8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Last Train from Gun Hill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Last Train from Gun Hill
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 30, 2006 08:43 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Train from Gunhill , 1958
Color, 100 mins, 2000 ft
Viacom

-

There are quite a few Westerns available on Super 8, and Last Train From Gunhill is one of the best. Kirk Douglas stars as Matt Morgan the courageous marshal determined to bring to justice the two men who raped and murdered his beautiful half- breed Indian wife. One of the guilty men turns out to be the son of Cole Belden (Anthony Quinn) who is a life –time friend of Morgan’s. Belden has made it to the top as a cattle rancher, and he owns the town of Gunhill and everything and everybody in it. Thus the conflict is set up between Morgan and Belden, as Morgan tries to arrest Belden’s son for murder, and Belden is torn between his friendship for Morgan and his instinct to save his son. Earl Holliman gives a persuasive portrayal of the cowardly rapist , and Brad Dexter is good as Belden’s chief ranch hand. Kirk Douglas is terrific as the good guy, but the stand out performance is by Quinn who steals every scene as the intensely ruthless Belden.
A very taught and different kind of Western, which all builds up towards the final showdown, timed for the last train leaving Gunhill.
The S8 print was distributed by Viacom, who turned out some astonishingly good S8 prints of many films, notably the Elvis Presley features. My particular print, which I got off eBay is very sharp indeed, but the color is somewhat faded. Still it is very enjoyable, and my audience thought it looked fine and enjoyed the movie very much. I can only imagine how stunning the print must have been when new.

Print A
Sound A

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2006 07:13 AM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this print when it was new and it was as good as it gets for Super 8, as were all the Viacom titles of this era. I always felt this film, while set in the west, was more of a suspense film than a true western, so even if you're not a true western fan this title is highly recommended.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 31, 2006 07:22 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Paul is on a reviewing spree! Doug has some serious work to do to update the index [Wink]
Thanks for another great article.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 31, 2006 04:51 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review, Paul! I picked up a very good print of this on super eight from Julie Geisler. After watching it my wife(Jerrye) and I dicussed the same perspective as in your review. [Cool]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 19, 2015 03:19 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Additional Posts regarding this film can be found here.

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC