8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Lone Wolf McQuade! (optical sound)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lone Wolf McQuade! (optical sound)
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 25, 2006 05:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just recently contacted about this print/movie, and I realized that I never did a review of it. Therefore ....

LONE WOLF MCQUADE

Film opens with a delightful montage of a lone wolf running (don't figure) behind titles and some Sergio Leone/ennio Morricone inspired music to emphasize the "man with little name" mystigue of McQuade, who watches a police bust-up operation from above a canyon. You see, McQuade happens to be a Texas Ranger, (and yes, in case anybody is wondering, this was the inspiration for the hit TV show, "Walker, Texas Ranger")

The bust goes bust, and McQuade (Norris) must come to the rescue, blowing up some cars before handily gunning down the bad guys with some humor.

"You know something Texas Ranger? A texas Ranger kicked out my fathers teeth. You gonna do that to me Texas Ran-"

Norris kicks out his teeth, dragging him away.

"Hey, let me go, you already kicked my teeth out!!"

"Pick up your teeth!" (growls Norris)

McQuade has been getting bad press from modern liberal media and they want him toned down, so they saddle him with a young rookie.

Norris is now sent out to find out who's been bringing in illegal weapons, (enter main antagonist David Carridine, of "Kung Fu" fame, in a very good bad guy role).

Norris goes after a known drug dealer/snitch (William Sanderson, of the "Newhart show" fame!) He takes the snitch to the house of an ex-Texas Ranger, (The ever reliable L.Q. Jones) for a little one on one interrogation.

While getting bad guys, McQuade at first un-willingly starts to fall in love with the partner of none other but the bad guy, (the ever passionatte awesome Barbera Carerra, GROWL!)
who makes the major mistake of throwing out his beer when cleaning the house. BAD MOVE.

The bad guys strike back by going after McQuade's daughter.
2nd Bad Move!!

Meanwhile, the DEA sends out thier men after the bad guys, (who's leader has a major corn-cob up his ass) and they decide on a sting operation, which goies incredibly wrong. Everybody gets shot, and McQuade actually gets caught and BURIED in his off road vehicle with a bulldozer.

... and now, in one of the films big moments, McQuade, bloody and beaten, pops a beer in his buried truck, shifts his off road truck into the turbo's, pours the beer on his head, and slams it into gear.

The truck comes bursting out of the ground. McQuade blows away another bad guy or two and, the job done, slumps done by the side of his truck, drinking down another cool one.

FRICKIN AWESOME!!

With his girlfriend gone, badly beaten, his daughter hurt. McQuade has had enough with doing things "by the book", McQuade now goes old school. After all, the bad guys think that McQuade is done for.

McQuade, with his still surviving partner, (amazing, usually the partner is killed off by now.) go back after the bad guys, killing most of them, all but David Carradine.

... and now comes the great showdown between Norris and Carradine, a very well choreographed fight scene and, of course, Norris wins!

This was always one of my favorite Norris film. While he made a number of action film clinkers, this wasn't one of them, and I was so happy to find it on optical sound super 8.

Sound: very good loud booming mono, a great soundtrack.

contrast: excellent, no wash-out and no dark scenes where you can't see anything.

sharpness: Very good, but not quite "Derann" level of sharpness, but definitely very good, mostly due to film negative.

color: great saturation, but beware when buying this print, as this was one of the last run of Eastman prints, and while mine still looks very good, be careful and know the color of the print before you buy.

An excellent action flick that's sure to please!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2006 07:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again Osi you've come up trumps with another great review.
The print i won on ebay has a little colour fade,but your review
has now got me looking forward to seeing it after all those years.
A brillant review,and thank you again OSI..excellent.Andy.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2006 03:50 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone.Ineed your advice again.The above film is barely audible thru my gs1200.There's a large amount of hum.If the exciter lamp etc need cleaned what would you clean it with?.Please advise..
This is the first optical feature i have bought..probly the last if that is the sound it offers.Andy.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2006 08:05 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi, for the review!

Although I have never collected optical sound prints, this is one that I would buy if I did.

I was actually working in my neighborhood cinema when this movie was released in the early 80's. I watched it dozens of times. It had its share of cheese, as all Chuck Norris movies do, but I actually grew rather fond of this movie after watching it numerous times.

I do consider it to be one of Chuck's best. Also good support from Leon Isaac Kennedy.

I mostly remember that beautiful music, like someone whistling or something. It was sad when his dog was killed.

Nick.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 30, 2006 09:17 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....when his dog was.......killed?

One less plot point to worry about! [Big Grin]

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 30, 2006 10:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right!
The bastards (umm ... bad guys) blow away his dog. Yes, he carries away his dog, silently, alone. It is touching. They hurt his daughter, but damn the B""""""" who would kill his dog!!!

From what I've heard from other GS1200 owners, this is NOT a common sound coming from your optical sound Andrew. I have run this film countless times and it has never had a hum to it. There is a possibility that the print COULD have a hum to the sound, but since this sound is printed right onto the film, it is doubtful that the sound itself is faulty.

Good luck on getting that fixed. I'm sure that you are at least impressed with the image and colour?

--------------------

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2006 07:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know what the hum is like..something on the machine isn't earthed,or its not making good contact.Andy.
p.s good print otherwise.
His dog,i thought it was a wolf.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 03, 2006 04:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay Mr. Technical, a wolf. He's still shot dead.

--------------------

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2006 04:57 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Horray,now sorted.Andy.

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2012 05:57 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 24, 2012 07:40 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Of interest to any music lovers, the film score was done by the
Italian composer Francesco de Masi, whose work included the
westerns "the Dirty Story of the West" and "Arizona Colt" among
others, the whistling was provided by Allessandro Allessandroni
whose fame is well known as the whistler on the Spaghetti's
especially the "Dollar" westerns,as well as playing guitar and is
also known for forming the "Cantori Moderni" that formed part
of the musical accompliment in the Italian westerns.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 24, 2012 01:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! It certainly had a "Spaghetti Western" feel to it, which I loved. That print has a little fade to it. Fortunately my print has aged very well. I always felt that this was Norris' best feature film.

By the way, I thought it was totally awesome that good ole Chuck Norris is back on the big screen in the "Expendables 2"!

Way to go Chuck!

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2012 02:54 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Lars- Thanks for those pictures. It looks like a very nice print, with sharp picture and great contrast, and still some colors left.

I agree with you Osi, this is one of my favorite Chuck Norris movies. I remember he had done some really bad ones in the late 70's (Good Guys Wear Black, etc. [Roll Eyes] ). I was working at a movie theater in the early 80's here in D.C., and we got this movie first-run, and I was thinking, "Oh no, another dumb Norris flick". Well, I was pleasantly surprised by this one.

And Hugh- thanks for the info on the music score. That great score gave this movie extra-class, and that theme song with the whistling STILL goes around in my head to this day. A great soundtrack.

PS- I love the opening credits with the music and images of the dog running around in the mountains. Classic stuff.

James.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 24, 2012 03:01 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oz

I had a LPP 16mm print of that film. It was gorgeous. When I got out of 16mm I sold it on EBay to a collector in Moscow of all places. It cost over 90.00 to ship it. He was thrilled that I agreed to ship it too him.

I had no idea it was available on super 8. That is my "Grizzly Adams" film. I had the pleasure of meeting Chuck Norris many years ago when I fought in a karate tournament. This was before he got into films. A great guy to talk to.

Expendables 2 has Chuck in a couple of great scenes and funny lines. He loks great fo 72!

PatD

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 24, 2012 05:12 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Pat,I too practised Karate,what was the style you were
taught, mine was Wado Ryu ( pronounced roo)

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 25, 2012 06:23 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tae Kwon Do my sensei was He Il Cho. He is now in California where he has a huge Dojo. He is well know in the arts and has many students. I did a google on him a while back.

Pat

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 25, 2012 07:55 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat,mine was Doug James,his Dan is in double figures, and as far as I know he still does the classes throughout Cumbria.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 26, 2012 09:13 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chuck Norris is one in a million. For an "action hero" Chuck is quite different. In general, a humble man and not over-awed by his success.

I just pulled out my print of this and while (unfortunately) the first few feet have gotten a little ugly looking, the pint overall is aging as well as Chuck.

OK, after I watch "Escape From Alkatraz" (Eastwood) tonight, I will watch another action hero, Chuck, tomorrow!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC