8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig 8mm S O&E model film jam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig 8mm S O&E model film jam
Tom Beauchamp
Junior

- posted March 10, 2005 05:17 PM      Profile for Tom Beauchamp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have a jam in the film feeder as it passes through the sound head. I have cleared all of the visible auto feed track and it works great until it get to the area hidden by the sound box. Any one know how to get to this part of the feed system? Any repair manuals available

|  IP: Logged

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2005 08:23 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, silly question but do you keep the end of your leader trimmed.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Tom Beauchamp
Junior

- posted March 13, 2005 10:07 AM      Profile for Tom Beauchamp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, not silly. I have a special film that I use now since I was trimming the other one so much I lost some detail. My leader was shot.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2005 01:15 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this same exact problem with a Eumig 810-d...trimmed or not..standard 8 or super 8. Someone here was nice enough to post directions on the possible cause and cure of the problem, but I 've not had time to work on it to see if it works. Will do in the next few days and report. I'll hunt up that instruction email he sent me and repost it.

Tom Beauchamp
Junior

- posted March 15, 2005 11:54 AM      Profile for Tom Beauchamp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I will be interested to see if it works.

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2005 07:03 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary,

If you find it, I'd be interested to see these instructions too. I have a machine (810 like you) with exactly the same fault.

Cheers,

- Rob

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2005 09:20 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good news for those of you with jammed threading of Eumigs. I was able to fix my jammed new ( off ebay) 810-D Lux....but thanks to you, Paul Adsett, Expert Film Handler from Orlando. I posted my problem back in July and he sent me some instructions. I'm going to type those in here now and then after , tell you that following his procedure and taking the sound head off, revealed a three inch long strip of old film..( home movie film of the previoius owner) stuck in the path , stuck in the sound head so it would not let anything else in . But you guys may have the problems he outlines. At any event , performing his procedure last night got my totally useless Eumig up and running beautifully. and now here's what Paul posted..

" A couple of thoughts come to mind: 1. Are you trimming the film leader correctly. Also make sure you are NOT trying to thread the film with the control knob in the fully clockwise (second position). In this position the sound head pressure pads are already pressing on the sound heads and the film will not be able to push through the sound head path. You MUST thread at the first clockwise position of the control knob"

However it was the second procedure that did the trick....

" If this fails, make sure that the sound head pressure pads are being retracted when you put the machine into the forward for threading position ( first clockwise position). There is a mechanical linkage from the control knob, which pulls the pressure pad downwards from the sound head during threading. If this is NOT happening, you will have to remove the sound head attachment bolt, and pull out the sound head. ( this is real easy-)
Remove the front side cover and bottom side panel ( 1 screw) . The sound head is held in position by one screw and an alignment pin on the chassis. then re-install the sound head WITH THE CONTROL KNOB IN THE FULLY CLOCKWISE POSITION. This will ensure that the linkage engages the soujd head pressure pad tab on the bottom of the sound head."

** That's what Paul wrote....and in the process of doing that, I found the piece of film stuck in there. I suspect there was nothing wrong with the linkage, but doing the procedure revealed that film...and now instead of a junk machine , this morning I have a beautiful mint and perfectly working unit that I got on ebay for less than 100 dollars. **

So that;s what I can offer you guys who had the same problem with yours. But really , if you, Paul, are still on the forum, thanks so much. !!!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 18, 2005 11:13 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gary! Delighted that my advice worked out for you. The fact is that 90% of the problems that people encounter with Super 8 movie projectors are really easy to fix, if you know your way around the machine a little bit. Eumigs are wonderful little machines, and the 800 series are built like tanks. I've had my S802 for 30 years ,and it is still running fine - none of the peculiar problems that sometimes seem to plague the Elmo's. One extra piece of advice that I can offer for the 800 series Eumigs is to periodically wipe the rubber drive discs(above the motor) with alcohol, and blow dry with compressed air. This will keep the rubber discs from slipping against the metal drive ball and wearing out.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2005 01:22 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...paul ....I had the original standard 8mm "Mark S" ...and ran millions of feet of film through it.....over many many years...and that disc finally just wore too thin. I kept it clean, but thousands of hours with that metal drive piece rubbing it ...it finally got to where it wouldn't keep speed and finally just stopped. I then started getting the 810's and 824's just to run standard 8 film. I use elmo 1200hds..and elmo 800's for super 8 and kodak pageant 250's for 16mm. thanks again for your kind advice. Sorry it took 8 months for me to apply it, but it's been a busy time. My wife and I and my then 5 year old daughter will be in the orlando area NEXT march. Perhaps we could meet for dinner or something. I'll buy. I owe you that much. without your advice , I'd be out 90 dollars and have a junk machine sitting there.

Tom Beauchamp
Junior

- posted March 18, 2005 07:19 PM      Profile for Tom Beauchamp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well thanks for all of the advise. I was able to remove the soundhead to check for a jam, saw none, but saw other problems not worth fixing. I have a projector to run silent films but I need one for sound. Am looking at what's available on Ebay or other places. Found 2 Eumigs a s712 and a S802. Not familiar with either any advice from anyone? There are also a couple of GAFs available a 2000s and a 3000s once again not familar with either and help would be appreciated or if anyone knows of other projectors available to meet my needs I would say thanks.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 18, 2005 07:58 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom, stay away from the GAF'S! The Eumig 800 series is more up to date than the 700 series. The S802 is the entry level Eumig, and only has a 2.5 watt amplifier. Try and get an 820 Sonomatic HQS (High Quality Sound) which has a much better 10 watt amplifier, a larger internal speaker, and an external amp socket- altogether a much better machine. All the 800 series have identical mechanical design- truly rugged aluminum cast chassis, and a superb intermittent design which is extremely kind to film. I have never scratched or torn a single frame of film on a Eumig 800 machine.
The 900 series were the most recent produced and a totally new design from the 800's, but do NOT buy any of the 900 series that have the coaxial reel arrangement on the rear of the machine (these machines have no feed sprocket and are murder on film). This includes the otherwise excellent 926GL stereo. Models 930 and up are fine, all having the traditional 2 sprocket in-line film path. The 900 series are noted for their excellent sound quality, better signal-to-noise ratio , much lower 60Hz hum level, and better high frequency response than the earlier 800 series. The ball and disc drive clutch was also greatly improved on the 900 series and incorporated a precision speed control, and the sound head was designed for easy removal of the sound pressure pads to easily clean the sound heads. Of the 900 series, the 938 and 940 are the top of the line stereo projectors, the best machines Eumig ever made. They are not quite as ruggedly constructed as the 800 machines- more use of plastic components to reduce weight (and cost).

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 18, 2005 09:22 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the GAF 3000S is actually a rebranded Chinon projector (6000 or 7000 model, maybe) but as such is a pretty basic machine and you might not be happy with it for long. But do stay away from anything else that shows the letters G, A and F together in a little box. [Wink]
Anyway, you might be interested in a Bauer T500 which is on eBay for $99 (a steal, really) however nobody seems to really be aware of it as it's still waiting to be bought. It sounds like a great machine (800ft capacity, 15V/150W lamp, typical Bauer build quality, quiet, strong amp, etc.) - its only drawback appears to be the rather average Will Wetzlar f1.3 lens, also it's a single-track sound model, no playback/recording of the balance track there. If I didn't have so many projectors already I'd buy it in a heartbeat. [Smile]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7501583335&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Tom Beauchamp
Junior

- posted March 19, 2005 11:41 AM      Profile for Tom Beauchamp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul and Jan you all are awsume to help a old novice. In my youth I was a lot more knowledgeble but my projector worked better then...also :. I am watching the auction for the Eumig and the Bauer. I will probably buy one or the other as the Eumig 802 is around $40 currently and the Bauer minimum is $100 am not sure if the difference in them is signicant enough to warrant the price differential. I also noticed a Bell and Howell up I remember this in name only. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7501663601&ssPageName=STRK:M EWA:IT

[ March 19, 2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Tom Beauchamp ]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 19, 2005 11:51 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the 33ST... quite rare as such, you see the 33SR (the single-track version) more often on eBay. I think it will serve you very well; it's one of the later sound models that B&H had built for them by other companies, this one I think was made by Sankyo. I for one have no reservations - if that's the one you decide you want, go for it [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC