8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » No returns policy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No returns policy?
Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2018 05:20 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As usual I trawl through projectors for sale on Ebay, and I'm rather put off when potential sellers specify a 'no returns' policy, so I looked up Ebay's comments on this.
They first advise sellers that 'Buyers are more comfortable shopping with sellers who accept returns...'
They go on to say; 'We require all sellers on ebay to specify a returns policy, whether the policy is to accept returns or not. If you don't specify a returns policy, ebay will select a default returns policy for you.'
Furthermore, they suggest that if you consider the item does not conform with the advert it should be returnable anyway.
I'm not really familiar with legal terms but this rather flies in the face of those sellers who specify 'no returns', and makes one wonder why the specification is included in the first place?

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2018 06:28 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The statement 'Returns not accepted', has no value , so I don't know why Ebay allow that choice in the first place. Ebay will always support the buyer if he chooses to return an item.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 08, 2018 10:23 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Robert. When I've received something that was not as described from a seller that stated "no returns", eBay sends a message to that seller suggesting they take it back. It has always worked for me.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2018 10:59 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also something we have in the UK called the Distance Selling Regulations which should protect you if something is not as described. You should also be able to receive your return postage back, but this doesn't seem to happening with Ebay in the UK.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2018 03:17 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, I guess that applies to all countries in Europe.

--------------------
Maurizio

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 09, 2018 11:05 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was supposed to get back return shipping back to me on a film I had to send back to the U.K. and ebay did in fact say that I was supposed to get it back from seller or ebay itself; but I never did.

I have to say that, as a general rule, Ebay has been pretty fair with me concerning folks who attempt returns. The best defense against unwarranted returns is to completely describe in detail you're item and whenver possible, with screenshots, as it does make it much harder for those ummm, "folks" (I'm putting that nicely), who treat ebay like it's a "library" rather than a place to actually buy something that you really actually want.

Fortunately, those "folks" aren't too common. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2018 09:33 AM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good seller would accept any return - for any reason .

AND refund ALL monies paid , including return shipping .

No matter WHAT country you bought it from .

GOOD PR is always better than BAD money !

--------------------
Dave

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 10, 2018 11:56 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree just slightly, David.

I personally expect the buyer, if the auction is clearly stated in the text and especially, if it has screenshots showing the very condition of the print, to know what they are bidding on.

As stated earlier ... fortunately, there are very few people who treat ebay like they're personal "library" or, after they have watched it once through, (and have now put extra wear on the print) to then get a case of "buyers remorse".

There was one time that I had forgotten about ...

early on when I got back into collecting, i sold an L.P.P., in perfect shape print of a rare cartoon. The seller bought it, and apprantly watched in oence and then demanded back they're money.

At the time, I was more than happy to give them back they're money, but when I got the print back, it had a BIG GREEN LINE that zig-zagged all over the screen and made the print good for nothing more than chucking it in the bin in disgust! it certainly wasn't that way when I sold it! [Frown]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC