8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Most Expensive Film Purchase? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Most Expensive Film Purchase?
John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2006 07:37 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Kevin, can you give us a brief appraisal of how you re-edited the sequence towards the middle of the film when Richard Dreyfuss is constructing the large model of the mountain in his living room.

I've always found it really frustrating that having edited the special edition back to the original version there seems to be some missing footage around that middle sequence.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 03, 2006 08:18 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me it would have to be the Scope print of "Flash Gordon".
That one had to be broken up into payments but it is well worth it. I loved the film as a kid and to be able to have it now? That is a godsend!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 03, 2006 08:28 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
John, Snip, snip & chop [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2006 03:26 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My most expensive print was "Terminator 2".

It wasn't just that the print cost a lot; it did, although image wise it was very, very good and worth it, but that the soundtrack was only mono and I made the foolish mistake of paying someone unknown to re-record it into stereo for me.

When it came back it was awful; fair enough, it was perfectly in sync. but wowed like crazy! I should have taken it to people who know what they are doing, but unfortunatley I didn't know them back then (aside; "Raiders", John - STUNNING! [Smile] )

I got half way through the first "stereo" reel before my better half laughed it off the screen [Frown]

Since I didn't want to upset anyone, I duly paid up and then took it straight back to the dealer where I'd bought it for the original mono track to be put back.

More expense, but you learn by your mistakes and at least it wasn't going to be hilariously bad anymore! Long story short, it ended up with a stunning stereo track thanks to a very nice person in the West Midlands.

In the end the soundtrack cost me about an extra £100 alone when all was said and done; maybe I'm just fussy [Roll Eyes]

Stupidly, I sold the print a few years back. Hope someone somewhere is enjoying that very expensive soundtrack [Smile]

NO, HANG ON! Sorry to bore everyone, but I just though of another!

"DR. WHO & THE DALEKS".

The 4x400ft Walton Print. I saved and saved for this as a kid and finally, with help from my Dad's credit card got a brand new copy for £100 back in about 1980. Well, despite being a stunning print with many, many screenings, I sold it when I reached my teens to buy a CD player. What an idiot! My print was perfect.

Years later, determined to replace all those super 8's I'd foolishly let go (and still tinged with the imense guilt of seeing my Dad hand over his credit card just to make me happy) I found a print in decent condition.

Sadly, despite commanding a fairly high price due to it's rarity and great print quality, it suffered from a loss of soundtrack; literally. Yes, the magnetic stripe had actually disappeared from huge sections of the film over the years; a problem common to several Walton releases and this one in particular, I understand.

In a strange twist of fate, I found another copy elsewhere about the same time but when this arrived, the same problem had occured. Well, both parties were understanding and would have taken the films back but, on viewing, it occured to me that by some miracle the bits that were missing mag. stripe on one copy were intact on the other!

I took the financial plunge (doubtful if I'd ever get a fully intact copy) and bought 'em both. Then spent days editing the two copies together to make one complete copy with all the sound intact.

I think that adds up to over £250 (isn't that about $500) for an abridged 4x400ft super 8 release from about 1980, plus all the time spent editing (and more time spent last year re-recording the lot from DVD).

Crazy, I know. But I love it more every time I watch it and more importantly, 26 years on, my Dad finally thinks his money was well spent!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 03, 2006 04:56 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Rob that was a great little story. I too have a Walton copy of Carry on Cleo where the same thing has happened. Reel one has got a load of stripe missing. Think I will now do the same as you and look for another copy with the view of doing a repair job unless I find a copy which is intact.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2006 03:12 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a wonderful story Rob. You should be writing articles for the magazine. But haven't I suggested that before.

Kevin they're not biting are they? I think we'll give up on the Close Encounters wind up!!!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 04, 2006 08:48 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John & Kev,

You can fool some of the people some of the time........

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 04, 2006 09:19 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of one situation where someone cut an 8mm print to restore it to the original version. The Derann Std 8 b/w print of 'Evil Of Frankenstein' featured several minutes of extra scenes (without the original cast or sets) that were added to lengthen the film for US TV. They irritated a friend of mine so much that he cut them all out!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2006 11:01 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin and John, you could even chop in that scene at the power station from the 400 footer which isn't in the SE.

Doesn't matter if its all the wrong shape and pink, it'll be complete [Big Grin] [Wink]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2006 04:26 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should mention that Rob, that was exactly what we were going to discuss next.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 05, 2006 07:06 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Your right John that wind up didnt quite work.
Seriously my copy of CE3K does have various splices and it does look to me that the previous owner did indeed cut it so that it matched the original. What I can say is that the cuts were done so that the extras could be put back which they have without any frame loss and have been done with Wurker patches.
Superb film and the 8mm print in stereo scope is a real gem for quality. Keith Wilton has shown excerpts of this over the years at the BFCC on that 24ft wide screen and it really holds it own.....now is this the print he kept cutting up? [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2006 02:46 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My most exspensive purchase was "Beauty & The Beast", and good old Uncle Derek let me have a copy, selected by his good self, 2 weeks before it was supposed to go on sale (pity he picked up a scratched one, still that was sorted out), so for a couple of weeks I had a world exclusive, ah the power of a releasing (then) dealer, mind you I always had a great relationship with Derek, as I was up front about all my plans (plus he did all the printing, striping etc. for me) for 8mm releases.

Tim Halloran
Junior

- posted May 15, 2006 02:51 AM      Profile for Tim Halloran   Email Tim Halloran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are freaking me out with this talk of cutting-up and re-splicing Close Encounters. Just out of curiosity, how do you cut-up a commercially produced sound film like this and re-edit it? Wouldn't you lose all of the sound continuity?

Or is this all a gag? [Confused]

Tim

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2006 03:31 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's all a gag Tim. We were intending to get onto splicing in sequences from the old Columbia 400ft digest reel and suggest that you can get away with the flat sequences from this being projected through the 'Scope lens as no one will notice Richard Dreyfuss suddenly getting fat etc.. But we gave up as no one was taking the bait... until you came along.

--------------------

Tim Halloran
Junior

- posted May 15, 2006 11:55 AM      Profile for Tim Halloran   Email Tim Halloran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Hehehehe. Good to know.

This is an interesting forum. I'm actually learning a lot reading past posts and following along with current discussions. But I guess now I'll have to read a bit more carefully--separating the "facts" from the "fictions." [Wink]

Take care,

Tim

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 16, 2006 05:42 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim and welcome. We dont do this sort of wind up too often.

The point is that the Forum is here to be informative, helpful and fun.

Enjoy.

Kev [Smile]

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 16, 2006 06:44 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alas.....beware! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 16, 2006 09:35 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

Welcome to the Forum.........and I was very close to taking the bait!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC