8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » super 8 picture stability & reliability

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: super 8 picture stability & reliability
Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2007 04:05 PM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two things regarding super 8 projecting i've been curious about for many years, and i would appreciate your opinions about them. The first one has to do with the lack of absolute picture stability more or less obvious between different s8 projectors, which can be often intrusive and obvious to even inexperienced audience, by contrast with the 100% 35mm stable picture we all experience in cinemas. Does this have to do with the film format itself, with the film age & condition? Or is it inevitable?
The second thing is the much discussioned projector reliability: Does this,apart from the build quality itself, depend on the working hours or on the way the owner treates the machine regardless of the hours of use? To put it another way, let's suppose i own a projector with many plastic parts, a BOWER T525, or an EUMIG 938 for instance. Should i take for granted that they'll last much less than, let's say, my Elmo st1200 which has the advantage of much less plastic, or do they just need another treatment, long pauses between watching different films that might help the relatively sensitive plastic parts to cool down, for example?
Hope i haven't written too much! Thank you in advance!!!

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted February 25, 2007 04:18 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tassos, try coating your films with Filmguard. I had the same problem with unsteady film projection. Filmguard lubricates, cleans and even improves picture quality. Do a search for Filmguard and read about it.

As far as projector wear. The better made the projector, the longer the parts will last. If possible get a junker projector for replacement parts. Also, check out the free projector manuals here at film-tech.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2007 05:10 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tassos.
Personally I don't think projectors' picture steadyness is so bas as you say: I happen sometimes to experience worse film registration even in top-notch multiplex cinemas. If a S/8 prj is in perfect working conditions, image stability is really good. Obviously I am referring to optical prints here which are only unsteady if a printing problem occurred or (more likely) if the film hasn't been treated like Dan suggested. Lubricated films are much less noisy and very noticeably steadier than a dried-up old print (or even a green printm for that matter).

When screening camera originals though, it's a totally different matter; in fact steadyness in that case relies on camera and cartridge precision, much more than on the projector. You get almost perfet results in terms of imafe satbility with some cameras and cartridges, but cheaper cameras may deliver not prefectly registered images. This is inherent to the format, because of its tolerances in both the cartridge and the camera. Some people claim it can be corrected with a small additional pressure plate called "frame master", which I tested and didn't find convincing at all.
The best is to live with that, using S/8 for what it can deliver.

--------------------
Maurizio

Tassos Laudas
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2007 05:16 AM      Profile for Tassos Laudas   Email Tassos Laudas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan and Maurizio thank you for your answers! Dan i've already ordered this filmguard, Maurizio i'll certainly live with some small s8 inadequacies, it's just that i was wondering how i could avoid this frame movement which all my s8 projectors present. The funny thing is that some optical prints i own have the most steady picture...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC