8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » My new Specto

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My new Specto
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2009 01:58 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really know anyone on the forum here but I am so excited today i needed to share/vent. About 6 months ago I purchased a specto 500 on ebay france. It was advertised as an 8mm, but I looked at the fotos and noticed it looked like a 9.5. so acting on a hunch I bid. I should say that I already have one but i have been having endless "ghosting" issues with it, so I have been looking for another one to save the "ghosting" one for a backup.

I won the auction for the opening bid of 9 euros and was super excited until the seller told me it would cost 175 euros to ship. I tried to bargain with him to no avail until I noticed that the listing stated shipping within france was 10 euros. I had it shipped to a friend in france and then had him ship it to me for a much better cost of around 50 euros. The total being around 70 euros.

After a quick examination, and some serious cleaning of what looked like years of dust I did a quick tune up and lube and went to turn it on. I plugged it in to my trusty voltage converter that I use on my other Specto and.. BOOM! FIRE!. It blew the fuse on the converter and shot a spring out that burned a small hole in my desktop....."What the F...?" I looked it over again and then thought I'd try it without the converter, and .....voila! It runs on 110....How great! I never even knew they made them in 110.

I ran a quick film and it has a rock steady picture. This weekend I am going to convert it over to a halogen lamp like my other Specto, and then I'll have Specto will travel (since I won't need the heavy converter)...

A couple of other differences I noticed were, being a straight 9.5 model it does not have the extra pressure plate. Also it has all spring belts so essentially none of them should need replacing. The last thing that is different and what should have been my tip off, was there was no tapping plate to adjust the voltage, when I saw this I just assumed it would be 220 or 240.

I have a bunch of 9.5 projectors, but love how kind the Specto is to my old films, and because my other one was a dual model, i modified a split reel so I can keep all of my films on cores, now i finally have the final piece of the puzzle with this new 110 volt Specto.

PS - The case even had the original receipt from 1953.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 24, 2009 09:15 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino, the Specto's are great projectors, so well engineered - I wish I had one for 9.5mm. How about posting a picture of your machine?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2009 09:10 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, yep they are little work horses...I guess i should start with the evidence of my damage. This is from where the resistance popped and burned into the tabletop.

-

and Here is the projector with the bits and bobs that came with it. There were 2 lenses, and even a little original replacement Specto drive belt.

-

Inside here is the modification I do to switch over to halogen. The lamp voltage is already 110 so I just added a socket for a 110v 300w halogen - These are the best lamps, they are just like the ones I use in my Elmo 16mm, only instead of needing the stepdown to 24v, I just keep it as is. I have a few other broken 8mm Specto's I use for parts so I cut the lamp house on one of those so that it is simply a straight panel in front of the lamp. The only mod on the outside is one small drill hole through the housing to mount the lamp socket to the side. With the rest of the inside lamp housing gone, the air flow from the motor fan is increased. From the outside you cannot even tell anything has been changed.

-

I ran a little test against the wall (which is beige and textured) and this is what it looked like. It was during the day and with the kitchen light off to the left still on, so you can see how nice and bright it is.

-

You can see the wall texture pretty clear, but the image is nice and bright and on a proper screen (I was too lazy to break it out for just the testing) it will look great just like my other one, only now without the ghosting and the heavy voltage converter.....I LOVE 9.5mm ! ! ! ! ! ! !! !! ! I have done regular public 9.5mm screenings here in Los Angeles for the past couple of years with my 240v Specto, but hated the ghosting and the heavy converter...I always run a few 9.5mm shorts and then a 16mm feature and it fills the 8-10 foot screen the same size as the 16mm and looks just as good. This new one will make it so much easier..

Now if I could only figure out a relooping mechanism for the specto, my life would be complete.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 25, 2009 05:06 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Job on that Specto Dino, it looks like a really neat lamp conversion - I am envious and will have to see if I can find one in the UK. Yes I love 9.5mm too, there's something really special and magical about it. I think its the joy of seeing really vintage film equipment in action, plus the fact that 9.5mm prints can be every bit as good as 16mm. I have to say that I like hand-cranking my Pathe Baby better than using it with the motor. Now what's that all about? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2009 09:39 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, thanks. I have a couple of baby's a pathe and a pathex (and a third that is entirely in pieces waiting for a full restoration project), but i haven't built either up like yours with the super reels, etc. I really should one of these days, but i am so used to using the specto, and in rare cases my Bolex G3 that I find it hard to go back to the baby. Although I have a whole box full of baby reels that haven't been despooled yet that I could run.

I have a total of 9 running 9.5 projectors and definately have the most fun with those over any other format.
I agree that there is something special about running the old film on the old equipment, and I am a silent film fanatic so 9.5 has provided me a wealth of material that I may not be able to view otherwise.
I look forward to swapping further 9.5 stories with you paul.
Cheers
Dino

--------------------

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2009 08:47 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We still get some Specto 500 every year for repair.
Itīs a very nice projector. We have fan belt still available.

After 40 to 50 years, the gearbox must be cleaned (inside) and regreased.
If you disassemble the bearbox, make sure to mark the gears (tooth to tooth). This will allow you to assemble the gearbox and it will be in perfect working condition.
Sometimes teeths are already marked - remove grease to recognise it - otherwise you might get confused with your marks and the marks somebody had already done in the past.
Itīs quite tricky to reassemble the gearbox without the marks on.
It might take you several hours, or days.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2009 03:57 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josef
Good to know..I will do that soon. Thanks for the tip.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC