8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Aux Out on a GS1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aux Out on a GS1200
Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2006 08:39 AM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hava been trying to feed the sound output from the GS into a stereo amp.I hook upped the cables from the aux out on the gs to the aux in on the amp.Nothing happens.What am I doing wrong.Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2006 12:23 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob

That's strange, what you say you're doing sounds right to me. On derek Symmonds advice, I plug the external amp into the monitor outputs on the sound panel, this gives you control of the sound from the projector anad silences the internal speakers, but really there's no reason why that should work if the aux out sockets don't.

What sort of lead are you using? Is it one that allows you a straight connection fron one aux out socket to the equivalent aux in? or does it go through an adapter or into a 5pin din plug? If the latter, it might be that the wiring of the lead is meant for recording and not play back, just a thought...

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2006 02:17 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the problem lies at the amp end. Are you sure it is connected to the right inputs and set to the corresponding input?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 16, 2006 03:45 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob
What you have done is fine connecting the Aux out to the input of an external amp. I would check your leads in particular that you are using a mono jack plug for the Aux out, and not a stereo jack plug instead. Mono plugs are indentified by a single black separating band on there connecting tip. Stereo plugs will have two separating bands.

Graham.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 19, 2006 02:13 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Mike, I've had better result using the monitor outputs, you might want to try that.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Patricia Carpino
Junior

- posted October 19, 2006 04:02 PM      Profile for Patricia Carpino   Email Patricia Carpino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please help:

When I connect to my Aux Out jacks on the GS1200 I do get
"GREAT SOUND" coming out my sound system via my amp. but my internal speakers on the GS1200 do not shut down...they continue
to play and I can use them concurrent. Is this correct... I think not? I would think they are to shut down when I connect to Aux Out jacks?

I also get a small hum that is present soon as I connect the jacks to the amp. This tells me something must be wrong!
It could be some type of interfere from some other "source but I think its a problem and I need a check up!

I can play a whole feature at great vol. and I have no unusual sounds during the show.... but I don't want to hurt GS1200! Any help will be great!

thanks

Pat Carpino

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 19, 2006 04:28 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Patricia, and welcome to the World's best 8mm film forum!
The GS1200 that you own is a wonderful machine, possibly the best Super 8 projector ever made.
Connecting up the AUX OUT to an external amplifier will NOT disable the internal speaker circuit- you can still use the internal speakers if you want to. The AUX out signals will not be affected by any of the projectors volume or tone controls which only control the projectors internal speakers.
Connecting to the Headphone socket on the rear of the machine WILL disable the internal speaker circuit. And the projectors volume and tone control WILL affect the signal coming out of the headphone jack. This is why a lot of people prefer to connect the headphone jack to an external AMP, as opposed to using the AUX output.

You can reduce the hum on your machine by trying a couple of things:

1. When you first switch on the projector (BEFORE THREADING ANY FILM) flip the two red recording butons on and off about 10 times. This will clean the internal contacts.

2. Try carefully adjusting the position of two little yellow hum bucking coils (RIGHT BELOW THE BIG BOTTOM SPROCKET). These are used specifically to reduce mains hum, and their position is quite critical to minimize hum.

There are a lot of us on this forum who also have the GS1200, and we can all help you get the very best performance from your projector.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Patricia Carpino
Junior

- posted October 19, 2006 07:07 PM      Profile for Patricia Carpino   Email Patricia Carpino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GREAT: Thank you for the welcome Paul..! That's the spirit of this site... people getting together with respect for the hobbies they love and the people who respect each other! I see it in the way fellow collectors talk and communicate with each other, with the honor not found in many places in todays Internet
forums. Our mutual interest are so exciting and expanding there is so much to learn and talk about! One can only wonder how the unfortunate can dwell on the negative we see "flaming" across this world wide web.
I am so happy we don't have it here....thanks to you all! I will tell my good friends about this place.

PAUL thanks for the fast info: Im on it! The GS1200 is now kicking out great sound via the HEADPHONE JACK via a proper stereo plug that splits into two (left and right) RCA jacks fed into the amp! I can now control via the norm volume controls on the projector. I also did a test with the two individual jack on either side of the HEADPHONE JACK and find similar sound. I use the two mono
pin jacks for this sending it to the amp.

MY QUESTION IS: What system (Jacks) do you all use or suggest? Do the majority use the HEADPHONE JACK or the Jacks on the sides of the HEADPHONE JACK.

ALSO: What is the proper way to set the GAIN on the volume controls? Low and power up the amp?
Or keep the amp at a low power and drive up the GAIN on the projectors vol. control's? I THINK I killed
a 16mm projector when I was a kid by sending the speaker jack line out into my stereo amp and had to project the last reel of "THE GREAT RACE" (no. 5 of a rental print!) without sound ON CHRISTMAS DAY! O WELL! I guess it was better then the CHRISTMAS EVE I filled the neighbors BATH TUB with
the FIRST reel of "THE OMEGA MAN" (forgot the take up reel..lol!)

Your Help please!

PAT CARPINO

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2006 01:46 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either the stereo headphone jack or the two mono jacks will produce the same result. With regards to the volume the only consideration is to avoid overloading the amp with a level which is too loud. Many amps have an overload warning or cut-off but even if this is not present you should detect 'clipping' or distorted sound to suggest the amp is in trouble. All Super 8 soundtracks vary in level so it really is a case of just getting used to it. I doubt you're likely to cause any damage.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Patricia Carpino
Junior

- posted October 20, 2006 06:40 AM      Profile for Patricia Carpino   Email Patricia Carpino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John.. THANKS! that's sounds good!

Ok now I need to know if one was to use "equalization", where in the system is one to incorporate this...?

Should I put the EQ just prior to the AMP?

Do most showman use "EQ" when running there special presentations???

ALSO PLEASE: THE SINC UNITS EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT:

QUESTION: Can I run my GS1200 IN SINC IN THE USA WITH THE PROPER SINC UNIT IN SINC WITHOUT RECORDING THE SOUND TRACK TO THE FILM?

I.E. : If I don't want to re-record the stereo sound track on to the feature in question, can I just run the dvd DDS or 5.1 TRACK in sinc with the ELMO GS1200?

THANKS

Pat Carpino

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 20, 2006 07:36 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a 10 band stereo graphic equalizer between the AUX OUT and the input of the stereo amplifier system. I see no reason that you could also put it between the headphone out socket and the stereo amp, if you prefer that. The big advantage of using a graphic equalizer (as opposed to the projectors tone control) is that you can selectively attenuate or enhance specific octave bands. For example, I 'notch' the graphic equalizer at 120 hz to eliminate low frequency hum from the projector, and I also notch at 16khz to eliminate high frequency hiss. Many old movie sound tracks tend to be bassy, so you can boost the higher frequencies to improve speech and music quality. I find that the equalizer greatly inmproves the playback quality of pre-recorded movie sound tracks. If you are doing re-recording work, the quality you get on the stripe is usually a quantum leap from what you get on pre-recorded movies from the supplier, particularly if you are re-recording in stereo. In that case, you will find that you don't need to use the equalizer quite as much.
My particular equalizer is a 10 band Yamaha, which has illuminated LED's on each of the individual band adjusters.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 20, 2006 05:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was that? More problems with your GS1200's?

AW!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I JUST LOVE MY EUMIG'S!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 20, 2006 05:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was that? More problems with your GS1200's?

AW!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I JUST LOVE MY EUMIG'S!!!

(ehem, sorry)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 20, 2006 06:46 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ossie,
I also share your enthusiasm for Eumig's, particularly the 938 stereo which I believe is one of the best ever S8 projectors. The Eumig's are brilliantly designed projectors, and for the most part are very rugged and reliable with great performance. The Elmo's are also great mchines, but I think their track record shows them to be less reliable. The bottom line though is that if you want the brightest possible picture the GS1200 is the machine to have. I have compared my GS with the Eumig 938, and the GS is far brighter. On the sound side, there is no doubt in my mind that the Eumig 938 is much better than the GS. I have noticed on both my GS's a tendency to WOW on some films- something which you never, ever, get on any of the Eumig machines.
So I would say that the Eumig is a fine machine for screens up to about 6ft wide. The GS will enable you to get up to about 8ft wide. Anything more than that and you need a GS Xenon or HTI.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2006 11:19 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat and welcome to the Forum.
Indeed this is the best place
to watch a movie.

The expertise and camaraderie, in this hobby
is beyond scope. The stereophonic fidelity is timeless as it
crosses all hemispheres.

Graphic Equalizers are pertinent
for this format regardless of
manufacture, because the hum
can be overwhelming.

These machines are reliable,
but we had a pun for many years
for the Eumigs as 'Hum'igs [Big Grin]

As Paul mentioned, Knotch
filters eliminate the buzz.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC