8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Digital Projector Lamp Life

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Digital Projector Lamp Life
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 29, 2018 10:47 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lamp on my Panasonic PT-AE4000 digital projector has now reached 3000 hours, all of it accumulated in eco mode. At around 2800 hrs the projector put up a warning to replace the lamp, and went into an automatic shut down every 10 minutes. So, I went into the menu and reset the lamp life to zero. Since then the projector has been running fine and is plenty bright enough even in eco mode. My question is " am I risking damage to the projector by continuing to use this lamp?"

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2018 11:12 AM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is a risk. In most cases the lamp will just get dim, dull and black, but those lamps, like xenons, sometimes have the annoying habit to explode once they are pushed too far beyond their expected life cycle. So I guess it's a gamble.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2018 03:19 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at 3150 hours on my BenQ W1070. The lamp is rated for 3500 hours and I'm not going to push it because I've also read about them exploding. I already have a replacement ready for when the brightness starts to dim...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2018 04:40 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul I would not take the risk and just change the lamp.

Panasonic do warn about a greater chance of a lamp exploding if used after the estimated lamp life time.

The damage it may cause to your projector if it did explode is not worth the risk.

Think yourself lucky you even got lamp life up to the hours you have so far.

I have known of lamps to give up the ghost with only 700 hours use on the clock even though the estimated life is 3000 hours.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 30, 2018 05:16 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think mine is up to about 750 in 2 years, 3000 odd is some serious good watching Paul.

I see you can get a lamp from about £65 here. Up to around £200 ish.

Not sure what they are from Panasonic.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/panasonic-pt-ae4000-lcd-projector

Looks like a great machine.

I love film but I would still recommend anyone who has`nt taken the LCD plunge to go for it as soon as you can.

Watched Capricorn One on Blu Ray last night and it was fantastic.

Also got one of my favourite words spoken in a film.

Where the two Helicopters have hit the cliff and Telly Savalis says " Perverts " just brilliant.

But you can`t beat the Derann 600 and that bits in too.

I`ve been in to LCD projection as I think its very filmie for about 15 years now ( wow !!! ) and I`ve never heard of anyone with a lamp actually blowing up so I think its quite rare. But they do start to dim after 500 or so hours of use so 3000 is pretty good going anyway and you should see a big picture improvement with a new lamp too Paul.

Best Mark.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 30, 2018 05:23 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I quite agree with David's comments.
Last time I was at the Odeon, Bristol, I was shown a lamp crusher. This was used to smash a lamp in an enclosed unit so that it could be then wrapped to put safely in the trash. Otherwise, a lamp might explode whilst being handled by the trash authorities.
I was told they never exceeded a lamp's life. If a lamp explodes in a projector it could cause great damage, plus the loss of one of the screens for some time.

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 30, 2018 05:46 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice is that in an encolosed air tight crusher then with the Mercury ? in them, as once in your system much like asbestos its there to stay.

That was a thing with the once touted low energy lamps with it in, now obsoltete with LEDs rise thankfully. They give off mercry when they break/smash. You need to get out of the way for half an hour and get it all up with a damp cloth etc.

Best Mark.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2018 06:38 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
If the PJ is telling you it’s time to replace the lamp then I’d suggest you do so.
Over the past decade I’ve had a couple explode on the various DLP PJs I’ve owned and mostly because I’ve been pushing my luck! No permanent damage was caused but it did entail a thorough cleaning of the machine to get rid of stray tiny glass particles... that was after I’d climbed down from the ceiling after jumping out of my skin! 😂😂
Save yourself the effort, I’d say it’s not worth the trouble just for a few more lamp hours and I’ve never had one go for much longer than the lamp manufacturers suggested lifespan.
Best.
Rick

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2018 09:05 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One evening one of our 3 KW Xenon lamps in Screen 6 projector just exploded randomly with no warning whatever. It was well within its lamp life warranty time. The explosion not only left dangerous shards of glass all over the arc housing but also shattered the glass reflector mirror. To top it all we found shards of glass impaled into the inside of the metal Kinoton arc housing.

The explosion was heard downstairs in the cinema café bar.

I kid ye not !

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 30, 2018 10:41 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well thank's for the advice Guys. I guess it's really not worth the risk, but I have to wonder how much longer it would run because it is working great and still has more than adequate light, even on the eco setting level. The thing is, the internal warning is based on always running the lamp at the normal setting, and presumably the lamp would last much longer if it has always been run at the eco setting.
Do you need any kind of facial protection when removing the lamp, and what is the correct way to dispose of the lamp?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 30, 2018 11:36 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago when we first had a xenon lamp with our 35mm tower setup for Classic cinemas we were issued with a huge
wall-poster, a helmet, goggles, a large full-length apron and hefty gloves.
A xenon lamp is very unpredictable and can explode at any time without warning.

--------------------
Maurice

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2018 12:06 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice we too had to wear that safety gear the same as you.

It was a harsh penalty if you were caught changing a Xenon lamp with out wearing it.

You were punished in a serious breach of Health and Safety regulations.

It could mean a written warning for a first breach. Instant dismissal for a second.

The Kevlar apron we wore was claimed to be bullet proof.

Those Xenons are in effect small bombs.

I have never quite understood how they could be sold to the public domestic market machines. As you do need proper training and the wearing of safety clothing to change and handle one.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 30, 2018 12:33 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking apples and oranges here, I mean are the lamps used in home digital projectors at the same level of danger as those used in the professional cinema? There is no mention of wearing protective gear in the lamp changing section of my Panasonic projector manual.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 30, 2018 01:23 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

I guess its a high pressure lamp..might be wrong.. if so it might be best to wear some protective wear for your eyes and face just in case.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 30, 2018 02:30 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul if its off, and cool don`t worry about it.

You only handle the lamp housing anyway.

Best wishes Mark.

If your feeling alittle cheap !!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-PANASONIC-ET-LAE4000-LAMP-FOR-PTAE4000-PTAE4000E-PTAE4000U-2LS/282807006652?epid=96995975&hash=item41d89c75bc:g:9fwAAOSw4HNaWPCD

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 30, 2018 02:53 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark, but I think I'll pass on that one! [Big Grin]
The new Panasonic lamps for the PT-AE4000 are very expensive at $375.00, so whenever the question of lamp replacement comes up you first ask yourself if its worth it. After all you can buy a new projector for that price. I only had to think for a few minutes to come up with an emphatic yes, it certainly is worth it, because an equivalent projector to the Panasonic PT-AE4000, with its programmable lens memory system, very high contrast, and elaborate color options, cannot be had for less than $2K.
Now there are plenty of lamps out there at a fraction of the genuine Panasonic OEM lamp, but I would not trust any of them. Many are rebuilt lamps from dubious Chinese sources, which by all accounts on the internet, will be much less bright than the genuine Panny lamps, and will certainly fail quickly.
So a new lamp is on the way, and I am assured my projector will look like new! [Smile]
Can't really complain anyway. $375.00 over a 6 year period is 17 cents a day, not bad for fabulous entertainment. Maybe a change jar in the screening room might not be a bad idea though to help pay for the next one.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 30, 2018 03:52 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you did the right thing Paul, and worth every penny.

I think I will watch Oliver Twist 1948 on my sons NEC LCD WXGA projector tonight.

It looks so good its crackers !!!

Best Mark.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 30, 2018 07:07 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a real eye opener on digital projector lamps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-4hp5CVbnI

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 31, 2018 02:22 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding disposal of cinema xenon lamps, here is a link to a West Country cinema chain, Scott Cinemas, who describe how they dispose of their lamps.
https://bristol.scottcinemas.co.uk/waste-and-resource-management

--------------------
Maurice

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2018 06:15 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul your comment about " money in the jar " in the screening room to help contribute to the cost of a new projector lamp reminded me of some thing.

When I first started collecting films as a young lad I would charge local kids for a show in my then home cinema ( my bedroom ) at that time.

The small sum of money went towards the lamp replacement costs or the cost of the film hire.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 01, 2018 10:33 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have the new lamp installed, without getting blown up! [Big Grin]
A little more involved than changing an 8mm projector lamp, but certainly not difficult, took about 15 minutes. My lamp also came with a new air filter assembly.
Two immediate impressions about this little exercise. First the lamp assembly itself is very impressive, and you can see why they cost so much. Second, a new lamp returns the projector to its original superb picture brilliance and quality.

-

I must say though, that the condition of the old lamp, with over 3,000 hrs on it, looks excellent and almost like new. I think I will hold onto it as a spare. I would not be at all surprised if it would run for another 1,000 hrs.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC