8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Optical Sound on the GS1200 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Optical Sound on the GS1200
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 02, 2013 11:38 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I installed a new arm (with the metal insert) and it made no improvement in the optical sound situation at all. I have concluded that the optical sound design on the GS leaves a lot to be desired. I think things would have been a lot better if Elmo had left the pressure on the mag heads during optical playback, in order to stabilize the film passing over the optical head.
Anybody know the details of how Eumig tackled the optical sound design on their 800 series machine?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2013 01:47 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Paul! If you apply a gentle pressure with a finger on the arm, opposite the area where the rubber roller is bolted, do you get any improvements? If so try increasing the pressure strength of the new arm.

Also check the lower black tensioner has proper tension.
Good luck

--------------------
Maurizio

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 03, 2013 01:54 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Paul. Some years ago I had a Eumig optical sound model and the sound was warbling all over the show. It took me what seemed forever to adjust it and it’s the only Eumig model I found to be really fussy (on optical obviously) on sound tracks played. My own GS machines I find excellent on optical and a whole different kettle of fish particularly with a much more powerful amplifier inside. It is amazing the sound quality that can be got from that minute optical sound track on 8mm and I fairly often run optical more as a curiosity due to some of the films that made the format. The French also had optical prints out and usually have excellent tracks.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 04, 2013 05:48 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that info Lee. Good to hear that the GS1200 is in fact capable of very good optical sound. Clearly, my projector needs some adjustment of the capstan rubber roller pressure, or the small roller pressure to get everything just right for good optical playback.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 04, 2013 06:01 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul on replay, which is the test I did on mine many years ago,
was to place a little pressure on the sound unit,,which eliminated
any wow or flutter. I then replaced the rubber pressure roller
with the one from a ST1200. i have no skills in electronics or
engineering, I'm a builder for Christ's sakes, but substituting the
flat rubber roller for the "V" shaped roller of the GS solved the
problem of bad sound.
Since then it's been FUMEO for me

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC