDB listed).
A quick glance at the boxes, by no means a full list. Just a selection to give an idea and still to be tested to make sure all there and they are mot empty/correct films

8mm
Blitz on Britain (several reels)
The Jolson story
The toughest target
A farewell to arms
Dambusters (several reels)
King Kong (1933 several reels)
Airport
Sounds of music
where eagles dare (3 reels)
Saturday night fever
flying cage (no case but if memory servers it is a cartoon, poss tweety pie)
confessions of a driving instructor
Elvis
Dr Zhivago
We dive at Dawn

16mm (most in tins so only checked a few of them)
Jack frost (B&W silent cartoon)
The sellout (Oliver reed)
Touch of mink (dorris day)
Kansas lilly (Wyatt Erp with Columbus pictures details on leader)
Wagon train
Coast to coast

Other stuff.
16mm ilford elmo F16-1000 (lens looks different the ones I found on the internet)
16mm tqm 2692 as
At least 1 8mm and camera (not checked the models), there could be others. Also a couple of speaker boxes and screen. a box of bulbs, lenses and other things I have yet to work out what they are.

I still haven't gone through it yet so only mentioned what I can see easily in the boxes bags to give an idea.

I'm not looking for prices or to sell yet, just some help in how to put a value on it all.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 06, 2017 03:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon
Most collectors will already have the 8mm titles. Are they standard 8 or Super 8?
The 16mm titles are a bit more attractive.
You could put them on eBay with a low starting bid, it is quite unbelievable how high final prices often get.
If you want to sell the lot in one go, no doubt a dealer might be interested.

--------------------
Maurice

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2017 11:50 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again,Jon.

I have sent you some advice in a private email that does not display on this forum.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Jon Edmunds
Junior

- posted October 06, 2017 03:25 PM      Profile for Jon Edmunds   Email Jon Edmunds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies (and PM's)

I expect there will be some super and some standard 8 (I certainly remember my Dad starting back in standard 8 days).

I will look into the ebay auctions when the time comes.
The only reason for thinking of a job lot was down to the time it takes to watch each one all the way through (to gauge quality) and then auction it. There are quite a few films so it would take a while to get through them all.
If I have the time when I get round to looking at them the auction would certainly save me having to try and price everything up first.
Believe it or not I had actually forgotten ebay was an auction site, As I always use buy it now on there [Roll Eyes]

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2017 06:54 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re your films and equipment why not have a stall at my north west film fair in novemeber and have a great day out in the bargain or put them on the bring and buy or put them in the auction email me on dwgdodgems@hotmail.co.uk thanks david

Jon Edmunds
Junior

- posted October 07, 2017 03:07 AM      Profile for Jon Edmunds   Email Jon Edmunds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the offer of a stall but I'm going to be a flat out with other things between now and Christmas.

It would also need me to be able to prices everything up which is the original issue I was having.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 07, 2017 04:33 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon
Remember the old saying.
A thing is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

--------------------
Maurice

Jon Edmunds
Junior

- posted October 07, 2017 06:06 AM      Profile for Jon Edmunds   Email Jon Edmunds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very true.

I'm not look to make a load of money from the this, I'd just rather not throw anything away that someone might want.
Any items that don't sell will be offered for free to a good home.

It is unlikely there will have anything really rare but he did know some cinema projectionists back in the day so who knows what is there.

As I'm on here I did take a photo of the one projector with the different lens (so I could google the name later) and noticed it seems to a different lens to the pictures I found on the web. Purely out of interest does anyone know what is going on with it, is it a wide angle or long throw lens or something like that. It's not really important at the moment but I was just peeked my interest.
 -

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 07, 2017 06:18 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like a lens is attached to the basic lens.
As I can read NORMAL on the attached I am wondering whether it is a zoom attachment, i.e., a lens to alter the focal length of the basic lens which is, no doubt, a 2".
Quite an unusual projector as it is badged ILFORD ELMO, something I've never seen.

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2017 01:43 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Ilford imported Elmo cine and slide projectors and cameras in the 1960's and early 1970's. A local discount chain "Headquarters and General Supplies" always had Ilford Elmo in their lists, they even mentioned the ElmoScope lens bracket on some. Some of my oldest Movie Maker magazines also have them as Ilford Elmo.

Jon Edmunds
Junior

- posted October 09, 2017 03:20 PM      Profile for Jon Edmunds   Email Jon Edmunds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems my last reply didn't make it through, maybe I forgot to hit post.
I'll check out the lens to see if it is an adaptor next time I get the projector out.
I remember my dad saying he preferred Elmo to other makes and talked highly of them over others he had when others asked. It is the only projector name I remember due to his enthusiasm for them.
Sadly the really old brown projector that I remember wasn't in the house so he probably gave it to his mate (an ex cinema projectionist) or sold it. That one looked like it was around during the war (maybe he swiped it when he was demobbed lol), it would have been interesting finding out it's history.

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2017 06:45 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It looks like a lens is attached to the basic lens.
As I can read NORMAL on the attached I am wondering whether it is a zoom attachment, i.e., a lens to alter the focal length of the basic lens which is, no doubt, a 2".

As Maurice stated that's the Elmo Zoom Converter. You could put it on a 2 inch lens(50mm) and make the image projected on the screen smaller or larger using the attachment.

Jon Edmunds
Junior

- posted October 10, 2017 02:19 AM      Profile for Jon Edmunds   Email Jon Edmunds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know, thanks.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 10, 2017 02:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some information on Ilford-Elmo products:-
https://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Elmo.html
And here's the AR-16 projector:-
https://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Elmo/ElmoAR-16.html

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC