8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » FUMEO CLASSIC S8 Did it ever get made?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FUMEO CLASSIC S8 Did it ever get made?
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 02, 2007 04:10 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 2002 much hype was around about the new Fumeo Classic S8 Prototype projector here in the UK. My question is, did it ever get made?

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2007 04:13 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly not.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2007 04:50 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not made? Why does http://www.classichomecinema.co.uk/ still list this projector as "for sale" under "devices" then?
"THE LAST 'CLASSIC S8' PROJECTOR: 2400' SPOOLS, 250W LAMP, STEREO £2500 BUILT BY FUMEO TO OUR SPECIFICATIONS - MODEL 9132 - OUR S8 SWANSONG!"

Jörg

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 02, 2007 05:09 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John. Reading Keiths test report and looking at the internal pictures the machine itself may have been on a hiding to nothing. I do admire young Phil for trying though so hats off for the effort, and also to Keith for the page on the web site which helps inform.

These days there are so many used projectors around that were mass produced with high tolerance production methods, you have to wonder if another was required after all.

One of my clients we were making a video for last year had contact with a factory that did short run engineering & electrical manufacture. I did ask around at the 9.5 Get-together last year if anyone would be interested in a made to measure projector which the company were able to construct. Nope was pretty much the answer. I still think a new machine is doable, but the cost today may well make people run a mile when you can pick up a Sankyo on ebay for around the £50 mark.

Better go as doing a VHS transfer job at present that needs my eye. Crumbs, there is a bloke on the TV that looks just like Tony Rose. IT IS TONY ROSE!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 02, 2007 05:40 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
The machine on Phils website is infact the prototype. I think the real issues why this didn't see the light of day were that Phil needed to get a certain number of firm orders before it went into full production and the other was that it was playback only with no internal amplifier. This meant that you had to supply your own amp for playback of sound films.

Now at £2500 when as Lee said you could pick up machines for anything from £50 to £1000 with full playback and record facilitates, it really didn't stand a chance [Frown]

When Phil gave it an airing at the BFCC it was on a small screen in the back corner of the room. It should really have been used to show some of the films during the shows which would have been far more impressive but unfortunately it would not have stood up against the GS 1200 Xenon which KW uses. Now if it had a Xenon lamp and full built in amplifier then it would have been a real beast for putting on film shows.

It would have been great to see a new machine with no problems of getting spares but sadly it wasn't to be [Frown]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 02, 2007 05:48 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what would even be better than a new projector is if someone could produce a rebuild kit for existing ones: identify all the wear intensive hardware of a good, common model and sell it in a package.

Certainly in some cases modern components would need to be provided with some adapters to fit, but it would knock out the vast amount of costs involved.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 02, 2007 06:21 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats an interesting idea Steve. FFR in Germany are now producing the input guide which wears badly on the Elmo machines as well as having some of the other parts.

Having said that Its possible to put small rollers into the GS1200 and other models which stops it from wearing and then scratching film.

Where most other parts for these machines are concerned it possible to have motors rewound and other parts of the electronics replaced with more modern parts so it's not too bad to keep these machines running.

Yes a kit of parts would be a great idea but the cost of having moulds etc made is very expensive indeed.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2007 04:16 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil may still have the prototype for sale. If the minor glitches were sorted out in the end then it would be a worthwhile purchase for someone looking for a Super 8 projector to last forever... or even longer.

Now what's this about TONY ROSE Lee?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 03, 2007 05:32 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
FFR in Germany are now producing the input guide which wears badly on the Elmo machines as well as having some of the other parts.
Are they, really? I've contacted Ralf at FFR many times since last May and he's always answered that the parts would be in production soon. Last time I checked (before Christmas), parts weren't ready...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2007 07:04 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ August 07, 2008, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 03, 2007 08:30 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
JM I bough one from them last year. See this link below to my earlier thread about this guide.

Metal Input Guide

Bought it from them in May last year.

Kev.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 05, 2007 02:40 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, yes, I know, you showed it to me in Ealing.
But since then, as explained, I haven't been able to order one from FFR, they were either out of stock, or in production... [Frown]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 05, 2007 09:33 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes your right JM. I forgot about that. I wonder if they are having problems getting more made? shame [Frown]

Kev.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC