8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo S700

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo S700
Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2007 06:31 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to sell my Eumig R-2000 silent projector as i did not really need it anymore as all my films are now sound.

With the money i made from it i thought it would be a good idea to get a back up sound projector to my Agfa Sonector LS

I've bought a Sankyo Sound 700 from and old gentlemen who's had it since new.

A superb projector with excellent sound and a very sharp rock steady picure.

All works perfectly but i have one gripe with it,when the film runs through the film path it becomes quite noisey and was wondering if this is common with these machines or is there something i can adjust or lubricate to solve the problem.

Any Help much appreciated

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 01, 2007 07:31 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter, yes lubing "the films themselves" would most certainly quieten down all prints a great deal and be much nicer through the gate, not much you can do beyond that usually, especially acetate one`s, and more especially again older acetate ones or old ones that never saw any lube at all yet. Lubing will also save a lot of wear on your sound heads especially on paste striped films as more abrasive than the good prestripe glued on laminate tracks.
Its very usual for these Sankyo`s to be loudish in the gate, don`t worry its a fair trade off for a very good and reliable machine that is very kind to film.
Just make sure if you clean the gate etc that it seats back in properly afterwards, they usually do.
Only thing you really need on these to keep films in top order is to keep the top/first sprocket shue cleaned out carefully with say a cotton bud, as deposits can build up in there and lead to odd scratching, takes a while mind and if you lube your films virtually never, but its worth giving it the odd go every now and again.
Anyway happy viewing and hope it serves you well as these good machines have many others.Only small downside is the single claw but with half decent films no worries.
On balance they are probably about one of the best reliability wise, and easiest to use long lived and kind to fims projectors going on super 8 , likewise the 501 701 702 800. and the same built Bell and Howell DCR, DCM and DCT models all on the same chasis etc just dressed differently.
best wishes Mark.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2007 07:49 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark,I'll have to say i'm very impressed with the build quality and it's extremely heavy,it came with everything right down to the original guarantee card and purchase price.

It looks brand new and has seen very little use.

I'll get intouch with Dr.Foster and grab a bottle of his finest Filmguard [Wink]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 01, 2007 08:38 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes thats the stuff and thats the bloke to see for your slightly clattery condition.
Best Mark.
Though he`s just a little north of the other famous Dr.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2007 07:25 PM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well living with the Sankyo over the last few days i've tended not to notice the noise from the film gate so much but what really impresses me with this model is the lens.

I've just run "Creature From The Black Lagoon" in 3D and what a difference compared to my trusty Agfa Sonector,i thought the Agfa had a pretty decent lens but the Sankyo is just razor sharp and the 3D action just oozes out of the screen.

Move over Agfa,the new kid on the block has just stolen your crown [Smile]

-

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 02:59 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you like your Sankyo700 Peter,but wait until you get a stereo800.Sankyo are a great make,in my view one of the best.Andy.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 04:32 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Andy - Sankyos are very much underated - which makes them a particularly good purchase.

You'll also find that if you do upgrade to a 702 or the 800, it's worth holding onto your 700 as most of the mechamical parts are similar and thus interchangeable in case of breakdown [Wink] .

It's also worth looking out for the Sankyo Hi - Pro Zoom lens which is an F1:1.0 - it's a particularly fine piece of optics...

Mike [Smile]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 06:51 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of have the feeling now that i should have gone for that Bell & Howell the other week that Andrew highly recommended.

But at the same time i think this was a good upgrade and i bought it locally at a good price.

Perhaps now i will sell the Agfa and keep my eyes peeled for the 800 or maybe if i can get to a couple of the conventions this year i might be able to pick one up other than the bay

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 07:14 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys.I think that Sankyo 800 is the best there is.Its kind to film,runs quietly.Although i have a claw promblem with my 800,i still think its the best 800 foot machine ever.{see my review}.
Mike,would that little claw out of line promblem be easy to fix,or is it a job for the experts.?

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 04, 2007 07:19 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter the 700 is a damn fine machine and will always be superb for back up etc even when you get an 800, or even the 702 with the 150 lamp is great or the Bell and Howell DCT,

Buying machines locally is the best way you can do it,or in person at an event, buying through the post can be a nightmare and very costly. A lot of sellers haven`t got a flammin clue. And buying through the post off someone whos into cine doesn`t seem to gaurantee you anything.
You can also consider on of the superb bauer later machines, matched with a 1,1 xenovaron are superb and you`ll be pleased to hear super super quiet.
Best Mark.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 08:54 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You gotta laugh,we start talking Sankyo 800 and if by magic ones turns up on the bay [Big Grin]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 04, 2007 08:59 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes saw that, looks nice from up thisaway.
Best Mark.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 12:36 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, looks like a nice 800 on Ebay. Whilst it isn't really important, you can identify the later 800s' by the presence of a mains on - off switch on the rear panel near the inching knob, and the two pin speaker sockets; the earlier models were eqipped with phono sockets.

Andy, sorry I can't help you with your claw query; I think that's for the experts...

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 03:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike.It looks like i would need a line up film,so the claw is in alinement.So one for the experts it is.Andy.
p.s They are still the best 800footers ever made.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 04, 2007 05:17 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, I bought some SMPTE super 8 test film from FFR in Germany. Its this I have used to align your GS after its claw spring problem which meant that I had to strip the whole claw unit down. I used this film for resetting this area once it was re assembled.

I believe that Wittners in Germany also sell this film.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 04, 2007 05:44 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev what would you make of a sound coming from an Elmo claw/cam mechanism that sounds like a small shrill pneumatic drill, bit like a smaller tinnier version of one they use to dig up the roads.Starts after about 20 secs of running when you get it out, sounds very nasty??? Constant after first use and gets worse.Silver st600DM. Ouch.!!!!
Thanks,Mark.
PS springs are on and OK( unfortunately as easier to sort I think )
Thankfully been offered a nice elmo from a good source on here so may not need to throw cash at it.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 10, 2007 02:33 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev, read above please need advice.
Best Mark.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 10, 2007 04:43 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, Have sent you an email reply.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC