8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projector raised from the dead thanks to electronics 101 crash course

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector raised from the dead thanks to electronics 101 crash course
Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2007 08:39 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, I am very happy to say I fixed my chinon sp350 from a 3 week death bed.

A few weeks ago my projector suddenly stopped, and a dastard cigarette burn on my carrie flick.

So I opend it, checked the motor belt, fuses everything and no an idea of what made the motor stop.

Hmm puzzled, I took it to 4 tv and vcr repair shops and none would accept it, I new the jam was electricronic related, but what? I only know the simple stuff, not much about circuits trasnsistors etc.

One tecnition told after he checked it out for half an hour that the transformer was burned, and the switches faulty, so I took it to a transformer repair shop thay had it for a week, and told me the transformer was fine (wierd) and bought new 3 pin switches changed them and still no luck.

So I decided to learn about electronics and circuit boards myself. bought a meter, and started to pull the projector apart to read the board.

So thanks to the internet and my dad who lives in australia who had great patience and slowly through many web conferences (I am in chile on the other side of the world) learnt simple electonics, I felt like an open heart sergeon operating with help via video confrence jajaja, and learnt how the voltage comes though the transformer, gets to the board, goes though a bridge rectifier and turns the current to DC, the goes though many transistors, resistors, regulators others etc till it gets to the motor, but it lost the current somewhere on the way.

After many nights testing the circuits and components, with dad helping me in video webcam conference, testing the components with my meter, till I got to a transistor called D837 (voltage regulator really) that acted weird, so I decided to look for one, no luck so I got a substitute Tip122, got home and tested it and whala!! 14 volts dc in the meter, this must be it I said!!, So I rebuilt the projector and success!!! it runs.

Everything runs perfect, and I even had the time to clean it thoroughly and grease up the gears etc. and now I have my old projector like new running like a pussycat again,

What a success story, and it was real fun learning how the projector works, and a bit of electronics.

Cheers
Pablo

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 01, 2007 11:05 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pablo, congratulations~! That is great news. Its like the first time I took my laptop apart. I removed everything, found the bad part, put it back together and voila! Magic! [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 02, 2007 05:26 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pablo
Well done in getting the Chinon fixed a most interesting read how you went about it.

Graham [Smile]

Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2007 05:33 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah thats, why I decided to post it, it was a real adventure, going around asking who could fix it, and when nobody could or would, I decided to do it myself not knowing anything about electronics, getting my fingers burned many times with the soldering iron, a real challange, and to much fun.

thanks
pablo.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 03, 2007 09:11 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Now you need to learn about the logic circuits on a GS1200. That will certainly keep you out of trouble for a few months [Wink]

Yes electronics can be fun but there's not too much call for that sort of knowledge in this age of disposable electronics.

Glad you got that Chinon sorted and its probably a nice thought to know that YOU yourself sorted it.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 03:20 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now we all know where to send our projectors when the electronics give out. How much is the air fare to Chile?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC