8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Another scratch area on the GS1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another scratch area on the GS1200
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 12, 2007 05:25 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found another area of potential scratching on the version 1 GS1200. Just below the gate is a curved wireform that looks like a bent paper clip. It's purpose is to prevent the bottom film loop from scraping on the underside of the lens housing. A close look at mine shows that the film edges have actually cut a couple of sharp edged grooves into the wire clip. Fortunately this occurs at the edges of the film, but I don't like it and plan on getting a replacement wire clip or making my own.
This clip is not present on the later version GS1200'S where the bottom film loop arrangement is totally different.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 12, 2007 05:47 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a gs800 early version with that, I wasn`t too keen on it myself.
Best Mark.

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2007 04:19 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This part also existed on the first ST1200! I removed it and all functions very well!

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 14, 2007 06:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
You can remove the wire but it can make the picture a little more unsteady with certain films. What happens is that the loop of film is then hanging from the bottom of the pressure plate so any disturbance of the loop for whatever reason gets transferred to the pressure plate instead of the wire.

I have also seen that wire with wear but never to the point where it will damage the film.

My suggestion is to just keep an eye on it or try taking it off to see how it runs and make sure that the loop isn't touching the underneath of the lens holder.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2007 01:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin.YOU HAVE A PM.ANDY.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC