8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo Sound Problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo Sound Problem
Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2007 10:33 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem with my Elmo ST1200. When I turn on the volume control it immediately goes from nothing to loud and then as you turn it up it gets very, very loud. Any ideas anyone?
Here's hoping,
Keith

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 23, 2007 11:28 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a wild guess (without benefit of schematics), I would say the volume control potentiometer is either open circuit or disconnected on the low side.

I'm sure Kevin can better enlighten us.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2007 06:59 PM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried some contact treatment grease? This could possibly help.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 24, 2007 01:18 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that would be my first suggestion other than a compnent failure.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2007 04:05 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks to you all for your advice. I will dismantle the control panel to give me better access and try contact grease. An electrician friend has given me a can of electrical maintenance spray called NC-123. He tells me that if I spray it on the exterior of the volume control, because of its "searching" qualities, it will find its way into the switch and clean and lubricate. The only warning he has advised is to make sure it doesn't get onto rubber belts or rollers,obviously because of its lubrication qualities. Any comments on this please?
Keith

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2007 07:01 AM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It won't get onto rubbers and rollers anyway as there aren't any accessible at this particular area.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 24, 2007 07:58 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion you need to get any lube/cleaner on to the carbon track and contacts. You will find that where the connections come out of the control there will be an opening where you can safely squirt some cleaner/lube into the control itself.

Never heard of that product before. I always use Servisol

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC