8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Our partners and our 8mm collections...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Our partners and our 8mm collections...
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2004 02:03 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having received delivery of another bargain projector courtesy of Ebay, I have been subject to one or two cutting remarks from my ever loving partner with regard to the size of my collection and how it is starting to swamp the house [Frown] .

I have to admit that just recently I have been a little less scrupulous than usual about my efforts to hide everything away in the loft or my designated cine cupboard, as a result several rooms and the bottom of the stairs are showing evidence of my collectors habit [Roll Eyes] .

How do you guys manage to collect films and gear and maintain a happy home? Any hints or advice would be gratefully received [Cool] .

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 11, 2004 02:46 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some Rules:

1) Put your toys away after you're done with them! Nothing gets my wife going more than seeing the screen and projector set up 3 days after the last show.

2) Did you see a film for sale that she would enjoy watching? Grab it up and give it to her! My wife owns about 5 films (including the Derann "Peace on Earth" I gave her for Christmas), and I'm more likely than not to let one of them sneak into the projector if she's in the area.

3) Don't shake the house with your sound tracks while the baby is asleep! (Did this one last week, I doubt my wife would have come down those stairs faster if the house was on fire!)Consider taking these times to appreciate the silent portion of your collection. (...or use that long neglected headphone jack)

4) If all else fails propose yellin', drinkin', cussin' and chewin' tobaccy as alternative hobbies (doesn't work if you already do this.)

In my household it's going pretty well. She very often reads the Derann newsletter and here and there finds something she'd like to buy.

(Aren't there any women in this hobby? It makes me glad I'm already married: what a pathetic way to meet women this would be!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2004 06:10 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got rid of her a long time ago(an amiable split), much more room now for films and equipment.... [Wink]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 11, 2004 06:54 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, You are a man of my own heart. My divorce Absolute comes thorugh in a couple of weeks. I'm now back with my mum and she really enjoys a good film show.
Last weekend we watched "Batteries not included" on my Elmo CL 16 and she enjoyed really enjoyed it. The thing about this was that i got the projector out to check a new Isco zoom lens I had aquired and thought I would check this print out at the same time. Well she sat down made herself comfortable and I had to screen it to the end. Now the other half (bless her cotton socks) never did that in all the 18yrs we were together.
Mike I would say that you should also take some interest in you other halfs hobbies as well and that should help to keep things cool [Cool] or at least show some films that are of interest to both of of you. Kev. [Wink]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 11, 2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5) Don't buy her a projection lamp for Valentine's Day.

6) If you feel like getting romantic during a movie, find something mounted on 600 foot reels at a bare minimum.

--------------------

Colin Preston
Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2004 07:18 PM      Profile for Colin Preston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Steve & Kev have hit two big nails on the head here.
You have to keep the place tidy. We have 6 kids (great for showing films to), so you can imagine our house at the best of times. I just make sure that everything is away by the following evening and I seem to get away with it without too many groans.
The other thing is to draw her in as much as possible. I bought her 'The King and I' for Xmas as this is one of her favourite films.

My wifes main bone of contention is the cost of my little hobby. Like Kev I have a print of Titanic which cost over £600. I am stillm working that debt off, a year and a half later [Wink]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 11, 2004 07:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that having several film shows a year for our friends and family, has got my wife very supportive of the hobby. She looks forward to the social aspect and special occasion of a film party evening, and her involvment of planning the snacks and sending out invitations. I have manged to keep her pretty well in the dark about the true cost of the hobby, except to note that " film is quite a bit more expensive than video"! She knows how much interest and enjoyment I get from the hobby ( hours spent cleaning and maintaining projectors, cleaning films etc), so I suspect that even if she knew the true cost, she would still encourage my participation. Bottom line is, when that Cinemascope feature hits the big screen in front of a roomful of friends, it's all worth it.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 11, 2004 08:26 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
7) Just because your mother-in-law calls your mint condition Elmo GS-1200 a "VCR", you have no right to call her an idiot in front of your wife. (however, the moment she's out of the room.......)

8) Telling your wife that your film collection is an investment is a lie if you know deep down that you have every intention of being buried with it.

Having kids rules! Since our son came along I have had the greatest possible excuse to buy cartoons!

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2004 01:10 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am blessed. My wife fully supports a clean, unoffensive hobby (versus collecting PLAYBOY/PENTHOUSE back issues and trying to convince her they're priceless "collectors items" - after we wed I don't have to tell you where most of them wound up). She doesn't understand why I'd rather deal with reel changes and the "chatter" of a projector versus just putting a DVD in a player and watching the movie without noise or interruption, but it is something my daughter can enjoy with Daddy ("Wizard Of OZ" was last nights viewing pleasure).

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2004 02:15 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhem,

Divide everything by a factor of 10 (Titanic for £60- great value)
Don't keep super8 film lists in the house
Ensure a screen saver kicks in when you are not on the PC
Have big parcels directed to your work address
Spread it around (esp dark corners) and
Mix them in with the videos
Do the ironing once a year whilst watching a film (only if things are really bad....)
Ensure Derann debit your web based credit card
Keep one of the projectors in the boot of your car
Pick up all Foster Films receipts that have fallen from your pocket and BURN.
Always been in a conference call when at a late night Clancy cine convention

Tony [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2004 02:38 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These wives should appreciate that their husband has a hobby and be supportive. If they don't understand you then you're probably with the wrong woman - find another one. There's plenty around and you'll have fun trying them out for size.

My wifey has plenty of hobbies herself and whilst not quite as interested in real film as myself still enjoys the hobby. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2004 04:22 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As is often the case,my better half enjoys the outdoors whilst I have a distinct fondness for the indoors.She isn't interested in films and projectors but does enjoy film buff meetings-for the social side.J always give her a big box of 400fters to sell-that means she comes home richer as well as wiser!

--------------------
Trevor

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2004 10:35 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend and I frequently screen prints together. I think I would rather be single than be involved with somoene who didn't like film. I've got 4 screening areas in my house (yes, I'm a bit crazy) and I can't imagine being able to deal with someone who didn't like films...

In case anyone is interested, here are the setups:

-- A 13ft wide screen in my family room with permanently set up Elmo 16-CL Xenons and a DLP video projector
-- A 12 ft SCOPE screen in the basement with an Eiki SSL-0.
-- A 6ft stand screen set up in my "film library", with a Kodak Pageant and an ELMO ST-1200 (not that I have much super 8 film left).
-- A 6ft Electric wall screen in my bedroom with an Elmo 16-CL (halogen) . I'm also thinking of adding another DLP projector upstairs .

Henry Perangelo
Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2004 01:03 PM      Profile for Henry Perangelo   Email Henry Perangelo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like Herman & Grandpa (of Munster's fame), the basement is mine!!!

I have 8mm, 16mm & 35mm permanent setups complete with sound system, editing table, and film storage.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 12, 2004 01:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
9) Remember, if she says she'd like to "See a movie this weekend" the odds are against it being one of yours.

10) Spending 12 hours fixing your sixth spare projector is just not good marital politics when you have a leaky pipe patched with duct tape and hose clamps dripping under the kitchen sink.

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2004 01:42 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very lucky...my wonderful wife loves my hobby.... We even capped off our honeymoon 12 years ago with the Columbus Cinevent. When I see something I'd like to buy and I hestitate because of the cost , she says "go for it"!! She goes to conventions with me and buys films and other film things for me as xmas and birthday presents. When we bought our present house 5 years ago, we looked at dozens and rejected many because they didn't have a suitable place for a screening room. I'd say I've got the best of situations.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 12, 2004 05:09 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, What more can I say except you "lucky man". Cherrish her she's one in a million. [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 12, 2004 06:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
11) Filming your wife yelling at you and substituting it for the MGM Lion is not funny!

12) Well, It's only funny if your wife, her relatives and all of her friends never see it.

13) It would be hysterical if it was my wife.

14) Please don't tell her.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC