8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Future Super 8`s. ??? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Future Super 8`s. ???
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 12, 2007 06:09 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of interest, it now costs over 2K`£s to put out a 400 super 8 release, thats just for the neg master and the sound master.All the stock, printing and stiping and recording packing etc still has to be added on top of that.
I`d imagine the first part of saving private Ryan as just a bit longer would be about 2.5.K`s pounds for the neg and sound masters alone
Just for information there is no profit at all in new super 8 releases now , even the odd one or two that just might make it past the break even mark are negated by the larger number not even getting there.
Derann and CHC have put loads of time, effort and money in for us collectors even releasing titles they knew people would enjoy but they would put all of the effort in purely for the hobby and no gain at all.
I`m hoping that its not as it seems that on here most people are not even happy to put in the meerest slip of support in to the hobby for its own sake.
Even if we made 30 of the suggested deposits it would still take another 3K+£`s likely in and still have to pass 40 sales to break even really for either company.
If we are`nt as a group prepared to put in a tiny tiny amount in each for the hooby!!!! what for super 8???
Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 12, 2007 07:01 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This all sounds very depressing but I suggest that we see how Blackpool goes before we reach the depths of despair. We already know that the hotel is filled to capacity and the dinner sold out, so let's hope that the bumper crowd buys the new product on offer in substantial numbers. I'll certainly be happy to discuss the issues raised here with Forum members attending.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2007 04:30 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I'm up for it as I usually buy most of the new releases in this 400 to 600ft bracket, so 2 X £25 down to get some more that otherwise might not be printed is good for me.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 14, 2007 04:35 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Mark.
Best yet another Mark

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 14, 2007 05:18 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it’s worth my own little thoughts would be for a collectable feature. I personally would avoid old musicals as they have been well done in the past by Derann so would aim for a more modern movie with that classic appeal, something to attract younger people to the hobby.

Like our Keith (hope you are feeling better) I have had a spending spree this year on Super duper 8mm buying some superb new prints from Derann and only just completed the shelving to make way for more last night. The simple answer with our hobby is to buy new films to help the likes of Derann who have invested thousands heavily for our benefit. Goodness knows how much Derek spent on that Magnatec stereo recording tackle and the paste striper to make a self sufficient striping and stereo recording facility.

I’ve often thought about putting out my own 8mm feature over the years, but already having a media business which requires 24/7 attention it’s a little unrealistic to launch another venture.

Not wanting to douse the flames when the candle has already been lit but would it not be an idea to settle on a short list of films we would like, sign up a list of agreeing names and addresses confirming a donation to negative & rights costs, and a confirmation each name will place an order for said film from Derann etc. I agree it would be nice to hear more from the dealers on the forum but they do have businesses to run, although as a businessman myself it is important to keep in contact with all avenues of your market.

I greatly admire your efforts and enthusiasm Mark and I hope all put brasso where the words are. The very best to you.

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2007 05:42 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A collectable feature would be nice but, speaking personally, it's not an affordable option at present. One or two 400ft or 600ft extracts is more within my price range at the moment. But, until a list of possible extracts has been drawn up I can't see many people putting down a 'faith' deposit for a title they may not want to purchase.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2007 07:24 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I think might sell on super 8 is a complete modern mini-film which would fit on a 400ft or 600ft film and also one which isnt available on DVD or anywhere else. Classic released an old B/W short "London Terminus" which I dont think is available anywhere else, buts its not modern so we need to find a modern equivalent. Surely there must be a documentry somewhere about say the making of star wars which has been lost in the mists of time and never been seen since it was made, or another film. There are loads of "making of" documentrys made on film at the time it was made. Its just a case of finding that rare short.

But getting hold of the negative and rights is easier said than done!

Graham S

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2007 08:10 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee. - Whilst your at the Blackpool Convention why not "bounce the ball" off Adrian Simmonds and staff,(and Phil, if he's well enough to be there) as to their feelings about what has been talked about on the forum. I will do the same when I get there on Sunday (you'll probably have a better chance, being at the dinner the night before). I would suggest that any other forum members do the same. They are obviously too busy at the moment preparing for the event to look at the forum.
Mark, don't get despondent, as I said before your passion is admirable. However this project will take time and with Christmas looming on the horizon, forum members thoughts and monetary plans probably lie elsewhere at the moment. The response may be more positive and forthcoming after the festive season is over.
P.S. Many thanks for your good wishes Lee, re my health. I'm on the "mend" now and am looking forward to Blackpool.

[ November 14, 2007, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Keith Ashfield ]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC