8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Bill Davison is heading to Blackpool

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bill Davison is heading to Blackpool
Guy Badger
Junior

- posted November 07, 2019 05:27 PM      Profile for Guy Badger   Email Guy Badger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

I'll be driving to Blackpool on the 17th with a film collecting legend - Bill Davison.

Many of you will know Bill from Movie Maker's Bootlace Cinema column but Bill was also one of the founders of the first Blackpool events for film collectors in the late 1970s before Derek Simmonds & Derann took over the organising duties.

Bill has said he would be happy to take part in a short Q&A if there is interest. I'm not sure who is planning events on the day but if it's you - or you can let me know who it is - then send me a private message I can put you in touch with Bill to sort something out.

I know this is short notice so it's not a problem if it's too late to do something but Bill will be around most of the day and I'm sure he'll be happy to chat about the good old days.

See you in Blackpool!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 07, 2019 06:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Bill Davison's Bootlace Cinema column very well. It was always the first article that I would read every month in Movie Maker. Those sure were exciting times, when all the major Hollywood studios were starting to release digests of their most popular film titles to the super 8 sound market. A couple of questions for Bill: "Are you still a film collector" and " Was Dennys Davis as rude in person as he was in print?"

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 07, 2019 07:52 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's amazing news, although unfortunately with the event only 9 days away, I expect the programme will be finalised, and possibly printed, so scheduling a Q&A could be a challenge, much as I'd love to see it happen.

If Bill isn't in a rush to get away, I think the best bet could be to hold it in the cinema after the final show, when dealers are packing up. I doubt whether anyone would object to this, if feasible, and it could be announced earlier in the day.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 08, 2019 08:33 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a "q" for Bill, will you have any 8mm to sell? - Cheers, Shorty

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 08, 2019 09:30 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if Bill got to keep all those fabulous films he reviewed for Movie Maker

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2019 09:39 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend and I used to attend those early Blackpool conventions when Eumig projectors and Harry Garlick's Craven amplifier and speakers were utilised for the shows. We shared a breakfast table with Bill Davison at the very first event. We will be there next week.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2019 10:06 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mal,

See you there.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 08, 2019 10:08 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We shared a breakfast table with Bill Davison at the very first event. We will be there next week.

Definitely a photo op for somebody to please get a pic of Mal and Bill together.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 19, 2019 06:15 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a picture of Bill

-

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC