8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Porst 100 Sound- not rewinding (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Porst 100 Sound- not rewinding
Urmas Jaagusoo
Junior

- posted August 12, 2016 02:21 PM      Profile for Urmas Jaagusoo   Email Urmas Jaagusoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. So I finally found my multimeter and tested the switch (even two of them). Here is what I did: first red probe on C and black one on NC, result: multimeter shows me numbers. Then I pressed down the little red button and the meter shows 1. Then I tested NO. The red one on C and the black probe on NO, result: meter shows 1. Then I pressed down the red button and the meter started showing numbers. Here is a pic of the multimeter and how it was set up. Was that right? The readings, as I understand, prove that the switch (that devil!) is working?
 -

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 12, 2016 02:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds correct. (I guess "1" is really "I" as in "infinite"?)

The DC motored machines I know have three switches: one for the lamp and two for the motor. If you have two on your motor you should test them both: one bad one is enough to sink you!

-other than that, it could be the mechanism that operates the red button too.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Urmas Jaagusoo
Junior

- posted August 12, 2016 02:42 PM      Profile for Urmas Jaagusoo   Email Urmas Jaagusoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I tested the first switch too (which looks like the middle one I tested before) and I got with button pressed down and in released position (both) running numbers on my multimeter. So there must be the problem? I tested the NC and C. And again- thanks a lot for helping!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 12, 2016 03:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a replacement switch will be needed then Urmas.
From the original numbers the search didn't find anything I did, but it isn't an issue as these type of switches are very easily found.

Just take some physical measurements of it including hole centres, bore size, overall size etc etc, then match it up online with one of the exact same electrical rating or higher. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Urmas Jaagusoo
Junior

- posted August 12, 2016 03:31 PM      Profile for Urmas Jaagusoo   Email Urmas Jaagusoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! Any good advice where exactly on the internet? Could You recommend some good sites?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 12, 2016 03:44 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry Urmas but I have no idea of your local electronic spare parts outlet where you are but here it would RS spares or Maplin etc.

You must be able to find something on a web search from where you are, I'd have thought.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 12, 2016 03:51 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,

What you've found sounds like you have the motor connected (+),(-) in forward so it runs and (-),(-) or (+),(+) (in other words: "zero") in reverse, so it doesn't.

Andy is right: these are a standard style of switches, even if you don't find the exact part number you can probably find an equivalent.

These are also small parts: the distributors should be willing to ship to Estonia and it shouldn't cost a ton either.

Try the ones Andy uses, add onto the list: Newark Electronics and Digikey.

(I've used Maplins myself! -nobody here had DIN plugs!))

While you are at it, maybe you should change them all!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 12, 2016 03:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I take it Radio Shack are gone nowadays Steve?

Oh no. I see now they are still around. Not much of a range in the components section though using the menus. [Confused]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 12, 2016 07:58 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Radio Shacks are few and far between these days, and not at all what they were back when I was a teenager. Back then they were an electronics hobbyist's place, whether your hobby was building electronics on vector boards or amateur radio.

These days they are trying to be a store front consumer electronics retailer, usually with a big box store selling a lot of the same merchandise a mile down the road.

There was a time when they were the most common store in the USA, but not for a long time now.

I still like being able to go and see the stuff I'm buying, but if I can spare a couple of days, places like DigiKey can get me a lot bigger variety of parts in just a few days.

So Long Radio Shack!

Circuit people in general are getting rarer and rarer. Maybe 15 years ago I went to a local college to interview graduating electrical engineers for jobs with my employer. Several of 'em couldn't describe what a diode did, but man! -they knew software!

--------------------

Urmas Jaagusoo
Junior

- posted August 13, 2016 04:19 AM      Profile for Urmas Jaagusoo   Email Urmas Jaagusoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! Just for information, while searching for the switch I found this: http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=next_topic;f=1;t=009318;go=older. Seems someone has had the same problem with the same switch. Anyway, I did some searching on the internet and found some offers that I will be checking out today. I am very grateful for your time Steve and Andrew! I will let you know how it worked out. But it will take about a month or so.All the best!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 13, 2016 04:44 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with your repair Urmas and to Steve,we had the UK version of Radio Shack called Tandy over here.
They were exactly as you described above in my growing up years and the first thing I ever built was a crystal radio set as a kit from them.
I then moved onto sound to light kits from them not surprisingly!
My teenage bedroom was very colourful and highly animated.😆😆

Nowadays, while searching Radio Shack yesterday, I noticed that we now have branches under the same name emerging here.
There is one in Chester which is only around 40 miles from here.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC