8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Need help with Elmo ST1200 problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help with Elmo ST1200 problem
Alan Paterson
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2007 12:59 PM      Profile for Alan Paterson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chaps,
I've bought a secondhand Elmo ST1200 - sold as seen.
In general it works but with a couple of issues.
The most important one is that the Magnetic sound doesn't work easily. By that I mean that if I press my finger on the green track cover in the sound head area, then I get sound - pretty good quality sound too!
The soundhead doesn't appear to be coming into contact with the film. The pressure plate seems to be on a slider but not enough pressure is being applied to push the stripe against the head.
Is there some mechanical adjustment I can make?
I can't see a screw I could slacken to move the pressure plate closer to the head.
Does anyone have a service manual with exploded diagrams for this projector. That would help.

The other issue is that the heatshield that drops into place for still picture projection is permanently in the down position.
I've used a piece of fine wire to hold it in the up position as a temporary measure, but I can't see if a spring should be attached to it. It does appear to have a little foot on it that would suggest that it is lever operated.

One other thing is that the 1200 foot reel film channel device isn't fitted. I do have it and it looks like you take the white roller guide off and slide it over the shaft then refit the roller. The only problem is there's a tiny circlip stopping the channel device from sliding on to the shaft and I'm worried I'll break it or have it ping 'to infinity and beyond' in removal.
Can these circlips be bought anywhere? Just in case.

I don't have a 1200 foot reel, so I'm hoping someone can supply me with one.
The Optical sound appears to work as the exciter lamp works and I got a prrrrrrrrrrrring sound when I ran a magnetic sound film on it.
Does anyone have an Optical sound cheapy they want to get rid of, that I could use as a test film.

Also the knob from the lamp off-on-full brightness switch is missing.

On the plus side it has a nice bright, steady picture - which I like.

Sorry for the 'War and Peace' effort here.
Any help or advice greatly received.
Kind regards
Alan

--------------------
If God had meant us to run, we'd have been born with spikes in our feet.

|  IP: Logged

Alan Paterson
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2007 05:16 PM      Profile for Alan Paterson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem! (Baaa- sheepish grin)
The automatic threader hadn't disengaged, hence lack of pressure at sound head.
I now have good, clear magnetic sound.
I still need to test the Optical sound.
Also still need a 1200 foot reel.
But, basically a happy man.
Alan

--------------------
If God had meant us to run, we'd have been born with spikes in our feet.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC