8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Collection fading away (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Collection fading away
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 04, 2005 04:36 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just checked a couple of my Ken Elvis 400' releases and both still have good colour. I think one is SP.

Maybe the guys at the labs were Elvis fans and took special care!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 04, 2005 05:21 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange to read about what's happening to your Disney 200 footers. I've watched a lot of these over the last few days and all of them still have their rich colours. But I think I remember one of you (probably Andreas) saying that the French edition of Disney films (by Film Office) was among the better, if not the best.

Most of my U8 are fading, slow but sure. It's a pain, indeed, for the 3D films.

But, I was re-recording the soundtrack of Raiders of the lost ark a few days ago (Marketing 400ft) and having both the DVD and the film being screened side by side was quite enjoyable. Colours were the same.

(Now, why is that post in the buy/sell section of the forum?)

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 04, 2005 11:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Jean your right. Looks like Doug and I are slipping. Anyway It's being moved to the 8mm forum right now.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2005 07:11 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not an expert on colour, but most of my Super 8 colour prints before the 80's are turning apart from the disney prints. I havent checked every disney print though.

I have a derann print of "the Thirty Nine steps" (robert powell) which has turned completly pink. six or seven years ago it was perfect colour.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2005 08:19 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I concentrate primarily on collecting black and white films paticularly since it's somewhat depressing to purchase a used color film only for it to be "warm" or turning. Once this happens, I don't see how a DVD of the same film is considered to be inferior.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 06, 2005 06:14 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, a lot of the early Derann prints have gone that way. I have a copy of the Quatermass Experiment, among others, and this has turned completely pink. These early prints are on Eastman SP which is notorious for its fade. Later prints produced by Derann were on Kodak LPP and these look absoutely smashing still. I had a copy of Carry on Camping from Derann when I first started collecting and this went completely pink so you can imagine my surprise when I picked up a copy which still had great colour. It was on LPP stock. [Smile]
Later Derann releases including thier Disney Features were on Agfa stock which is considered to be one of the most fade resistant stocks available except for the IB Tech and Kodachrome stocks but thats a different story.
If you have a print which is now on the fade or has faded its worth keeping your eyes open for another copy as some of these were again printed before and after the change over to low fade stocks.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2005 01:09 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin, just out of interest is that "The Quatermass Xperiment" as in the B&W film; if so were these early Derann B&W prints on colour stock? Could you mean the colour "Quatermass & the Pit"?

Sorry, not being picky but I'm keen to know because I have considered buying used copies of both "Quatermass Xperiment" and "Quatermass 2" (the original B&W 4x400ft Derann versions) and just assumed that they would be on B&W stock. Don't fancy watching them in Black & Pink [Wink]

On the subject of fading colour, I think one thing we have to remember is that despite the trials and tribulations of film collecting, when it's good it's damn good! I just watched my fairly new copy of Hammer's "The Reptile" at the weekend (again [Roll Eyes] ) and have to say that the colours on this print (lots of subtle blues and oranges) are beautiful and rendered much better than any video projector I have ever owned or seen [Smile]

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2005 01:36 PM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,

My copy of 'The Quatermass Xperiment' is definitely on B&W stock. I don't think I have ever seen a print of this title on color stock.

Actually, from a previous post, 'X, the Unknown' is sold, but Quatermass is still available....

And talking about 'The Reptile'. I would love to see that on the big screen... (Santa...?)

- Rob

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2005 02:30 PM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin and Rob,
Do B&W features printed on colour stock turn pink?
I thought they'd retain the black and whites...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 06, 2005 04:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Your right guys, my mistake it was Quatermass and the pit.
To answer your question about the b/w's on colour stock, Derann have only ever produced this on the Agfa or latter LPP stock so yes they should be ok. If it were on the earlier SP stock then yes that would go pink as well.

Kev.

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 06, 2005 06:10 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the 1980s, when Derann were re-releasing earlier titles, some b/w films got printed on colour stock. I have a Quatermass II on colour stock, and it looks inferior to b/w prints I've seen. You can't generalise, though; I have a Derann re-release of the 600' of The Wicked Lady on colour stock, and it's excellent, and significantly better than all the original PM Films prints I've seen on b/w stock.

I recall that early in the 1980s, around the time that the Super 8 revival was starting, there was a brief period when b/w prints were amazingly cheap - something like 60% of colour titles. Then the cost of b/w stock suddenly shot up in price and they were never cheaper again.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted December 06, 2005 06:24 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old Eastman ages like vintage wine....red wine! [Smile] I have a film about George Eastman, but nothing is mentioned about the fading type film stock. The film was made in the late 1970s. [Cool]

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2005 11:37 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Faded colors is one of the reason I mainly collect B+W films (and the fact that I love B+W). I do have a number of color S-8mm digests and a few features and all have reasonably good color still. I find it telling that certain prints of the same movie can be either completely faded, or the color is still good even when both prints were made about the same time (before 1980). I believe that proper storage is the key. I keep all my films in a cool and dry basement with low humidity controlled by a dehumidifier. I recently obtained an MGM print of "Ben Hur" which has incredible color. And yet you can find the same film terribly faded. While I don't harbor any belief I can eliminate fading from my films, I do believe I can effectively slow it down.

David M. Leugers

--------------------
Live Free or Die

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC