8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Future Super 8`s. ??? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Future Super 8`s. ???
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 11:12 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi well how about it. I`ve mentioned it in other posts here today lets as a group go to both Derann and CHC and ask them to each release a decent extract for us.400 or 600 each I`d say a top drawer 400 each.
Lets see what we can get and do and then at least 30-50 of us pay £25 down to each company towards the releases and pay the balance on the film when done or not if we decide we don`t want it but £25 is for them come what may.
We put that £25 whatever happens, its our contribution to the scheme and we will be kindly given that as credit off the release when it comes out with maybe free postage say???
We take some of the strain, put in some of the effort and we take part of the risk and put that support in where the hobby needs it.
I`m personally prepared to put in £25 to each company whatever and I`m even harder up than poor Osi even , my entire collection of a few super 8 and a few 16mm trailers and one S8 T+Jerry is worth less than Osi`s latest feature so come on lets do it. If I can you can.
Its surely time we put some money where our hobby is and hec we could even have the 8mm forum mentioned on the packaging.
So lets get 2 extracts sorted and sussed out send our £25`s and see what we can jolly well do.
Some of us may not go ahead with buying the film or films, some maybe they won`t be quite their thing but still will buy to put in full support not just the £25 and hopefully most of us will go for both whatever and get the most out of a super hobby and this forum stands up for what we love. Super 8.
Best Mark.
So I`d like to pledge here my 2 x £25`s right here and now, anyone else??

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 12:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a good plan, but i have to see what is to be released first.

"Crimson Pirate Insurance" would be an awesome release. I have no problem putting down a little, (and Derann, for instance, allows for that), as long as I know that they have secured the rights to a negative and are ready for the lab!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 01:14 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi thats my point we don`t need to see whats being released as if we go along that route we`ll end up with loads of idea`s and 2 people per film idea or something.
Lets put forward a couple of extract ideas we can get, people sign up for the £25 release bond each whatever and hopefully give them a go to view/buy as well.
If its something good like say the last 20 mins of saving private ryan anyone can find an audience for that.
Lets face it its going to have to be fairly modern unless a real classic loads of people want and that would be hard.
But if we go down the well what will it be fence sitting route we`ll get nowhere.
Action is whats needed or in the new year onwards I can see the big two saying sodd it, no-one else seems bothered supporting us or whatever.
It looks like there won`t be any more trailers released from either camp as people give them little support which is a real shame.
Come on lets see what we could do on super, whittle it down to 2 best allround titles and go for it. If we`re not prepared to put £50 in and bit of faith and support at least the once then what???
Best Mark.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2007 01:15 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark I'm up for it, but as Osi said, which title? This is where the "well I want that and I wouldn't buy that" argument comes in. That's why I put a "choice list" at the top of the original CHC post.
I think "Private Ryan" is going to be one of the favorites.
Which two would you choose Mark?

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 01:23 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Keith I think that would be a good one of the two too moot and have, and maybe another allround good audience friendly title.
But my point is I am prepared to put my money up even if its 2 that I don`t particularly like or maybe wouldn`t even buy or maybe couldn`t afford to at the time as very skint usally, but I`ll find the £50 even if I have to sell a few items ( fancy some trailers !!!!!)and I will try to buy them both as well.
I think we as a hobby group owe a bit of upfront support to the two main camps right now, or there will be a crunch point coming before long believe you me.
And we can market them as well to our contacts, push them etc.
Sell some of our second hand films even to buy those to help get new living product in to the hobby in decent numbers.
Best Mark.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2007 01:35 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark. Your sentiments and passion are admirable. However I don't think that people in general will be willing to put up money for something they may not want just to "bolster" the hobby. I'm sure that we all have monetary restraints and therefore would want to "see something for the money" other than that "golden glow" that comes by parting with money, for titles you may not want, just to keep the hobby alive.
At the end of the day we all want what's best for the hobby, but I don't think a "Charity Fund" is going to be the answer. If collectors part with their hard earned cash then they will want something "tangible" at the end of it. If the release was "Watching Paint Dry" in Scope and Stereo, would you still part with the money? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 01:49 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Keith thats why we need to come up with 2 spot on releases that could find a good home anywhere. Hopefully many of us would want one or both of them but still put in to the base fund.
But I do feel very strongly we should many of us on here be up for putting some money in upfront at least the once to try it out and see if we can make a difference.
I don`t think its a charity thing its that businsess sense is going to finish off the hobby before very long unless we can show the two camps that we care and yes lend a hand and show willing and be prepared to put something in whatever, they both take losses on film releases all of the time.
The trouble is that with the nature of film releasing and the things that have to be done, negs made, the machines kept running well etc to print, slit, stripe, record etc, once that base goes thats it, because it would be almost impossible without it, well it would never happen again really.
Many collectors have hundreds or thosands of £`s worth of films so to sell just some odd one or small few to the value of £50 initially at least to fund a venture to keep this great hobby going and too make the two camps feel its worth going on etc isn`t asking too much.
Its juggling a few bits for the future, etc.
Best Mark.
PS I think the last battle scene in saving private ryan is more audience friendly as a bit less graphic, but as I say I`m happy to put my £50 in even if I don`t get the films( but I`ll try) Phil and Denise were very kind to me in the past and Derann have always been very fair and also trusting with me and still are. I think I and many of us owe them a thank you effort etc.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2007 03:15 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not a bad idea. I would be willing to financially support the idea, once CHC and/or Derann confirmed a title.

A GOOD WAY FOR THEM TO DO THIS would be to list maybe two or three titles, then, if at least 20 people agree to pay the deposit on one specific title, they could go to print.

I think the main thing to do now is to get Derann/CHC to put out the word, through multiple souces (REEL IMAGE, FILM FOR THE COLLECTOR, 8mm Forum, etc.).

If this is done, we may be looking at a new release by spring/summer '08!.

James.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2007 03:33 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, don't get me wrong, I agree with you that the hobby needs "something doing" to help. The crux of the matter is coming up with two cracking releases, finding out if the negatives are available and then, doing an "order requiremnt".
However, I doubt that if every collector on the forum would send £25.00 to either distributor, on a whim.
It would be a dream come true for the business side of things and in an ideal world it would be so. The fact that the distributors have done good things (and they have,without a doubt)will "sway the jury" to your way of thinking.
You mention selling off used films to finance this venture. Assuming that we all brought a used film from a member at £25.00, then passed that onto the distributor. There would be a flood of "second hand" stuff on the market and that is precisely what is "preventing" people from investing in new product at the moment. People will spend a little, often on E-bay, to get what they sometimes think they want and then sell it when they are bored with it, or the quality is bad. The money that is spent on E Bay is the money that should be spent on new product.
You only have to look at Derann's and CHC and others used listings to see the what is available. Not "new" I'll grant you, but nearly everytime the lists goes out, there will be a "much wanted" title for someone to buy.
The answer is, as we both said, and James above - decide on two good titles, by running a "ballot" (which we have already started, in effect). Then, get a commitment of 50% of the cost from the interested parties and proceed from there.
My point earlier is, until we know what the distributors think, we can go around in circles forever.
I will speak to the distributors at Blackpool to see what they say, if they don't respond on the forum before then.
If every other forum member who attends, does the same, they will get a "flavour" of the feeling we have for the project.
It might be interesting to hear from "Mr.Elmo" and co. who were instrumental in "Master and Commander" being released, as to what it took to accomplish that?
P.S. I've already done my bit this year by buying three feature releases from Derann, along with other "bits and pieces" (I'm still paying the bills, as we speak) [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2007 05:15 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a nice idea mark but I dont think it going to work. It not just a case of finding two titles but getting the rights and the negatives for them as well. "Saving privat ryan" would be good but its pointless getting worked up over it if its definite no no. And like the others I would need to see what was being released before I parted with any money first. A 400ft reel would be at least £55 - £60.

Anyway, what is the current situation with Derann and CHC. Have they stopped completly printing new films or are they working on new titles at this moment.

Graham S

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2007 05:35 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham, I believe that Derann have a couple of items in the "pipeline", ready to be released at Blackpool (I have no idea what they are, by the way).Classic are asking "what we want" in their latest newsletter, with the thoughts of possibly channeling "film resources" into the other side of the business, which is model railways etc. In view of Phil's illness, any new releases may be sometime away. I think he and his wife will have other things on their mind.
We wish them both well for whatever the future may hold. I was told by a member of Classics staff that he is hoping to be at Blackpool. Here's hoping, from all of us.

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2007 05:44 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I think we will all give our best wishes to Phil and his family at this time.

Graham S

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 05:46 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well they can only go on with trailers if peple buy them, but I think we can`t expect them to just carry on in the current situation regarding risks etc and many things not going etc.
Why should they keep risking it for us if we are`nt prepared to chip in with help etc.
What I`m getting at is lets gaurantee them a decent enough subscribed backed up release to go at. A real success for them and the hobby and us.
I`m a bit surprised there is such a money orientation over this as the amount I was suggesting is chicken feed in relation to the cost now and a 400 feet digest anyway is cheap as anything now compared to £30 odd in 1979, work it out etc, its a fraction of the cost now.
Well I think if we don`t try something like this and show that support now super 8 is going to go even sooner than if we show willing.
If we shoot down every idea to spread the super 8 word or help with releases etc etc well we might as well just get the DVDs out full time now.
Come on chaps surely we can muster more enthusiasm and put in some effort and yes some bloomin cash too if its needed.
Its no good being reactive here when it all folds and then say shame etc what heppenes now. If we as a group on here can`t do something a bit more proactive, at least give it a go!!!!
Best Mark.
Lets get an idea of what we could go for, get some commitments, get it to the neg stage and then go for it.
If we had more money and less kids I`d be prepared to put more in to a project like this because this hobby has given me lots of pleasure over the years, I`d hate to see it go but Apathy is going to fire the final shot if we don`t watch out.

[ November 14, 2007, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: Mark Todd ]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 08:21 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark
I must try and engage with the debate here but I've been ultra busy recently. In the meantine, though, I wondered what has caused you to say no more trailers - have you heard definite confirmation of this? That would be very bad news, especially as trailers must still be relatively easy to find on 35mm.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 08:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be helpful if "Derann and Classic" were to use the forum a little bit more, eg a bit like a weekly chat thing, so we all know what is happening, a more direct link, and can ask questions to them through this forum, its no use saying they might be releasing a certain film later on not knowing what the title is, and is anyone interested in it? [Roll Eyes] if they were to say we can release certain films and here is the list and will you confirm your order with us before printing starts, thats what I would do, if I was in the business of Super8.

With over 800 on the forum why not use it!

Graham. [Smile]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 08:30 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian, yes both derann and classic are finding they are`nt selling enough of them to make it worth while for one reason or another so if we still want them we have to buy them so they can keep going.
They do their best but its the thin edge and the start of the odd leak in the dyke if we don`t support them more, its time to stand up and be counted I think.
While I am on we should all try to buy deranns latest trailers, all superb by all accounts I hear then who knows.
Best Mark.

[ November 14, 2007, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: Mark Todd ]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 09:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark
I dont think trailers are good value for money, I dont buy them anymore, 14 pound for 50ft, running time 2-3 minutes is to expensive, its better they continue to sell something that is more "repeatable" in the long run eg "One Froggy Evening", releases of that standard are better.

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 10:04 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I think I might have mis-understood. Are you saying ponying up the money to get the rights to this or that extract or even (drool) feature?

Although that would be a good idea, I think that this part is more the responsibility of the distributor, (Derann and CHC), as they are in it for the money, of course, (for the love of it too, but lets face it, no money in it, no product.)

But then, if there was a company, (my dream) who would put, so to speak, "stock" in the company, would also have a fair amount of sway as to what is released.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 10, 2007 08:45 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Well I think a trailer for £14 when you look at what £14 gets you today is very good value especially considering all of the effort etc to get one put out.£14 goes nowhere now.
Also its magic, a real piece of runnable film with scenes from a great film to enjoy clacketting through your projector, Nothing quite like it I think.
Classic Home Cinema need to sell 40 copies of a 400` release to just break even, think about it all of that work, not just the packing and selling of the thing, setting it all up, dealing with printing recording even all of that going through the books for nothing until you hit copy number 41 and make your £15-£20 if you are lucky on that one( maybe less). All of that outlay in cash and time etc too.
There is no company in other spheres would even begin to cope with that sort of set up. They wouldn`t take step one out of ten.
When CHC did realse 400`s they were asked for they din`t sell enough as people didn`t come through in the end.
So thats why I suggest we could on here at least finding a decent title and then say yes heres a commitment from a good number of us and yes £20 or £25 each upfront, why shouldn`t we be part of that finnancial leap of faith and get some really good product out there into the hobby.
Why don`t we ask Classic to release the train segment from Spiderman 2 and get a good group and bond up and go for it.
I say again if we can`t even manage that on here and such small initial outlay each how can we expect CHC or Derann to do it for this sort of top quality extract.
Best Mark.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2007 11:25 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would they accept a credit card commitment?

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2007 04:21 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,i would be up for it but a list of titles would have to come into it as other members have posted.Both these companies have an e-mail address so the members that would be up for it should put together a standard e-mail and pass it around and then forward it to the companies,that way all our e-mail addresses would be shown and this would be taken more seriously maybe?Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 10, 2007 04:53 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark, the idea would be too actually get it down to 2 decent realeses working out with them what they have and could do say 400 feet wise and get too 2 decent allround bang on titles.
As Mentioned CHC could if warrented put out a cut from spiderman 2 which I think would be superb and a cracker and hopefully an on going seller if we can put it past a certain point of viability.
For instance if we could from here and our contacts come up with 40 buyers with a £20 or £25 deposit in advance I think it could really be a goer.
That faith deposit could just be paid in the month the film goes to be made into the neg.
As I say I`d be happy to pay that and be part of it even if not buying the film/films though I would want to.
I just think it would be brilliant for us here to actually be part of putting something in too the hobby.
Even on here if we were just party to 2 of these a year from each company if they do carry on we could really make it feel as if its all worth while for them.
For a few years now both companies have put things out some releases that although great have not broken even or only just ( along with a few succeses) but that just can`t go on can it.
We have here the ready made group of lads to inject a bit of possitivity and support etc in and right now is where it really matters.
I agree on the emails, we can pass that provisional contact promisary list along and then we can all be contacted for the faith deposit at point of neg and really try and see if we can make soemthing good happen from here.
As I`ve said earlier the capapcity to release super 8 prints is a multi layered one with various machines and processes etc.
If we loose it that will be it, there will always be somwhere tooled up for 16mm but at a very high cost beacuse of the small commercial side of filming etc still on that possibly but even then relases would be a problem and I believe the costs for 16mm have overtaken the sitaution now anyway by a good margin.
But 8mm is a unique and quite special gauge and it really is a use it or loose it type of thing and I firmly believe that now is the time to actually as I`ve said before stand up and be counted for the good of the hobby before its too late.
Best Mark.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2007 06:42 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,The thing is and also a real shame that you will only now get "part" of a film instead of a really good cutdown with start,middle and end,when for example the Goldeneye or the Matrix extracts are shown(which i really enjoyed)i find that the audience is waiting for the rest of the film to be shown but with a cutdown that doesn't really happen.Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 10, 2007 08:42 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark on that note thats why I think if possible the last 20 mins of saving private Ryan would be a cracker as concludes in itself, if it were possible to find the 35mm footage. Also I`m sure that would be a real winner.
Best Mark.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 11, 2007 08:16 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much as I'd like to see cut downs that provide some sort of an edited version of the film in question, it must be the case that the market will not sustain the costs of someone doing this professionally. The only hope would be that S8 enthusiasts with the right skills were willing to do it 'for fun' or maybe a free print. And of course the master material would have to be available for the editing necessary.

I'd cetainly be willing to put in a £20 advance deposit for a title I wanted although I'm not sure how this would work if I didn't want a title, as I must admit that although I buy new films fairly regularly, the last extract I was motivated to buy was one from 'Gladiator'.

Ultimately, although we can all do our best to support Derann and CHC, and also promote new releases to anyone we know on the 'fringes' of the hobby, the future scope for new releases will depend on bringing in new enthusiasts to replace some of those that have been lost. It's a big challenge that I've given quite a lot of thought to. My conclusion is that we need a group of knowledgeable collectors willing to work together to take forward an 'action plan' that would inlude forming something along the lines of a 'Super 8 Advisory Service' that - via webpages and printed material - would market Super 8 collecting to:
a) Existing collectors lacking knowledge of new releases (e.g. people essentially outside of film collecting circles who may have started buying again due to eBay).
b) People who have little or no knowledge of S8 as a collecting medium, but who have interests that make them more likely than the general public to be receptive to it.

The advisory service would not only promote the hobby - with input from anyone from Derann and/or CHC wishing to support it - but would also offer one to one advice to anyone (e.g.) trying to find a decent projector.

Obviously, I have no idea if such a plan would work, but I think it's worth a try and when I have the time I can say why this is, and go into the strategy in greater detail.

Super 8 has shown itself to be an extraordinary 'survivor', largely due to it's ongoing popularity amongst film-makers; particularly 'serious' film-makers and people using it professionally. They clearly think it has a look and charm all of it's own, and I think there could be scope to try and encourage potential new film collectors to take a similar view of it.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC