8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann CHC and Blackpool news

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Derann CHC and Blackpool news
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 13, 2007 10:23 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its tea break time here and a good opportunity to enthuse about super 8 film collecting away from the video timeline.

Had a nice chat with Derann via email today and they are busy beavering away down in Dudley. My wife might just let me order some new films, so I have to be good. When we called a few weeks ago I was astounded at the level of effort they put into pleasing customers. We asked several questions (my speciality) and they did a great job helping us.

I got a little inside news on the arrangements for the next Blackpool Film Collectors Convention later this year. They have already arranged some big names to attend the event and I am sure Derann will not mind me leaking this hot news to only 700+ forum members. I have already turned down two days filming so that I can stay three days at the hotel. But don’t tell my accountant!
After last years Blackpool Film Collectors Convention I just can’t wait, like many others I expect. Blackpool 2006 was superb and if that event which was superbly staged and supported is anything to go by this year will be even better, if that’s possible.

Also had a chat with young Phil Sheard at Classic and he has the most polite voice on the phone I have come across on the East coast. I noticed on the Classic web site they invite suggestions for future releases so forwarded mine. Needless to say it had to be Terminator 3. Phil did ask me what my fascination with Arnold Schwarzenegger was and I explained that I had always liked the action films. It got worse when one of my corporate video customers spotted my Eumig stereo machine on the bench. He then wanted to see a short film so I put on a trailer reel which contained a Arnie from Derann. Then he asked me could he get Schwarzenegger features anywhere? All this fired me back to my 20’s and the net result is that I mix with a network of Schwarzenegger fans and watch at least one of his films a week. Yes, I am slightly barmy but it helps when you do cine.

Tea break is nearly up.
But what a bargain hobby cine can be. Derann strive to keep prices low for new prints, and I don’t think we have seen a price increase for something like 4 years now? Hats off to them and others who try to keep the hobby affordable. My own view is that Super 8 film collecting is one of the finest pastimes to be found. If you can get to the odd event you can make new friends and further expand on the super hobby of real home cinema.

Brew time up.

|  IP: Logged

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2007 10:48 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goodness me Lee! You have a long teabreak! One of the perks of being the boss, well at least whilst the wife is out! I am surprised you don't put on a feature whilst the kettle is boiling. [Smile] Interesting news about Blackpool. It's always nice to have a "Spy in the Camp". This could be the next Bond film starring "Brooke Bond". Oh no, we are back to teabreaks again! [Big Grin] See you soon, Keith

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 14, 2007 06:45 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope they paid you well to say all that [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 14, 2007 09:21 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, your mail just made me fall off my chair laughing!

First minute I have had to look at forum today as been doing an interesting job for a national org. BUT the good news was that I took delivery of some new kit today and a new film.

Joke as you might I do pop on a super 8 film in the studio as I always have a projector out and set up. I even have a pull down screen which is black out backed here so a full blown film show is never more than a minute away.

These once in a lifetime days are for living and you would be surprised at the number of my regular customers who if calling on my lunch break ask to see a short cartoon. I don’t think the child in us ever leaves us do you, certainly not in my case.

Happy days!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC