8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The GS1200 Xenon Louver!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The GS1200 Xenon Louver!
Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2019 11:27 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put this part on my own GS1200. And boy does it look and work good! This part fits the xenon models! Fits on the front covers. What it does is let's less light escape from the outside and keeps more in the inside! Now my films have more light! Wow! And it looks good on the GS1200. The part is called the Louver! I mounted mine by using super glue or crazy glue! Works just fine! It gives a permanent Bond. Now when I look up at the ceiling there's very little light! Less light out. And more light in!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 17, 2019 02:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Leon, I'm sure that works as great as you say. The GS1200 really does spill a ton of light out of that top blower vent, it lights up the ceiling in my room and really washes out the picture on the screen. I usually stick a piece of cardboard underneath the handle when projecting, which helps quite a bit, but your special louver sounds a much more elegant solution. Are they available for purchase?
Your films look brighter because you have eliminated light scatter from the ceiling and walls back onto the screen, thus greatly improving contrast. But 'bottleing up the light' will not push more light out through the lens [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2019 05:29 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where’s the picture or a link? Or is it like the emperors new cloths? 😂

I’m not convinced the physics add up on this one though! So let’s get scientific...
what’s the screen readings without and with this device?

Cheers

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2019 12:56 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky, you don't need to be a rocket scientists to think this out? Why do you think Elmo put this part on the GS1200 Xenon model! Answer is for light! Using this part. Gives you more light inside and less outside! If you find this part then try it out!

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2019 05:39 PM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Leon,
An explanation as to the science behind this device would have been useful and an image of this Louvre would have been even better still.
Thanks.
Rick

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 19, 2019 11:09 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a pic of the Xenon.
https://www.filmkorn.org/super8data/database/projectors_list/projectors_elmo/projectors_elmo.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2019 11:16 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, That's how mine looks with the louver on it! I plan on taking some pictures of my machine! I will post them soon! Thanks!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 19, 2019 04:15 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like a piece of bent sheet metal in Van Eck's picture. Not the kind of precision machined part that I would have expected from Elmo. It also looks like it is blocking a lot of the air flow out from the top vent, which would certainly raise internal temperatures very significantly. Can't believe Elmo did this!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2019 04:24 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Louver is made of hard plastic! On the picture it looks metal? I fixed plenty of GS1200s xenon. And they are all hard black plastic! Paul when I get a chance I will see if I have any left! I think Elmo only gave me two!

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2019 05:09 PM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup! I have.a GS1200 Xenon Thanks, and now understand what’s being referred to as the GS Xenon Louvre!
But I still don’t believe it increases light on the screen is all! Where’s the science behind that theory? My reflector does that, focusing light on the gate... the rest is scattered!
But thankfully my two bladed shutter does increase the screen brightness! (Thanks to Mr E)

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2019 05:48 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try this test ! Just put your whole open hand over the top of the lamp housing! This will keep the light from scattering ! And staying inside! Do that while looking at screen! You should see a difference. And when you mount the Louver you mount it at your way. As your looking at the screen!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC