8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Help with Castle Films please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with Castle Films please
Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2006 12:45 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, I have always been a huge fan of the Classic Universal Monsters series of films! However, last night whilst pottering around in my little Cine shed repairing one of my projectors, the time came to test it. The only film I had on hand was the 200ft silent subtitled version of The Mummy. This film I have had for some time as it came in a job lot box that I purchased but I never got round to running the film.

I was delighted when it was over, so happy that I ran it again. I know that the early Super 8 Castle films of the Universal series were all subtitled and silent, but to be honest it was so enjoyable that I have now decided to collect them all.

Below is a list of what I think was available at the time, but would appreciate it if you guys could add any missing titles.

I am also open to suggestions to any other Castle silents that are worth watching like The Invisible Man etc.

So far my collection consists of one. The Mummy. If any of you guys in the UK have any of the others for sale, please drop me an email or send me a PM.

Please remember that I am only interested in Super 8 silent.

The Wolfman

Dracula

The Mummy
The Mummy’s Tomb
The Mummy’s Ghost

Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
House of Frankenstein
Frankenstein’s new brain
The Trail of Frankenstein
Frankenstein meets the Wolfman

The Creature from the Lagoon
The Creature walks among us
Revenge of the Creature

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 29, 2006 01:03 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would you be interested in "Dr Cyclops"?

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 29, 2006 01:06 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig,

You are so right! Those silent Castle 200 footers are great fun to watch. Here are a few you missed:

Son of Frankenstein

Doom of Dracula
House of Dracula

The Wolfman's Cure

By all means check out The Invisible Man and The Incredible Shrinking Man also.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2006 01:29 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc, yes I would be interested. Send me a PM or email.

Doug, I can see that this might be the start of a new chapter in my collection. Honestly they are great fun to watch.

Forgot to mention that I don’t mind if it is an original Castle release or the later Universal 8.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2007 09:13 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are interested in silent versions, the two Universal 8 "Best of Horror" complilations are great introductions. Each contains 8 50' "headline" editions from Castle Films, which were phased out with Universal 8, combined on a 400' reel. An interesting note is that I have seen scans of Universal 8 50' monster films boxes (with the Andy Warhol-type graphics), but, for some reason, I don't believe they were ever advertised as available from Universal 8.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2007 12:45 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right..... I, too have seen pictures of the U-8 headliners, but not once are they mentioned in any of the U-8 brochures. Where and how were they made available?

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 24, 2007 10:14 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was interested to read Carter's mention of the 50 ft U-8 reels because I've never seen one in the UK, even though I've seen the "Best of Horror" 400' reels. Are the 50' releases actually on 50' reels, and are the boxes cardboard ones in the same style as the cardboard 200' boxes?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2007 04:15 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Castle 50 footers came in a small box just bid enough to hold the 50' reel they were mounted on. Ken films 50 footers fooled me at first back in the '60s....they were mounted on a 50' reel, but in a much larger box with an insert to hold the reel. They were sold in all the camera stores around here for about $5.00 USD. I used to watch my silents while playing the latest Beatles albums in the background. The artwork, I believe, was the same for both the 50' and 200 foot boxes [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 26, 2007 06:41 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't get in on the forum to answer, but thanks to my colleagues, the answers are here - the U-8 headlines came in 50' boxes which seemed silhouetted, purple/black, not the actual lithos like the 200' - I had two MUMMY'S TOMB and RIDE 'EM COWBOY, but sold them as I wasn't going to collect another run like that and wasn't keen on headliners anyway, I have four including the color MUMMY'S TOMB box, which was a special buy from a geeat seller in that the bottom of the box was yellow with slightly different advertising - Its a rare one - Craig, there was 31 CASTLE or U-8 releases in S8 Silent of the Sci-Fi/Thriller run, and most are on EBAY or through "live" shows, don't have any, if I get some will definitely contact you - Cheers, Shorty

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC