8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Do Anamorphic lens work with both 16mm and super8mm projector?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do Anamorphic lens work with both 16mm and super8mm projector?
Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2007 01:20 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

I have a question to ask, I would like soon buy an anamorphic scope lens and was wondering if they work with both 16mm and super 8mmm projectors.

This is because usually on ebay they sell mostly 16mm scope lenses, (I dont know much about les but need to learn) I would like a lens that can work also with my canon 814 super 8 camera.

What lenses can I get for this puepose?

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 03, 2007 09:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most certianly, and if you have the proper brackets, you can use them on your cameras, (video and film) and shoot your own home videos/movies in scope, then project them in scope. It looks great!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 04, 2007 04:32 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Osi, Dont agree on this one. I think the answer is some of them do.

For super 8 you need a rear element on the scope lens which is quite large otherwise you will get cut-off at the corners especially at the short end of the zoom range. This will be the case with both super 8 cameras and projectors.

16mm projectors tended to be used with longer focal length lenses which is why the scope lenses dont need such large elements.

If you are going to use your super 8 lens at the long throw end of it's zoom range then you may well get away with it but seeing as most people have their projectors in their living rooms then I suspect that wont be the case.

Some 16mm Scope lenses do have large elements and the Kowa comes to mind here. I think it was the Kowa H which was rebadged as the Kowa 8Z. This has large elements, the rear being 40mm and the front being 52mm. This lens works well on 16mm and Super 8 projectors and also super 8 cameras. I have found that even with it's large elements you do still get some corner cut-off at the very wide zoom end on some super 8 cameras.

This lens was also rebadged by Elmo as the Elmoscope 11.

So be careful with your choice of scope lens. You need large elements especially for the rear which really needs to be at least 38 - 40mm across the actual glass element.

There are other Scope lenses other than the Kowa such as the Iscorama 8 and again this has very large elements. I have heard of some people using scope lenses designed for 35mm with excellent results and of course these are very large and can be picked up quite cheap.

Hope this helps you, Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 07:42 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am using a Sankor 16F and find that it is fine all the time I am using it at the small end of the zoom but it quickly suffers from vignetting as soon as I widen the zoom. I guess this lens was designed for 16mm?

From what you say Kev, I guess I should be looking out for a Kowa or an Iscorama?

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 04, 2007 08:33 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes they are two of the best out there or before buying one for Super 8 ask the seller or dealer for the element dimensions.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 11:42 AM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As we are on the subject off scope lens"s I wonder if any onecould enlighten me with information on a scope lens that I have. I bought it from Derann many years back and I have been looking for one the same as it to go with my setup but been unable to come up with anything.It is a KOWA prominar anamorphic lens with the number 42451 on it this is all the info on it,the rear diameter is 52mm). thank you for any info Alex

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 04, 2007 12:31 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Mistake there Kevin. I just meant that you could put it in front of the projector and use it for watching films. I have
what must be a 35MM scope lense (either thator it's a humungous 16MM lense) , and I put it in front of my projector, using books and other set-up to set it up in front of the projector.
I was able to get three seperate lense fittings so that I could screw on the lense in order to photograph in scope. great video photography!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC