8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Last Train from Gun Hill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Last Train from Gun Hill
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 13, 2015 03:21 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a film i was particularly keen to watch tonight but have to say it is actually one of best westerns i have seen in a long time.
Storyline, (thanks to a little help from Wikipedia),
Two old friends, Matt Morgan (Kirk Douglas) and Craig Belden (Anthony Quinn), now find themselves on opposite sides of the law. Belden is the de facto ruler of the town of Gun Hill, a rich cattle baron. Morgan is a U.S. marshal living in another town with his Native American wife (played by Ziva Rodann) and young son, Petey.
Two young drunken cowboys rape and murder Morgan's wife while she is returning with their son from a visit to her father. The boy escapes on one of the killers' horses, bearing a distinctive, fancy saddle.
Morgan sets off to find the killer. His one clue is the saddle, which he recognizes as belonging to Belden. Assuming it was stolen from his old friend, Morgan travels to Gun Hill to pick up the trail, but once there he quickly realizes that Belden's son Rick (Earl Holliman) is the killer.
Belden refuses to turn over his son, forcing Morgan to go against the entire town. He vows to capture Rick and get him on that night's last train from Gun Hill.
Morgan takes Rick prisoner, holding him at the hotel. Belden sends men to rescue his son, but Morgan manages to hold them off. In the meantime, Belden's former lover (Jones) decides to help Morgan. She sneaks a shotgun to his hotel room. The second rapist, Lee, sets fire to the hotel to flush out Morgan.
Morgan presses the shotgun to Rick's chin on the way to the train depot, threatening to pull the trigger if anyone attempts to stop him. Lee tries to kill Morgan but shoots Rick instead. Morgan then kills Lee with the shotgun. As the train prepares to leave, a devastated Belden confronts Morgan in a final showdown and is gunned down.

This was released in the cinema circuit by Paramount, hopefully someone can enlighten me as to who released this feature film on Super 8, originally on 5 x 400 foot spools and in full screen colour sound. The sound is excellent although we do have two short drop-outs on our copy.
I was expecting the colour to have gone by now as some screenshots we have seen from other copies are literally red. We were pleasantly surprised to see only light colour fade, the images i have here dont do it justice as the blacks are still black, in fact its a bit odd, it appears that the day time scenes on reel 2 have faded the most with all indoor and dark scenes still being excellent. We did purchased this print many years ago for something Scilly, around £30 due to some scratching but there's no tram lines here and after a good clean its actually come up pretty good, its the first time i have watched this and its defiantly got a lot of repeatability, not your run of mill western with cowboys and Indians it does have a very good storyline and two top leading actors.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Well recommended even if your not a western fan.
[Wink]

[ March 16, 2019, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

|  IP: Logged

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2015 03:41 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great western indeed. Your print is less faded than mine. Super 8 print was released by Viacom both as a full length feature and as a 400 foot digest.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2015 03:48 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the 400 and the full feature. The 400 had colour fade but the print of the full feature had nearly perfect colour. Whether they originated from different sources I am not sure.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 13, 2015 03:49 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Alexander, i thought it may have been Viacom,its a shame there fading,even with ours we know its just a matter of time.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2015 04:09 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,

I watched my copy a few weeks ago and it's a great film - quite moody and adult for the time of its original release - but an excellent cast and Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn are excellently matched - my print has slight fade but it's a cracking watch.

David

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2015 06:30 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The feature , as I remember, was also offered by Niles films and others in the USA. I saw a part of a print back in the late 70's that came from Niles. It was very good. I'm not sure, but I thought Red Fox might have offered it as well.

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2015 04:22 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great film,

exciting - taut storyline that builds up to an exciting crescendo..

Have to say Tom your screen shots..appear to give the impression, in my eyes anyway...of it being almost totally red. I never could watch red prints...unless the were b/w prints on colour stock...then I would use a filter. Good film though. [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2015 10:50 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If title was released from different sources that might explain why some prints have retained colour better than others

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 15, 2015 11:34 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A really superb Western, right up there with the best. I have both the Ken 400ft digest and the Viacom feature, The digest still has superb color with deep saturation and is a very sharp print. My Viacom feature print looks like Tom's screen shots- almost totally red. This too is an extremely sharp print and when you watch it you can only imagine how stunning it must have looked when it was first released on super 8mm, and can only weep that it was not releasd on low fade stock.
By the way, when was this first released as a super 8 feature?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 15, 2015 01:48 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it is odd how in these pictures came out,what you cant see here is how goodthe indoor and night time scenes do actually look, on here they appear faded but they do still have good saturated colours,its the daylight scenes which are worse, its very odd but good news for us

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2015 03:33 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only got the 400ft digest of this one. Faded a little but the sound is the worst thing and very 'telephony'. Great film though, was originally VISTAVISION and wouldn't a 16mm print be great. One of the best westerns and second only to High Noon in my opinion.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2015 06:14 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen this but now I'll be on the look out for when TCM shows it.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 28, 2015 02:52 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph, it is a really good film & two great actors.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC